Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight of motor on transom

Re: Weight of motor on transom

I am wondering if you have a flooded bulkhead?
    Jack.

Hi mate. No, floor and sub floor are both bone dry. I have access hatches to check along with clear bung holes under the floor to drain everything to the back.

I think the full lack of freeboard makes sense. It does have thick flooring and I did reinforce with a lot of timber. I think it would absolutely be heavier than original. Just another thing I never considered before I spent a lot of time, effort and money haha!

Right - so you're thinking it's not a specific stern issue. It's just an overall weight concern?

I can see how that might be the case too. It's a 90 ltr underfloor tank that was probably 50-60% full in the pic. So that's at least 40-50kg in the floor.

Other than that, I guess because of how much timber I used to reinforce, there could be more weight across the entire vessel vs original. I grinded out everything to start from scratch, but didn't really take any notice of original weight. What I had thought is that with removing the top (dash, windscreen etc) that things would even out. I just can't see where I would have added significantly more weight though...Even if I've added too many glass layers etc, would that put that much extra weight?

I'm not happy with the underfloor tank as it is, so will likely cut that out.

Outside of that... I'm ever going to be adding weight to the vessel (bimini, fishing gear etc).

Hard to tell from your pic, to be honest - with you and your kiddo in the driver's seat there's additional starboard roll as well as significant stern bias. If you could get a photo of it floating without anyone onboard, you could get a better idea of how it compares to 'stock' via comparison with other photos on the web.

The V16R is a relatively narrow, shallow runabout hull though and doesn't have the displacement to float extra weight well. Add four 80kg'ish blokes and a 135L tank to a V16R with a Yamaha 90hp 2-stroke (120kg) and it's looking pretty slammed per the photo below. That's about 560kg motor + fuel + people; you're at about 400kg with motor + hydraulic steer + fuel + yourself + kiddo, with much of that weight biased towards the back.

I think original rating on them was 90hp 2-stroke (125kg) + 25L fuel (25kg with tote) + 4 persons (300kg) = 450kg, but most 16' runabouts of that era recommended 4 persons only in calm seas. In rougher seas, motor + fuel + 2 persons totted up to just 300kg.

Stock.jpg

Adding weight during the rebuild would not create your issue….unless you added lots of material to the stern only, but if you made the floor and stringers bigger and heavier, it spreads the weight evenly around.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Hard to tell from your pic, to be honest - with you and your kiddo in the driver's seat there's additional starboard roll as well as significant stern bias. If you could get a photo of it floating without anyone onboard, you could get a better idea of how it compares to 'stock' via comparison with other photos on the web.

The V16R is a relatively narrow, shallow runabout hull though and doesn't have the displacement to float extra weight well. Add four 80kg'ish blokes and a 135L tank to a V16R with a Yamaha 90hp 2-stroke (120kg) and it's looking pretty slammed per the photo below. That's about 560kg motor + fuel + people; you're at about 400kg with motor + hydraulic steer + fuel + yourself + kiddo, with much of that weight biased towards the back.

I think original rating on them was 90hp 2-stroke (125kg) + 25L fuel (25kg with tote) + 4 persons (300kg) = 450kg, but most 16' runabouts of that era recommended 4 persons only in calm seas. In rougher seas, motor + fuel + 2 persons totted up to just 300kg.

Stock.jpg
    I literally think I just watched a YouTube vid of this guy rebuilding this 16 last night! And they dive from it.

That pic does seem similar to mine in that it sits with fairly low freeboard.

Interesting. The more I look at all this the more I actually think the boat might be absolutely fine. I still think I'll drain the tank and see what that does, and I'm pretty sure I will look at a much lighter 4-stroke. 185+ kg on teh stern is annoying, especially when I want to fish out the back of it.

Your point about the narrowness of the hull is very on point too. I have noticed how skinny it is. Even tough to get two normal seats side by side with room to pass through!

Quote Originally Posted by pundy14 View Post
    I literally think I just watched a YouTube vid of this guy rebuilding this 16 last night! And they dive from it.
    Yep, that's the one - I snipped it from his video. Minimal freeboard like that is fine in calm conditions but would be worrisome in chop, especially given the V16R's tenderness at rest. What's acceptable depends entirely on your intended use and the conditions you're out in.

Personally I'd run with only the fuel needed for the trip (plus normal 1/3 reserve) and some weight up front that approximates the 'leccy, batteries and other gear you're planning on fitting. See how she behaves at sea and sits at rest under those conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Yep, that's the one - I snipped it from his video. Minimal freeboard like that is fine in calm conditions but would be worrisome in chop, especially given the V16R's tenderness at rest. What's acceptable depends entirely on your intended use and the conditions you're out in.

Personally I'd run with only the fuel needed for the trip (plus normal 1/3 reserve) and some weight up front that approximates the 'leccy, batteries and other gear you're planning on fitting. See how she behaves at sea and sits at rest under those conditions.
    Ultimately - the use of this boat would be fishing in both freshwater, estuary and PPB/WPB here in Melb. I've been on WPB before where it seems to blow up out of the blue and wind against tide, and that was hairy enough in an enclosed boat. Regardless, I'll only ever be taking this boat out in conditions I'm comfortable with. i.e. if it's due to blow up, I won't take that risk.

Thanks for all your advice with this!

Take a photo with no one in it and a sandbag to offset the console sitting level

looks like it’s tilted towards the camera with you in the seat and the kid as well

Quote Originally Posted by pundy14 View Post
    Hi mate. No, floor and sub floor are both bone dry. I have access hatches to check along with clear bung holes under the floor to drain everything to the back.

I think the full lack of freeboard makes sense. It does have thick flooring and I did reinforce with a lot of timber. I think it would absolutely be heavier than original. Just another thing I never considered before I spent a lot of time, effort and money haha!
    Yer you only need 9mm ply glassed both sides with support for a floor ive seen rebuilds here were 25mm ply for floor and front deck was used live wells and yep the old motor wont push it,and then you have to think about what your boat can rely carry in considering the build plate more weight less people and gear remember your the skiper and its all on your head these days modifying boats outside of the original specs can lead to all sorts of trouble these days.

Have you thought about some bouyancy pods to help take the weight of that motor??????

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

I rebuilt a 16R a few years ago with foam/epoxy.

175litre underfloor fuel tank, 2xdeepcycle 12v batteries forward, 2x12v batteries in rear.

I was initially concerned about water coming in over the wet-well in open ocean, but, bow always points into the wind and swell at rest, so not an issue.

I made some sponsons to attach to the transom, but decided not to start grinding and tabbing again. Happy to sell them to you if you want to go that way.

Send me a message if you'd like to see my FB rebuild page20201004_080937.jpg
    Last edited by Stressless; 15-06-2024 at 07:32 AM. Reason: pic didn't attach