Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best deep cycle 12v BATTERY

best deep cycle 12v BATTERY

for trolling motor

Re: best deep cycle 12v BATTERY

Is your budget open to lithium?
    Jack.

I just installed a kings 100ah lithium yesterday in my boat to run the electronics.

Battery was $299

I also installed a trolltek dcdc charger as well for the same price of $299

Volvo, how old is the leccy? Reason I ask is mine is a 2015 MK and while I use a lithium on it I was warned not to go over speed 7 as they were never designed to receive continuous supply of the higher continuous voltage the lithiums put out and the circuit boards fry. Newer motors apparently have overcome this.
    It could all be some conspiracy theory but I know of a number that went kaput.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

I was listening to a podcast yesterday that had the BLA Minn Kota rep on it and he was saying the reason that the new MK's are acceptable of Lithium batteries is due to them being a brushless motor. This made me think that even if you buy a new 12v MK now, it's still in the same boat as the older ones, as the brushless only come in 24/36v.
    My older MK is a 2011 model and has and still is running as strong now as the day I got it, my big one is a 36v model, 2022 version, and it's always run off a 36v Lithium... touch wood, is running perfect.
    Was interesting that the new brushless models are multi voltage, so the same unit can run off 24v or 36v, and that determines it's power.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I was listening to a podcast yesterday that had the BLA Minn Kota rep on it and he was saying the reason that the new MK's are acceptable of Lithium batteries is due to them being a brushless motor. This made me think that even if you buy a new 12v MK now, it's still in the same boat as the older ones, as the brushless only come in 24/36v.
    My older MK is a 2011 model and has and still is running as strong now as the day I got it, my big one is a 36v model, 2022 version, and it's always run off a 36v Lithium... touch wood, is running perfect.
    Was interesting that the new brushless models are multi voltage, so the same unit can run off 24v or 36v, and that determines it's power.
    Corry, was that the NQ Fishing Fishing Show Pod Cast? I listened to it and they didn't really get into too many details but yes they did say the new ones were brushless. Mine 2015 12 Volt model is still going strong, I'm still amazed how the things can pish through mud and still keep going, got the odd spot of rust in places that I cleaned up and kept at bay, the only thing is the newer ones do have a better spot lock on them that I would like.

Sam
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I'm well into my 5th year of LiFePO4 batteries in my boats on a 2017 Minn Kota Terrova without any issues.
    I will say that there are very few instances where the motor has run at full (10) even spotlocking out at the FADs .

Without a doubt the best battery will be a LiFePO4 & the determining factor is going to be price.

Would I put a cheap LiFePO4 battery in a boat - not in a million years as there has to be some major trade offs between a $400 battery & a $800 - $1500 battery (construction / BMS , Temp sensors , Heat sinks etc).

Around $800 will get you a quality "Fusion" battery ...... These have been around for years ( I have used these / still use them) so I can attest that they work well.

One feature that I do like on the more expensive batteries is the "Restart or Wake up" button ...... just incase you draw the battery down too far & the battery shuts down . This is no big deal for a trolling motor battery but great when a battery is the aux in a car / boat...... generally a LiFePO4 needs to be woken up by a jump starter or charger.

Unfortunately - there is a huge difference in how much you can spend.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Volvo, how old is the leccy? Reason I ask is mine is a 2015 MK and while I use a lithium on it I was warned not to go over speed 7 as they were never designed to receive continuous supply of the higher continuous voltage the lithiums put out and the circuit boards fry. Newer motors apparently have overcome this.
    It could all be some conspiracy theory but I know of a number that went kaput.
    Not very old at all mate , had it replaced just priot to Christmas with a new one for certain reasons. Spoke with their people and we went through a couple of things to try and in the meantime it appears its the batery and possibly the positive lead from battery to motor will have to have the circuit breaker removed within the line as these Motots have inbuilt protection.
    Tested battery and yes quite sure it needs replacing..
    Although the AGM Deep Cycles would bust my poofle valve trying to lift them in or out of the battery boxdue to their weight i will still go that way though try get a decent brand as still not sold on Lithiums..

What is an acceptable lifespan for an agm battery for you?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Not very old at all mate , had it replaced just priot to Christmas with a new one for certain reasons. Spoke with their people and we went through a couple of things to try and in the meantime it appears its the batery and possibly the positive lead from battery to motor will have to have the circuit breaker removed within the line as these Motots have inbuilt protection.
    Tested battery and yes quite sure it needs replacing..
    Although the AGM Deep Cycles would bust my poofle valve trying to lift them in or out of the battery boxdue to their weight i will still go that way though try get a decent brand as still not sold on Lithiums..
    I'd still go a LiFePo4 lithium, not a cheapy though. As I've met earlier mine is getting on in years and Corry's is even older, just don't do the Rabbit Run, just go a little bit slower. I was amazed at much power was left in the thing after running it for 6 hrs in some strong current and breeze. I have a 120 amp only because my daughter borrows it when she goes camping for her CPAP machine, I rekon a 50 amp would be sufficient for what I do and even less weight.

Regardless, I'd still have an inline CB, don't by the them on Fleabay as the ones I've bought at 50 amps trip at around 36 amps and if you do a Rabbit Run you can guarantee it'll trip.
    Thomas Sowell

While we're on batteries has anyone had any dealings with ITech out of Perth. I was looking at their jump start batteries and was annoyed that to find out shipping costs I had to complete all of my details including financial details. I emailed them questioning the process with no response. On FB someone asked how much for shipping to Brisbane and the response was it's calculated at Checkout, I added my comment that this was only after all personal info had been added and surprise, surprise my comment has disappeared off that thread.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

Corry, was that the NQ Fishing Fishing Show Pod Cast? I listened to it and they didn't really get into too many details but yes they did say the new ones were brushless. Mine 2015 12 Volt model is still going strong, I'm still amazed how the things can pish through mud and still keep going, got the odd spot of rust in places that I cleaned up and kept at bay, the only thing is the newer ones do have a better spot lock on them that I would like.

Sam
    Yeah it was Sam, and ya not wrong, I've nearly what you could call abused mine and it's never missed a beat. I do like the spot lock on my new one, it is a lot more accurate and doesn't spend as much time chasing itself, but it is noisy, constantly moving, which I'm not sure I want on my little one up the creek chasing Barra.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    What is an acceptable lifespan for an agm battery for you?
    I've got a Century AGM Deep Cycle that is being looked at for a warranty replacement as I type, it had a 24 month warranty, that runs out at the end of May. Normally I've been getting around 4 years, but they've been coupled up with other batteries that may 'disguise' their condition.

I'd still go a LiFePo4 lithium...... just don't do the Rabbit Run, just go a little bit slower
    This makes it even more imperative to get the right sized motor, I used to use my 55lb that I originally got for my 4m tinny on my 5m Top Ender, and when up the Territory for the run off, the water would be moving that fast that even with the motor on full speed, it couldn't pull the boat forward.

While we're on batteries has anyone had any dealings with ITech out of Perth.
    Only what I read while researching lithium batteries. The Power Paul guy absolutely hates them with a passion, to a point he sent me messages saying don't use them, mind you I found reasons that I won't use him either. Years ago I bought a solar panel from iTech, but that was a dozen years ago, so not really in a position to say what they're like now. One of my pet hates is sharing personal information online, there's no reason why they couldn't have it set up to tell you what the freight costs would be well before going through the checkout.
    Cheers
    Corry

While we're on batteries has anyone had any dealings with ITech out of Perth. I was looking at their jump start batteries and was annoyed that to find out shipping costs I had to complete all of my details including financial details. I emailed them questioning the process with no response. On FB someone asked how much for shipping to Brisbane and the response was it's calculated at Checkout, I added my comment that this was only after all personal info had been added and surprise, surprise my comment has disappeared off that thread.
    Hi Sam,

Ive got quite a bit of their gear; 4 x 200ah batteries in the big boat, 2 x dcdc chargers, a 3000w inverter, a BMS with shunt and I had a 40amp 240volt charger which has recently died. To their credit, they have refunded the cost of the charger. I also have 2 x 120ah batteries for the leccy on my tinnie, but I hardly use that. When I have, they’ve been great. I also have 3 x 48ah slim batteries mounted behind the back seat of my dual cab hilux, running one fridge pretty much all the time, plus another on our annual Fraser trip. Again, no issues.

Regards,
    Dave.

Went with a 120AH Remco AGM Deep Cycle. Hopefully will last longer than the Crap Giant Battery. For those that buy a Giant make sure you read the Warrenty and understand it !!.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Went with a 120AH Remco AGM Deep Cycle. Hopefully will last longer than the Crap Giant Battery. For those that buy a Giant make sure you read the Warrenty and understand it !!.
    If you look after it and don't discharge it below 50% DOD it'll last. My last AGM I bought in 2015 and it lasted 8 years at ehich stage I could only manage 4 to 5 hrs on the water. I always had remote fir the leccy on a lanyard around my neck and didn't take it off till the battery charger went on otherwise I'd forget.
    Thomas Sowell