Thread: Lucinda offshore.

Post Lucinda offshore.

G'day Chaps/Chappetes,

Happy Easter to everyone and their family.

New here and decided to join to get some advice before heading up to lucinda from down south. I have done a forum search but the posts go back a few years.

I plan on spending a good week up here and just chasing some advice. I'm aware there currently is no channel at dungeness ramp and to be cautious of the tides.

I'd like to hit a few offshore locations around trunk reef. I'd mainly like to tick off the bucket list some trout. Just after any advice or spots you can recommend trying. I don't have any marks for up this way so I'm kinda flying blind. I do enjoy flats fishing out at the reefs as well.

Happy to take any advice or possible spots to try. Also happy for you to inbox me if you wish. Appreciate your advice and taking the time to respond to my post.

Hope you enjoy your long weekend.

Re: Lucinda offshore.

Welcome Junior, I know nothing about Lucinda other than I'd like to fish out of there. I'm surprised a couple of regulars have replied. This site is not what it used to be, most activity seems to be around US politics and very little with fishing. It's a shame as this used to be a great forum, I've given up posting due to current circumstances but then there hasn't been much to entice me back to this forum lately.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I used to fish that area a bit when i lived up north. Sound up some bombies in around 30m of water. The bait will be on the pressure side of the structure, and you should be able see the bait on your sounder. Anchor up current of the structure and send your bait down into the bait. Trout should be there. If you can catch a live fusilier, then put that out under a balloon for a Spanish. Good luck. I miss fishing NQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I used to fish that area a bit when i lived up north. Sound up some bombies in around 30m of water. The bait will be on the pressure side of the structure, and you should be able see the bait on your sounder. Anchor up current of the structure and send your bait down into the bait. Trout should be there. If you can catch a live fusilier, then put that out under a balloon for a Spanish. Good luck. I miss fishing NQ.
    Agree with Dave here...no need for marks on the actual reef..just lob up along the edges of the reef in 10-30m of water and find some bommies or structure holding some bait ...drop down a running bean sinker and 6,7-0 hook with squid, pillie or cut up fish fillet or a combination of all and if you havent been hit by a trout in a minute or 2 then move on...

and as mentioned hang a live Fusilier or unweighted pillie on gangs for a mackie as well..

we mostly use 80 pound handline s as they are quick and easy and give the best chance of not allowing that first initial trout run to get back to his snag, which is their first instinct and can happen really frustratingly quickly.

If the Sou easters are blowing to much to get out to the reef then you can still duck out around the Palm islands and fish on lee side's out of the wind for some island trout and mackies..

What we often do to find where the bait is hanging around a reef is to throw out a couple of Laser pro's (2m) and just cruise along about 6-7 knots between the reef edge and the exposed reef(carefully dodging bommies of course) and just hit some marks when we encounter bait or likely looking areas..we often get a Spanish, sharkie mack or GT this way...also sometimes even snag a greedy trout as well..

G'day Lads

Thanks for all the tips and replies. Will put this into action and see how I go. Would love to find some nice holes that are holding trout and Nanni's but will have to be patient and see how we go.

Thanks for the advice mate. Will have a look at these options and see what we can come up with. Out of curiosity which side of Palm is "Lee sides"?
    Cheers

Leeward is the the side out of the wind mate..from now till about oct/nov we get almost constant 10-20 knots Southeasters from the dominant high pressure systems moving west to east across the aussie continent.

As for Nannigai and red emperor areas..if you look at your sounder and or charts look for any structure, gravel, rises of drops on the flat ground in between reefs ....inshore searching for wonky holes can take lots of time and effort and i doubt anyone will give out these marks..apparently there are plenty around the Palm islands and east of Hinchinbrook island and should have opened up and be flowing well after this particular wet season.....Ryan moody does a wonky hole course and has a study group thats pretty helpful as well....although now since so many people are chasing these spots they are copping a bit of a hammering...