Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How old can fuel be ???

dick_inc

How old can fuel be ???

Hey guyz n gull's just a question for you smarty ack's out there , When is your pre mix fuel to old to use ? I have had a tank of fuel for about 6 months that I haven't had the time to use and seems like a waste to discard it, also can you revive it by adding more new fuel to it.????

Cheers Chris [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

Re: How old can fuel be ???

about 3 months then it starts to deteoriate

NeilD

From what I have been told there is a measurable drop in Octane levels after as little as six weeks. There are products to stabilize fuel and they also increase the octane level. You may be able to top it up with Premium to boost it but I would be suss about running it through my outboard at 6 mths old.

Neil

Mate,there was a time when I was in the same position and I syphoned about 80lts out of the tank and then added new fuel and 20 or so Litres of the old fuel plus a fuel conditioner and made sure that I did a fair bit of boating till the old fuel was finished. I had no problems but then I most probably would not say that I would recommend it,maybe I was just lucky and I make sure that I don`t get into that position again.

Serious question: where could you get rid of a large amount (30-150l). I've heard of people sticking it in mowers, but it would take years to use that amount in a mower. Massive bonfire?

Serious question: where could you get rid of a large amount (30-150l). I've heard of people sticking it in mowers, but it would take years to use that amount in a mower. Massive bonfire?

dbl post

i'v heard of people putting it in their cars as they say the cars fule system isn't quite as fussy BUT not sure i would be putting it into my brand new toyota might think about it is the car was say older than 6 years or if the fule looked and smelt alright

Would there be any problem in using say 10-20% of the old fuel in your car with the balance being fresh fuel?

??? ???

Morlers

6 months and especially being pre-mix then extremely suss and one would use that at one's own risk.

Dilution is one way of using it up in small amounts and really you don't indicate just how much you have and in what type of tank. If it's been fully sealed and depending on the quantity then mixing with PULP (and appropriate oil) you might sneak it through in several batches but the decision is all yours.

Cheers, Kerry.

I got in touch with BP Technical 1300 130 027 and was informed that all I had to do was have a tote type tank of good (new ) premixed fuel to start my outboard on and when it was running switch over to my u'floor tank (fuel was about 8 months old ) and all would be well.
    I followed these instructions and had no problems at all, burned up 150l of 8 month old premixed fuel and could not hear or feel any odd noises or lack of power etc.
    I have done this 3 times now as above.
    cheers baldy

NeilD

If the fuel is not good enough to start my motor on I certainly would not use it. It is not a catastrophic big bang I worry about but the long term damage. I put some old boat fuel in my old Landy once and it played up something shocking ande fouled the plugs.

Neil

Guys
    Do not use pre-mixed outboard fuel whether it is old or new in any four stroke automotive engine . We used by mistake some pre-mixed outboard fuel in a four stroke compressor engine on a safari to the wide barrier reef once and it loosened carbon deposits from the cylinder head and lodged them under the valves requiring a bush stripdown . The result is likely to be the same in your automotive engine . Unmixed fuel for a four stroke or an oil injected engine could be used diluted with good fuel safely I reckon .

Chris

dick_inc

Thank's for your replys ppl , now I have to work out what to do with it, I don't think I'll put it in the car , it's in a plastic container about 50 lts, I might just try putting in 10% each time I fill up. once again thank you...

Cheers Chris

p.s were can you get rid of it if you wanted to ?

NQCairns

Hi Baldy, I is worried about you It's your boat and your the skipper, so excuse the butting in but that is one hell of a gamble, dont know what motor you have also. In premixed fuel that old the oil has a habit of pulling itself away from the fuel and cannot lubricate as it should, if you were running 50:1 then you may have run 100:1 in reality. Hate to think what you were running if it is a 100 to 1 mix originally.
    Then there is the octane loss over 8 months with a tank that is open to the atmosphere (via the breather). The only way a person could know if they did not do any damage is by a compression test before then after. Your motor should/would have been detonating the whole trip unless you retarded the timing to run that fuel. If it is a 6 cyl you are lucky you still have it IMHO. Ring that guy again and tell him you are taping the conversation and see what advice you get . At least you know that your motor is well tuned with no minor lean conditions or timing too advanced because it's still running fine. Just worried about a fellow FNQ'er is all.nq