Thread: Which oil?

Which oil?

I have a 2004, 115hp merc 4 stroke(fuel inj). I am going to do an oil change but I am unsure of which to get.
    I understand it needs to be a blended Oil, but which viscosity should i put in.? It is a fishing boat only and operates out of Brisbane

I have seen recommended 10w-30 and 25w-40 and I dont own a manual??

Thanks

Re: Which oil?

Quote Originally Posted by predator View Post
    I have a 2004, 115hp merc 4 stroke(fuel inj). I am going to do an oil change but I am unsure of which to get.
    I understand it needs to be a blended Oil, but which viscosity should i put in.? It is a fishing boat only and operates out of Brisbane

I have seen recommended 10w-30 and 25w-40 and I dont own a manual??

Thanks
    Go into a Merc dealer & ask the service department ....... that's what I did

Yeh you pay extra for the branded oils ....... but at least you know you are using something formulated for that motor .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Which oil?

You'll likely find out it is 25w40, if you are living anywhere that isn't consistently cold. Quicksilver 25W40 is available from BCF for a reasonable price. Quicksilver products are actually a Mercury product--for those old enough, you will probably remember all Merc servicing products being labelled as Quicksilver. This changed, Quicksilver products are the genuine Merc stuff sold through retail outlets such as BCF in Australia, and Walmart and West Marine in the US. Only Merc dealers sell the Merc branded stuff. So, in using Quicksilver, you are effectively using a genuine Merc product.