Thread: Frank marine rod holders

Frank marine rod holders

Ok looking at these Frank marine stainless rod holders too hold a larger rod and troll a bigger lure is anyone using them and if so are they ok !!!.

Re: Frank marine rod holders

I think they would be good. As long as they're clamped well with a good angle up so the rod doesn't get pulled out.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yer there the ones ,I’ve had my old plastic ones for many years and there alright for little fish but I’m always thinking one might snap off getting hit by a bigger fish.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I use the Relaxn holders, clamp on, similar to these but the tube version. Find that you have to make sure they are clamped on tight, other than that, have been good. I use them on my little boat in the estuaries though, wouldn't trust a clamped on rod holder off shore chasing big Mack's or similar, unless the drag was loose. Same as I wouldn't trust stainless bolt in holders that aren't fully welded.
    Cheers
    Corry

Ausfish Platinum Member

I've actually been using a version of the Frank Marine holders for years--mine have the same shape holder, but welded onto a T which sits on top of a tube which goes into the rod holder. Mine are used for dangling livies on 80lb gear, so cop an absolute flogging from jewies, sambos, etc. I had to add a 1/4" stainless brace to stop it bending up top Such a coincidence this comes up now, I spent an hour this afternoon trying to find another one on the net, the one you are looking at kept coming up.

Back on topic, clamp-ons, as Corry says above, must be clamped on really well, and then are still prone to moving on stainless railing. These appear to have a palstic liner to protect what they are clamped to, won't help matters. And that style of holder can be iffy on overheads--some, the larger, wider ones might be ok, smaller ones tend to spin. I find that style fine for threadlines, where the weight of the reel hangs under.

I’ve got one to try it out that’s all the shop had I’ve cut some foam out to place inside it too stop any scratches on the reel.