Thread: Swim bait rods

Swim bait rods

Ok been looking swim bait rods I’ve got a cheap one and it’s tip heavy so I’ve been looking around ,I’ve seen a Norfolk blank for $300 and $100 for guides and another $100 for postage and reelseat and grips so I’m looking at a store bought one to see what’s out there I really like the 2 piece that that is at the fore grip.

THE Dobyns have 7”6 but one piece I’ve looked at 2 Daiwas so far one Daiwa TD hyper and it’s got no tip very stiff but has good guides and the Daiwa TD black lil momma it has a tip but small guides and 2 piece 25-85 grams 6 to 12 kg.

I looked at the shimano T curve it’s stiff as well but it’s was a heavy stick .

Ive seen a Ian miller beast freak 7”10 2 piece and I’m yet to put one in my hand to compare things.

Has anyone got any other suggestions I only want to cast up to 100 grams and would like a 2 piece but not a deal breaker.

Re: Swim bait rods

I just bought a Shimano Extraction 15-30lb rod paired with Saragosa 6000 as a bit of a all rounder.

It's 7'2" 2 piece and 20g to 60g cast wieght but feels stiff enough for slightly heavier stuff.

I haven't had much of a chance to use it yet as the braid I tied on was rubbish breaking at the leader knot twice while casting.

I have a Millerod Beastfreak & a Swimsanity ....... IMO they are very hard to beat .

Even though these are a production rod out of China - the quality is top notch.

The blank design - is brilliant allowing you to throw a relatively small lure (3/4 oz) & then hoik a 5oz swimbait - 2 piece (butt section) breaks them down nicely.

For general use - The Beastfreak would be my choice & would cover the majority of lures ...... I've thrown 10" Megabass Magdrafts on it .
    The Swimsanity is a big big rod (8'3" - 6-13 oz 80lb braid) & really is at its best throwing the biggest of lures - 10" plastics & monster swimbaits.

There are 4 other swimbait rods in the Miller range (Swimfreaks & Dreamfreak) that would be worth looking into based on your own needs .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I have a Millerod Beastfreak & a Swimsanity ....... IMO they are very hard to beat .

Even though these are a production rod out of China - the quality is top notch.

The blank design - is brilliant allowing you to throw a relatively small lure (3/4 oz) & then hoik a 5oz swimbait - 2 piece (butt section) breaks them down nicely.

For general use - The Beastfreak would be my choice & would cover the majority of lures ...... I've thrown 10" Megabass Magdrafts on it .
    The Swimsanity is a big big rod (8'3" - 6-13 oz 80lb braid) & really is at its best throwing the biggest of lures - 10" plastics & monster swimbaits.

There are 4 other swimbait rods in the Miller range (Swimfreaks & Dreamfreak) that would be worth looking into based on your own needs .....

Chris
    Yer id like to have a look at the miller beastfreak I think I know a shop that might just have one going by what I’ve played with so far it’s important to feel the tip on his web site there $490 for the 7”11 2 piece so that’s the price of making one.

What sort of distance are you trying to cast ?

if live scoping then anything will do as the casts are short and you can save some money
    a bladentails 30-40 baitcast rod for example or even just a miller ambush

Well I went to a well stocked tackle world and had a few to feel and played with the miller and a Tatula and a Dobyns Fury and as much as I wanted a 2 piece butt join rod I realised you don’t get any for grip so I walk out with the Fury the Fury and the miller felt like the same blank and the Fury has a slightly longer butt.

Oddly enough the millers guides have a blue insert and strait away I was thinking I’d put the 300 tranx on it ,but my 300 Tatula looks nice on the Fury I can put same green paddle covers on the handle and it will look like it was made for it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Well I went to a well stocked tackle world and had a few to feel and played with the miller and a Tatula and a Dobyns Fury and as much as I wanted a 2 piece butt join rod I realised you don’t get any for grip so I walk out with the Fury the Fury and the miller felt like the same blank and the Fury has a slightly longer butt.

Oddly enough the millers guides have a blue insert and strait away I was thinking I’d put the 300 tranx on it ,but my 300 Tatula looks nice on the Fury I can put same green paddle covers on the handle and it will look like it was made for it.
    Whiich Millers did you look at ?

They can vary so much DSC_1037.jpg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

TT Komodos of any interest to you?
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Whiich Millers did you look at ?

They can vary so much DSC_1037.jpg

The beastfreak it was a nice rod .