Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lithium Battery Fire Mitigation for Boats

Re: Lithium Battery Fire Mitigation for Boats

Unfortunately even manufacturers can cause havoc, so many times I've seen Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries referred to as Lithium Ion in their spiel it's no wonder people can get confused.
    Add to that cheap Ion batteries with almost no BMS and crappy chargers and houses sustaining severe fire damage, mostly from escooters only helps to confuse the issue.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Re: Lithium Battery Fire Mitigation for Boats

I was in the hobby battery selling industry a couple of years ago, and the most likely cause of fires in the lithium family was lithium polymer, worse than Lithium Ion. Lipo has more energy density for its weight but is also easily punctured if not hard cased. They ignite when that happens. But by far most of the accidents were caused by operator error... incorrect charging. Previous to my retail hobby business I was an electrician and almost any energy storage type, lead acid, nimh, or nicad had the potential to catch fire or explode if mistreated. imo modern LFP batteries are much more stable, but the idiots who buy them and mistreat/misuse them are still the same lol.