Thread: Haines Hunter v16 side console

Haines Hunter v16 side console

rebuild finish 2.jpgHi all,

New to subscribing to these forums, but have been an active reader for a few years now. Thought I may as well spend $10 and contribute too!

I bought a dead/dying 80's Haines Hunter v16r that had it's lid chopped off. I paid $500 for it (including a rubbish trailer), and the previous owner had attempted to repair coaming and turning it into an open boat. My family has always been around boats, and decided we'd use it as a project and create a bass-boat like set-up and bring her back to life. That was 6 or so years ago... I grinded and prepared the boat for a shipwright to put new stringers/transom other modifications and floor.

Looking at the hull, we think it's a late 80s 16, but if anyone could confirm or knew more, would be ace!

I think the boat looks great! It's been water tested and even fished out of a handful of times. With the wrong prop, and some of the issues that are the purpose of this post - it does 68kph comfortably, and rides so beautifully! Speed isn't importantly me, but it certainly showcases to me the hull is awesome.

I made a few mistakes on the way that absolutely come from having no idea what I was doing or exactly what I wanted. Some of these mistakes have led to a few issues I'm trying to get more advice on and resolve.

1. I had a 90ltr aluminium fuel tank glassed in the floor both without a large access hatch and part of it going underneath my side console. There is a very strong smell of fuel under the floor. I've stuck cameras in the floor, filled the tank to capacity, tipped the boat up, and cannot see any fuel at all. I managed to find a pin-hole in one of the breather hoses, so replaced all the hoses to ensure it was fixed. When doing that, some fuel inevitably leaked (maybe half a cup?). But once completed, I have aired and washed out the cavity where the fuel was. In addition - There are multiple drainage point under both the the floor and sub-floor. To be specific, there isn't anywhere any liquid could pool when I tip the boat up. There is still a strong smell of fuel that doesn't seem to have been fixed by changing the hoses.

Question - If the tank isn't venting from a hole, should i smell any fuel at all? If there was spilt fuel from changing hoses, how long would that smell last? I'm trying to avoid cutting the tank out...but I might not have a choice. I want a safe vessel.

2. I think the boat sits quite low at the stern. I've attached a pic. The shipwright explained the hull was originally built for performance, not so much stable fishing - Which I absolutely understand. It's rated for 90hp 4 stroke, but the shipwright said it would comfortably take a motor up to 115. I've no need for speed, I want to fish from it not run away from anyone... It currently has a 2012 Mercury 90hp 4 stroke that weighs 185kg. The only other weight at the stern is the starter battery (25kg). So let's say there is circa 200-210kg at the stern of the boat. Because its a side console, the console is also at about midship, and the underfloor tank goes back about halfway between the console and stern.

Before I make too many radical changes (lighter motor/remove tank etc) I am going to add some weight to the bow. I know that's not how physics work, in that adding weight to the bow doesn't shift the water dispersion/weight at the stern. i.e. I don't think it'll help the stern that much at all...but I have to try.

Question - If I reduce motor to say 70hp 4 stroke, I might save circa 80-90kg in weight? (I want to avoid 2 stroke). Will that have a significant impact on how low the boat sits? If I take away the underfloor tank, let's say 1/2 of it sits backwards of centre, that might take another 20-30kg worth of impact if tank is full? So best case scenario - lets say it removed 100kg from the stern. How confident should I be that the stern would lift a fair bit?

Or am I just over worrying about how the boat sits? And all 16s would sit like this with 90hp 4 stroke?

Any and all advice and thoughts welcome!

boat sit low 1.jpgrebuid 3.jpgOriginal 3.jpgOriginal 2.jpgCurrent bow.jpgRebuild motor fitting.jpgconsole 1.jpgrebuild finish 1.jpgCurrent floor 1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pundy14; 30-05-2024 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Adding images

Re: Haines Hunter v16 side console

Can’t see the pictures, but……those Mercury 4 strokes in that HP are very heavy, lots of much lighter models around. Move the battery forward might help a bit. How far back is the fuel tank?

Apologies - I've tried re-uploading images.

Fuel tank stops about where the back of the seats are. So we're talking a 1.5m from transom edge at a guess.

So the motor is 185kg. From what I've seen, a 70hp 4 stroke can weigh anywhere from 130-160kg. So let's say I swap, shed 50kg, would 50kg make a big enough improvement?

From what I've read, it seems like if I move the starter battery further up the front, I need thicker (heavier gauge) cables to carry the charge. I have no idea if this is correct?

But lets say it's incorrect. So 25kg + 50kg = 75kg less weight on the transom. How much impact do you think that would have?

Those old Haines do sit low, but that’s quite low. Moving the battery might require heavier battery cables, but, depending on how far you move the battery, maybe not. The Yamaha is the lightest 70 by far. The fuel tank is glassed in, so that’s just how it’s going to be, just for fun, you could try draining the tank and putting a smaller plastic tank up the front and see how much difference it makes.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Those old Haines do sit low, but that’s quite low. Moving the battery might require heavier battery cables, but, depending on how far you move the battery, maybe not. The Yamaha is the lightest 70 by far. The fuel tank is glassed in, so that’s just how it’s going to be, just for fun, you could try draining the tank and putting a smaller plastic tank up the front and see how much difference it makes.
    good call. Will try that.

with the fuel smell, I might end up cutting tank out anyway.

Be keen to see what others in the forums suggest too!