Thread: Divets in boat hull

Divets in boat hull

How much are these divets in the hull going to effect my boat?

Both divets are about 30cm long and start approximately 1 metre in front of the transom.

The one on the port side is 10mm deep while the starboard one is only about 8mm deep.

I understand it's nea4ly impossible to get a aluminium hull dead straight but this seems a bit excessive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Divets in boat hull

Is this a new or used hull? If it has seen some work, that has come about from frames being too far apart for the thickness of the hull material , and water pushing it in, or having the wrong kind of trailer supports ( not the ones in the photo) putting weight where it shouldn't be. If it is a new hull, I'd be very unhappy. And yes, it will affect performance.

Heat distortion from welding by the looks....shrinkage occurs at every weld...sometimes it affects between welds like this.
    This will have an effect on economy and performance, how much an effect is debatable.
    If it was not for the skid you would likely not notice it as easily.
    All welded boats have this to some extent.
    Jack.

It's a brand new boat and the rest of the hull looks ok.

The boat builder is aware of it but doesn't want to fix it as it is a big job which involves cutting out the floor.

I'm just trying to figure out how much top end these divets are costing me.

I've seen a test of this hull with a 90hp yamaha doing 68km/h while I'm only just getting 63km/h with a mercury 115hp pro xs and next to no load on board.

Any recommendations on who I can contact to have someone inspect the boat and give a report on the hull. Brisbane based would be a big plus.

Are you propped correctly?
    How easily does it hit WOT?
    what revs are WOT?
    Jack.

Running a Mercury inertia 14.5 x 17p and I seem to be getting close to max rpm of 6300, I'm currently hitting 6250 with 2 pob and less then half a tank of fuel.

It gets to wot pretty quickly.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Top end is where you will really notice that, effect will be exponential with regards to speed.

Finally got to take the boat for a proper run on the weekend and a few things I noticed.

2 adults and a child on board, electric motor and a bit of fishing gear.

I'm thinking the boat is over propped because I struggled getting the rpm to 5900 even fully trimmed out and in the calm of the creek.

At 40km/hr in a 20-30cm chop the boat wasn't too bad but once I got to50km/hr the boat would be fine for a bit then would start acting up.
    The bow would rise up as normal then come down hard to the port side. The only way to stop this was to back off the throttle until the boat settled into a normal ride again.
    It had the feel to me of diving head first over an obstacle.

The boats heading back to the builder in Bundaberg on Monday to get the hull fixed then I will start looking at propping a bit better.