Thread: Queensland Fisheries new regs.. proposal

Queensland Fisheries new regs.. proposal

Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Queensland Fisheries new regs.. proposal

Done.
    Respectable table this time I think.
    Jack.

Bag limit of 4 nannygai and possibly increasing the size limit is the proposal.( the fresh water stuff i didnt read)
    I didnt see mention in the survey but i did hear its being considered. But I personally dislike closed seasons for a few reasons.

I think we need to reduce the bag limit for large mouth. People slay these things alot more than 10y ago due to sounder evolution.
    taking 9 massive large mouth per person is excessive IMO.

Id like to see the limit the same as Red emporer. easy for people to remember. maybe up the size for large mouth to 50cm?

No-one i know keeps small mouth so i dont think that matters much IMO.

Seems all our fisheries are interested in is closing off areas and reducing catchs but look at what can be acheived with so little funding in the USA.....

https://www.getthecoast.com/more-tha...tEQEzIA6BVUqmf

Imagine what 279 artificial reefs across 133 different sites along the QLD coast for less then 2 million dollars would do for fishing and diving enthusiasts......why are our fisheries beaurocrats so oppressive and small minded when there are so many options out there to improve fisheries other then just the iron fist method of just tightening regulations......?........

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Seems all our fisheries are interested in is closing off areas and reducing catchs but look at what can be acheived with so little funding in the USA.....

https://www.getthecoast.com/more-tha...tEQEzIA6BVUqmf

Imagine what 279 artificial reefs across 133 different sites along the QLD coast for less then 2 million dollars would do for fishing and diving enthusiasts......why are our fisheries beaurocrats so oppressive and small minded when there are so many options out there to improve fisheries other then just the iron fist method of just tightening regulations......?........
    Of great interest was 3D printing of concrete reefs.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Of great interest was 3D printing of concrete reefs.
    Yeah mate its very interesting to see that its now proven and can be done on a large scale so economically...the concrete is also reinforced with fibreglass rod rather then then steel rebar for longevity..

We currently have a problem with stock numbers of Spanish mackeral and Crimson snapper so how cool would this be to have hundreds of sites with these arties all along the inshore areas of QLD.....it would also provide so much valuable data for Reef researchers as well as benefits for Tourism and locals alike..

..First-ever 3D printed artificial reefs sunk off Destin-Fort Walton Beach coast (getthecoast.com)

Whats also interesting to note is that its actually funded by BP because of a fund/fine set up after the Deepwater Horizon disaster..Funny how even bad things can have a positive outcome...

I find it staggering that there is nothing yet done in this space in QLD....Florida has done an average 2 reefs on each of 133 sites so far in JUST 3 months....think about how that would translate off all the towns of the Qld coast and what it would bring and all for just a fraction of the money thats constantly being thrown at the GBR for a multitude of seemingly insignificant projects...

artificial reef flrida.jpgartificial reef 2.jpgartificial reef.jpg

This is the answer.
    There is so much potential for artificial reefs, particularly in the GBR waters. Create new habitat means more fish and it means that fishers won't have to actually fish the GBR proper.
    I've said it before, imagine a hundred 'Yongalas' that we could fish on.

Scott, when we were laying slabs of conc on South Straddie we used chopped glass as reo due to both weight and corrossion issues. It works well.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell