Thread: Tide, Wind and Waves - what do you look for

Ausfish Platinum Member

Tide, Wind and Waves - what do you look for

Been in a number of chats with different folk at the pub and in the tackle stores (workers as well as customers) lately and everyone seems to have a different view on what they look for.

For me, it depends on what fishing I'm doing, if I'm up the creek chasing crabs, I'm not really fussed at all, only want an incoming tide, if chasing Barra, I like to look for a tide with a bit of run in it, but not the big big tides. Heading to the reef I like a bit of run, as they say, "no run, no fun" and I prefer a slight southerly, at about 5-10 and under, with 15kn gusts max, although if it's blowing up later in the arvo I'm ok with slowing down if the wind is up to 15's.

There is the old saying "Wind from the East, fish bite least, Wind from the West, fish bite best, Wind from North, few sailors set forth, Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth", what's your take on this, do you find it accurate?

One thing I don't look at, and every now and then I'm reminded that I should, is wave height and distance. This is more cause I don't really take notice as to what it is, so don't have a reference to go off of.

I guess the biggest thing that triggers me to get offshore is half decent wind and being at home and not at work, very much looking forward to the retirement period when I can just go when the weather is great.

So to create a bit of conversation, what do you look for, and what should I be looking for from a wave perspective?
    Cheers
    Corry

Re: Tide, Wind and Waves - what do you look for

Corry, it depends where you are, mate from Canberra says they don't like Southerly winds, here in the SE Qld most people say it's Northerlies. I suspect it's more to do with wave direction in opposition to swell direction but.... I know some people who have no trouble catching fish no matter from which direction it's blowing. Offshore here often it's a case of whether the set (current near the ocean floor) is Southerly or Northerlies as on reefs it will change which side of the reef the fish are hanging from. Too many go out and fish the same area because they've caught fish there without understanding how the direction of the set affects the fish feeding patterns. It's funny though, I've never worked out where they hide in the Pumicestone Passage.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Corry when the northerlys blow the fish go ,south to south east in southen qld i like but if your down south i would think thats cold wind.
    Chasing tuna on fly yer SW to W brings bait and fish to the beach .
    When we were kids any tide any where did not care as long as we were fishing.
    Chasing fish on plastics and lures i like a SE and half tide down to low
    Jacks i like top of tide running out and it can be blowing from the south and SE i think it works to the jacks favour and it keeps other people away too.
    Snapper in the Moreton bay south to SW in winter.

Never seen it windy under the water, certain winds might affect where you fish, and strong winds might stir up shallow water, but…..I can assure you, fish don’t starve when the wind is not blowing from a certain direction.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Corry, it depends where you are, mate from Canberra says they don't like Southerly winds, here in the SE Qld most people say it's Northerlies. I suspect it's more to do with wave direction in opposition to swell direction but.... I know some people who have no trouble catching fish no matter from which direction it's blowing. Offshore here often it's a case of whether the set (current near the ocean floor) is Southerly or Northerlies as on reefs it will change which side of the reef the fish are hanging from. Too many go out and fish the same area because they've caught fish there without understanding how the direction of the set affects the fish feeding patterns. It's funny though, I've never worked out where they hide in the Pumicestone Passage.
    I'm fishing the reefs off Cairns. I too know some people that will catch a Barra in a bathtub, sh!t ya to tears sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Never seen it windy under the water, certain winds might affect where you fish, and strong winds might stir up shallow water, but…..I can assure you, fish don’t starve when the wind is not blowing from a certain direction.
    Ya right with it stirring up shallow water, when I'm chasing GT's or Trout in the shallows the Easterlies stir it up a lot and visibility is bugger all, changes the fishing massively. Agree they would keep eating, I just gotta work out where they go.

So for those that fish offshore, what do you look for when looking at the forecast, do you check wave height and distance as well as wind speed/direction, or just mainly focus on wind speed?
    Cheers
    Corry

When boating, wind is your biggest concern by a long margin.

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I'm fishing the reefs off Cairns. I too know some people that will catch a Barra in a bathtub, sh!t ya to tears sometimes

Ya right with it stirring up shallow water, when I'm chasing GT's or Trout in the shallows the Easterlies stir it up a lot and visibility is bugger all, changes the fishing massively. Agree they would keep eating, I just gotta work out where they go.

So for those that fish offshore, what do you look for when looking at the forecast, do you check wave height and distance as well as wind speed/direction, or just mainly focus on wind speed?
    In answer to your question doen here definitely wave height/time between swell after checking wind speed for offshore. In the northern area of the Passage northerlies are terrible with outgoing spring tides for my tinnie.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell