Thread: New Reel

New Reel

I bought a new reel today for $99 they are usually $160. It is an Abasadar 6500C4.

Kingcobe
    Go mighty Broncos

Go Wallabies

Re: New Reel

now the fun begins to learn how to cast it without birds nests

great little reel

hmm bit of practise and you should be right, i just bought one, get the occasionaly teradactle next but getitn better

davidgrifin44

that was the 1st baitcast reel i ever baught. but i bought the 5600 model. things that helped me with casting where, using braided line (or fireline in my case), it is so much easier to cast without getting a birdsnest then mono. i also found that filling the spool two thirds of the way will prevent a lot of bird nests, rather then right to the rim of the spool. but in my experience i found this to be only the case with abu reels. other reels like the calcutta will not cast to well unless they are filled to the top. It is a very strong reel, will handle many large fish.

Dave

Hey Kingcobe,

you've got a nice reel there...I've had one for yonks, relatively easy to use and maintain.

The initial trick in using it is to adjust the bearing cap on the left hand side so that when you drop your lure to the ground there is no over run. You can also get some different counter balance weights to hlep stop overrun when using heavier/lighter casting weight.

What line are you using and what rod will you put it over,

I bought mine to put on a medium saltwater Crystal tip and loaded it with 8kg Tortue for a barra trip to the cape...had a couple of hook ups and the outfit performed really well, even though I never got to land the blighters...angler error rather than gear failure...

After a session fishing, I usually rinse it in fresh water, dry it, wipe it over with inox or some other anti corrosive spray and wrap it in a cloth til next time. I'm sure if you look after it you'll have it for a long time and have lots of stories to tell to boot

cheers

Rhys
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

Thanks for the advice Rhys. I'm spooling it with 8lb line on a Sigma BC 1997-165 2-4kg. Dad reckons the rod can handle more than the 4kg suggests as it has a stiff action.

kingcobe
    Go mighty Broncos

Go Wallabies

Quote Originally Posted by kingcobe
    I bought a new reel today for $99 they are usually $160. It is an Abasadar 6500C4.

Kingcobe
    nice purchase mate. I have been waiting for ages until this reel went on sale, if you dont mind saying where abouts did you buy it from.
    cheers
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by daveatron
    [quote author=kingcobe link=1132132478/0#0 date=1132132476]I bought a new reel today for $99 they are usually $160. It is an Abasadar 6500C4.

Kingcobe
    nice purchase mate. I have been waiting for ages until this reel went on sale, if you dont mind saying where abouts did you buy it from.
    cheers
    dave[/quote]

Dad says we're not allowed to say the real name so I've been told to say "A Fart All Sorts". They're on special but I don't know how long for. I've been saving my pocket money 'cause dad says that you always get good deals just before Xmas.

kingcobe
    Go mighty Broncos

Go Wallabies

Good on ya king, many a good fish is caught from a small baitcaster . Sounds like u got a good bargain, hope you get into a biggun

I'd a thought the kingtin would've named it "old fats all sorts" Cobey...for us olde fisho addicts going there is better than giving us a box of chocolates

Sound like your putting together a reel nice outfit (pun intended)

will you be primarily using it for SP's, hard bodys...targeting ????
    ><((((º>.¸.•'´¯)

Life is a mystery to be lived, not a problem to be solved, Gabriel Marcel

For me learning to avoid birdies was made easier by starting with a heavier sinker on the line, and then working my way down in weight. There seemed to be a minimum weight below which it was virtually impossible to cast properly. (I have no doubt that someone else could have succeeded.)

Start off away from trees. Most of my early catches were gum trees.

It is good fun learning how to use it. They are a great reel to use in the boat.

good onya king,
    there a great reel.Ive landed 2 x110cm barra with my 5600c4. on 50 lb braid.so you can be assured they are almost unbreakable so long as ya look after it like revs says.Tight lines buddy!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by revs57
    I'd a thought the kingtin would've named it "old fats all sorts" Cobey...for us olde fisho addicts going there is better than giving us a box of chocolates

Sound like your putting together a reel nice outfit (pun intended)

will you be primarily using it for SP's, hard bodys...targeting ????

we have caught most of our big flatheads on drift with SP's. so i am going to have a go with them alot.

kingcobe
    Go mighty Broncos

Go Wallabies