Thread: Aquaculture VS Permaculture...

Exclamation Aquaculture VS Permaculture...

Here's a bit of a read, not too long.

My take..... Permaculture on the ocean is critical. I have heard about and then seen the damage aquaculture has done in Tasmania ( salmon farming )

Similarly prawn farming...

I don't have an answer, but this article has merit.

https://theconversation.com/permacul...box=1707682935

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: Aquaculture VS Permaculture...

Aquaculture seems to be one of those things that are great in theory, but……..feeding fish takes other fish stocks, pollution is a huge issue, but all that gets swept under the political rug

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

My take..... Permaculture on the ocean is critical. I have heard about and then seen the damage aquaculture has done in Tasmania ( salmon farming )

LP
    Well my cousin has been a leader in raising qld grouper and cobia in ponds after the white spot out break wiped them out from rec fishers using imported prawns and they recycle there water and filter it i belive ,so theres other ways of doing thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

LP
    And the tuna saga in SA quite some time ago now where imported pilchards/sardines were used to feed them and an introduced virus almost wiped out our own pilchard stocks.
    Unfortunately $ signs tend to mar any other research.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Well my cousin has been a leader in raising qld grouper and cobia in ponds after the white spot out break wiped them out from rec fishers using imported prawns and they recycle there water and filter it i belive ,so theres other ways of doing thing.
    I wonder why he chose those two species to farm?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I wonder why he chose those two species to farm?
    Money fish and bribie research centre has been trialing cobia for awhile now and had good growth rates for short time and the groper have good growth rates too,they were doing japanies king prawn originaly.

A while back he was doing barra fingerlings for a very cheap price there very easy to do apparently.