Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fungas/Mildew on Boat Carpet

Fungas/Mildew on Boat Carpet

Hokay Gang , have a wee Problemo . As some may know i have a Cntre Console and my main Esky resides up front on my casting platform leaning up against the fron of the console;
    Of late with all this rain its started growing Mold/Fungus under the esky, propably from residual moisture .
    What i need to know is what can i use to rid this mold and if anything i can use to stop it from comming back'
    Thoughht od putting something inder esky keep airflow and this may stop the problem ??.

Re: Fungas/Mildew on Boat Carpet

Dairychlor extra strong chlorine will knock it over.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Dairychlor extra strong chlorine will knock it over.
    Be careful, it may bleach the carpet.

Ausfish Bronze Member Red October's Avatar

I have this problem from time to time and my solution is to buy a 2 litre bottle of Coles disinfectant and pour this on neat. This product contains a quarternary ammonium compound that will kill the fungus as well as the spores. I use half a bottle on the carpet and other areas after every fishing trip. Bleach is no good, it will kill the mould temporarily but will not kill the spores that it grows from

Quaternary Ammonia but not that much in the disinfectant, Oil of cloves will kill the spores to stop it comig back, not much needed 5ml to a litre of water, chlorine/bleach doesn't kill the spores unfortunately.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I second the quaternary ammonium ..Living in the mouldiest place on the planet (Tully) I use a 20 litre drum per year throught a backpack sprayer on my shadehouses, nursery benchs, colourbond shed walls and ,, windows etc..its pretty soft on surrounding foliage that gets the spray drift as well....My solar panels need a clean as well so I'll try it there as awell.....it kills all algae, lichen and moulds and if left on for a day or 2 before watering or rained on kills spores as well which delays the return of the moulds for a year or so.....it does lose potency when stored for 12 months though....and it doesnt actually clean the mould off though as its dies and gradually fall away and depending on the surface can take a while before it actually looks clean unless you scrub it or hit it with a pressure washer once its dead.....

Chlorine /hypochlorite based cleaners are pretty harsh and as noel mentions could bleach out your carpet and maybe your paint as well and not great when washed out on your lawn....

Its been a shocker of a year for mould up here with the big rains starting back in December....probably likewise for most of the QLD coast which is also haven for moulds ..

Sorry Dignity but I hate the smell of clove oil...

My boat seats have gone almost black..what do people do to clean that crap off..its really hard to remove even when scrubbed..?

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Quaternary Ammonia but not that much in the disinfectant, Oil of cloves will kill the spores to stop it coming back, not much needed 5ml to a litre of water, chlorine/bleach doesn't kill the spores unfortunately.
    Agree with Dig's above comment. The damage mould causes can be real hard to remove, but oil of cloves kills mould spores dead, I use it as a preventative, very diluted, in a spray bottle, works brilliantly, as per Digs mixture. If I see mould, I'll use half a cup of vinegar, table spoon of bi carb soda in a bucket of hot water, which works well on hard surfaces, but hard to totally clean ingrained mould stains. When I winter my boat, which has just a cover on it, that's when mould starts appearing, so it's out with the oil of cloves in a small spray bottle, I do seats, hard surfaces etc, it stinks like shite, you don't need much, but it's really effective...
    Same process with your carpet Volvo, bucket of hot water, bi carb and vinegar, scrub carpet with that, Esky, spray surfaces with oil of cloves................

Big Thanks to all , will try all mentioned.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I second the quaternary ammonium
    Where do you get it from? Does it have another name at all, I've never heard of it. But if I can spray colorbond, I'd love to do our gutters and edges of the shed and house, we're in Cairns and I pressure wash the gutters etc regularly to keep on top of it.
    Cheers
    Corry

I second the quaternary ammonium ..Living in the mouldiest place on the planet (Tully) I use a 20 litre drum per year throught a backpack sprayer on my shadehouses, nursery benchs, colourbond shed walls and ,, windows etc..its pretty soft on surrounding foliage that gets the spray drift as well....My solar panels need a clean as well so I'll try it there as awell.....it kills all algae, lichen and moulds and if left on for a day or 2 before watering or rained on kills spores as well which delays the return of the moulds for a year or so.....it does lose potency when stored for 12 months though....and it doesnt actually clean the mould off though as its dies and gradually fall away and depending on the surface can take a while before it actually looks clean unless you scrub it or hit it with a pressure washer once its dead.....

Chlorine /hypochlorite based cleaners are pretty harsh and as noel mentions could bleach out your carpet and maybe your paint as well and not great when washed out on your lawn....

Its been a shocker of a year for mould up here with the big rains starting back in December....probably likewise for most of the QLD coast which is also haven for moulds ..

Sorry Dignity but I hate the smell of clove oil...

My boat seats have gone almost black..what do people do to clean that crap off..its really hard to remove even when scrubbed..?
    Scott, I haven't found a way of getting rid of the stain mould leaves once it's imbedded in any material, especially anything plastic as the surfaces get oxidised, I will try to follow up with the strongest chlorine to bleach the colour but best to stop it happening if possible in the first place which can be bloody hard work in the recent weather we've had.

If your quaternary ammonia isn't lasting maybe you and Corry can go halves each time and use it up quicker.

Sam
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Where do you get it from? Does it have another name at all, I've never heard of it. But if I can spray colorbond, I'd love to do our gutters and edges of the shed and house, we're in Cairns and I pressure wash the gutters etc regularly to keep on top of it.
    You can just get it down in Hartley st, mate..as well as cleaning its widely used in the food processing industry to kill bacteria and bugs.

https://northernchemicals.com.au/pro...39563002839211

I spray it on the green slime and black mould on the walls, gutters, roof and it kills it within days though if its thick then it doesnt remove the dead residue until that falls off over time from rain and weathering...just mix it in your garden sprayer and then its really quick to do and best done regularly before it actually gets bad....

Sam, I buy the 20l drums but it can be bought in 5l or by the litre as well....i find it a lot less harsh then chlorine based chemicals which can also create rust..

Ausfish Platinum Member

Thanks mate, I'll get some this weekend.
    Cheers
    Corry

Clive oil is very effective and killing mold spores

Saw this explanation and having used most products have found it to ring true..Quatsan for the win because it also kills the spores and prevents regrowth as well as the fact that it doesnt bleach the cr@p out of everything and cause corrosion.....

https://northernchemicals.com.au/blo...ahmlZSgW3dTVuh

Saw this explanation and having used most products have found it to ring true..Quatsan for the win because it also kills the spores and prevents regrowth as well as the fact that it doesnt bleach the cr@p out of everything and cause corrosion.....

https://northernchemicals.com.au/blo...ahmlZSgW3dTVuh
    It's interesting that they say what's wrong with chlorine based liquids, I'll use them on concrete etc but they don't mention the hazards of using quats which also have issues esp if your asthmatic or subject to rashes etc. Hospitals for example try to avoid them with difficulty as it is used in a lot of antibacterial cleaners etc, and once used it does take a lot of cleaning to eliminate quats from the surface.
    Studies on the effect of quats are ongoing but they have found make mice will go sterile if the surfaces they are kept in are cleaned using quats, once it wears off they become fertile again.
    Now I don't have a problem with any of the above as none of the items mentioned so far can get rid of the mould stain once it has impregnated plastic that has oxidised i.e. lost it's gloss.
    I guess I shouldn't let it get to that stage and my preference is still oil of cloves even though my neighbour hates it as it reminds her of the dentist from days of old.
    Thomas Sowell