Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Croc jumps in Boat

Croc jumps in Boat

I have been expecting this to happen in the NT with the chicken on a stick croc tours training them to jump but its a worry when it happens in QLD...it certainly would liven up the fishing trip..

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/austr...c658e0ad&ei=15

Ther was a yachtie down Hinchinbrook channel a couple of years back that went up a creek in his tender and didnt return...the dingy was found upturned with a couple of crocs around 3-4 metres hanging around..they were shot and found to have his remains inside..no-one knows how it happens but given the size of his tender you could say its pretty risky behaviour...

hinchinbrook croc guy.jpg

I think the general size of crocs is now increasing and they seem to be coming less afraid of boats so a small, low sided tinny or dingy doesnt hold much fear for them if they are in the mood....I may have to upsize my little 3.8m Explorer I reckon..i feel safe enough in the day and none of the crocs I regularly see display any aggression except for one persistant stalker who is very curious and will swim up within about 15 metres of the boat and hang around one particular area.....Night time is a bit more of a worry and i mainly fish with the bigger boat then..

I see this guy most trips in a local creek and he lives withing 200 metres of a campground and as best I know has never shown any aggressive behaviour so far.....Whenever we get to close he just slides off into the water and waits till we are gone and then resumes his position.....

hull river croc.jpg

Re: Croc jumps in Boat

He is bloody lucky the boat didn’t tip over.

With crocs it’s when not if there always thinking just north of you there was a new police Sargent went to Innisfail and walked his dog along a creek bank for 4 days in a row on the fifth day the croc ate his dog that was that 18 ft croc on display on Green Island out off Cairns this was many years ago but I was very surprised how patient these reptiles are and how they learn.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    He is bloody lucky the boat didn’t tip over.
    yeah or at least sink or swamp the boat...it wouldnt take much weight to push down a gunnel to below water level on my tinny with the weight of croc as it slid on and off...

i probably would have just jumped into the water to get away from the thrashing beast....man, wouldnt it be a bloody shock..!

It's insane that crocs are now allowed to "pick" us off so to speak.
    When i was a young fella, under 10, my dad and i would fish in a 9 ft flat bottom plywood boat amongst the mangroves in constant creek. Tidal dependant to get in and out. The old man would scull drag this thing across the mud, come back and carry me to the boat. Often it was at night returning, as we had to come back at high tide, no motor, row with the tide, tram wheel on a rope for an anchor, no ice, fish caught kept in a sugar bag in the 2 or 3 inches of water in the leaky vessel. I guess the crocs had been "thinned" out as i never seen any. But most times we would hear the bull crocs bellowing so they were there, but most probably learnt to stay away for obvious reasons.
    I was told of a croc attack, up Camilla creek or thereabouts, where a young child was attacked going to school, died i think. The croc had figured on an easy meal, kids crossing same spot same time. I think this was early 1900's when it happened, no bridges back then.
    All i can say is, humans are f....g weird or dumb. Things are so upside down in the world today.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member

I put this down to stupidity, it is known croc country, and known that there are big crocs in the area, and you go out in a 10ft tinny. Yep, maybe we need a cull or some form of control, but I don't think we need it in that area though, we see a lot more while fishing Cairns and further north.
    In the 10 years we've been at Seaforth, basically the same waterway, we don't see that many crocs. Yep, you do see them, but nothing like say up at Prossy River and FNQ. If you relocate, or cull, just more will move in, it's not an overloaded system.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    Cheers
    Corry

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-...cers/103754064

I found this one a pretty strange story coming from a local who really should know better......

Old mate Dean owns the local Mission Beach Formosa shop so you would think he knows better then to let his dog hang off the back of his houseboat at Hinchinbrook harrassing a nearby croc...
    Anyway RIP Chilli and you might have to grow a brain Dean and look after your next dog a little better...

Crocs are very common along Cardwells beaches and in the channel leading to the Marina and boatramp which is right at the beginning of the Hinchinbrook channel which is full of crocs and where the yachtie was taken from his tender that I linked to at the top of the page.......

I read this article this morning and it didn't mention anything about a dog being taken unless I missed something?

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I read this article this morning and it didn't mention anything about a dog being taken unless I missed something?
    He is probably too embarrassed to admit that even though he has known the croc has been living right there he hasnt even taken basic precautions (perhaps a barrier, fence or rail around the back deck) to stop his dog getting taken...One poor little terrier down one more still to go though...

If it was legal to do so, you wouldn’t get me in a tinny in croc territory without having a pistol on my hip.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Another article the other day about two women in canoes having a problem with a croc. Some people are so stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Another article the other day about two women in canoes having a problem with a croc. Some people are so stupid.
    Yep so stupid , I had to tell a German tourist in Cooktown that it’s not a good idea to put a kayak in the Endevour river one day the look on his face when I showed him the sign was so funny at the time . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Yeah its actually hard to understand there arent more people taken by crocs when you see the stupidity of some folks and not just all tourists either..plenty of locals get pretty complacent at times as well...

and finally some ineteresting news from the new Croc Management Plan in the NT where they have upped the number of quota crocs shot from 300 to 1200 per year and look to be implementing a Indigenous run high end ":safari" style cull for limited people willing to pay megabucks for the chance at a "Trophy" croc by being allowed to remove selected and problem crocs by shooting them.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-04-...gged/103753884

It will be interesting to watch these developments and to see how long before Bob Katter gets it happening here...maybe in the gulf and up the cape....no doubt will have the greenies on the warpath though....

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah its actually hard to understand there arent more people taken by crocs when you see the stupidity of some folks and not just all tourists either..plenty of locals get pretty complacent at times as well...

and finally some ineteresting news from the new Croc Management Plan in the NT where they have upped the number of quota crocs shot from 300 to 1200 per year and look to be implementing a Indigenous run high end ":safari" style cull for limited people willing to pay megabucks for the chance at a "Trophy" croc by being allowed to remove selected and problem crocs by shooting them.....

It will be interesting to watch these developments and to see how long before Bob Katter gets it happening here...maybe in the gulf and up the cape....no doubt will have the greenies on the warpath though....
    With any luck, the greenies will chain themselves to mangroves in order to prevent tourist shooting crocs. Next minute, no more greenie problem!

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

I’m no fan of trophy hunting. I hunt but usually it’s feral animals only. You can call me a conservationist Hunter. But the croc problem has grown a lot and if 1200 a year is a number that’s deemed sustainable where the numbers are brought to a level where huge crocs aren’t getting territorial and causing havoc. Then I’m all for it. Maybe crocs will again learn to fear humans and steer clear.

Now when are we getting commercial quotas in QLD for shark. Flake in every fish n chip shop for under $5. That’s where I’m at.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.