Thread: Shade options for side console

Shade options for side console

What is everyone doing for shade in there side console boats?

I'm only looking for shade on the rear of the boat but don't want all the poles and straps of a bimini.

Boat is a Seajay Ranger Sports 490.

And has anyone widened a centre console t-top to fit a sc? Have been thinking this may be an option with the legs mounted to the gunnels

Re: Shade options for side console

A very big hat or fish at night.

Have a look at some American center consoles and steal there ideas and down size it as there very big as you know .

This will be what I do to begin with until I can get my head around a design that will be functional for the boat.

Blog Entries

Is this an option? May as well go a bimimini TBH

https://oceansouth.com.au/product-category/t-tops/

It's not easy to come up with something decent

I used one of these from ocean south - it kept the cast deck open

The shade was reasonable

Canopy.jpg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    Is this an option? May as well go a bimimini TBH

https://oceansouth.com.au/product-category/t-tops/
    The Targa Top from these guys is an option but geez it's bloody ugly lol

I do prefer the look of a bimini to that thing and it least it can be folded down for travelling, I'm not to confident it would survive a trip to the NT and back.

Whichever option you go for mount it on sail track d
    Then when you do fold it down you can move it forward or reawards to where it's most suitable.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

For our Top Ender (side console) we use the factory Quintrex 4 bow. When using the front cast deck I just undo the straps that go down to the gunnel and push it back half way. Keeps shade at the back and allows for casting at the front. I moved the mounts for it so that it folded backwards and sat on the transom so it was out of the way if not using it. I've attempted days in the NT without decent shade, never ever, ever again.

We're going to be getting another one done for our 4.2m soon, it's going to be a bimini, 4 bow, but mount to the sides of the gunnel, so when it's folded down it's below the gunnel. I just gotta find someone in FNQ that would be good to make it.
    Cheers
    Corry

I did a week in the NT last year with no shade and it was bloody hot.

I was starting to wonder about the targa top from ocean south only being ugly on the boat it's advertised on but I've just seen one on a 530 Topender on marketplace and it is still a horrible thing to look at.

I have a T top on my centre console and have been toying with the idea of custom building a 270 degree free standing awning like you have for Ute canopies. Obviously it would have to be stowed for normal traveling, but could be excellent for the hot days in summer when trolling for speedsters.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Here's one that I've seen for sale, looks like any other bimini.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Boat...ibextid=Nif5oz
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

It looks like a bimini but without all the extra poles and straps of a bimini. It's one of the nicer ones I've seen so far.

Those ocean South things are weak and flimsy, thin metal and straps everywhere, anything any good will be custom made