Thread: extra earth on sounder?

extra earth on sounder?

So my mate splashed out on a new Raymarine combo for his tinne, instructions are bare bones with installation showing Red wire to positive on battery and black wire to negative on battery and it also has a white wire going to ground. Where and why is this white wire needed. Neither of us are up on this electrickery thing except for some basics.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Re: extra earth on sounder?

I am pretty sure the grounding of the white wire is required when connecting to a network.....sort of like two different systems in the one unit.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I am pretty sure the grounding of the white wire is required when connecting to a network.....sort of like two different systems in the one unit.
    so it can be ignored or just run it to negative on the battery, won't be any other units on that tinnie.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

It is likely thr earth drain, for magnetic shielding-yes, you can just connect it to battery negative.