Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Qld Spanish Mackerel season and limits

Re: Qld Spanish Mackerel season and limits

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    If species cross a boarder well the I think the federal government should set the allowable catch limits as these fish can travel in state and commonwealth water boundaries.
    That's pretty well every saltwater fish then

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Chris
    That’s a yes and no from me, some species do migrate, Mullet, Tailor to name a couple of common ones, then there is true pelagic species that only “kind of” migrate, they follow currents and food and very often cross borders (Spanish in this topic) and because this is not a real migration as such, it’s covered under different state rules, one side of the Tweed the catch limit is way different to the other side, right or wrong, that’s just how it is…..so
    Should it be changed? Possibly, according to those north the answer is yes, definitely changed, to those south?? Should it be covered by a federal body/law? That’s a “possibly” from me, even though it appears I am on one side, that’s simply not true, I am only offering a different perspective on why it might be the way it is. Snapper is a real mixed bag, they are caught over most states and sizes and bag limits vary considerably, even some very local laws are tossed into the mix, to me, Snapper is a state by state species, now, once again, those just over a state border are in a tricky situation. Fisheries management is a big job, and none of this even touches in restocking, habitat replacement, pollution, total catch (rec and pro) methods, closed seasons, possession limits and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Chris
    No I don’t think sea toads cross the board every year but pelagics do ,bream and whitening and flathead stay put.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    No I don’t think sea toads cross the board every year but pelagics do ,bream and whitening and flathead stay put.
    You dont think that a Bream might move from South Qld estuaries down to northern NSW estuaries & vice versa ........ flathead & whiting move up from northern NSW beaches to the gold coast ? same for whiting . It wouldn't surprise me if they did

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO