Thread: FG knot assintance tool

FG knot assintance tool

Has anyone got one and how good are they.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: FG knot assintance tool

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Has anyone got one and how good are they.
    I've got and use the FG Whizz, I like it. I've tried all the tricks to do it without, it just takes me a lot of time. And I find that I'm only doing them at home now. I've changed the way I set up each rig so I'm not cutting leader off when out, only if I get cut off, or for the bottom bashing rigs.
    Cheers
    Corry

Yer i got one off Temu and havent used it yet but last time i went in the dam i tied a fg for my mate and in a few cast lost my only pink redic so i thought it was worth the money it was only $26.

Like Corry i prmake a swag of rigs , stick in a plastic bag for when needed but i am that used to doing my FG knots quite quickly and without no assist tool either . head over to yayatube and find the moethod where you wrap the line around your last two fingers , form a loop , place one foot to hold bottom of leader in place whilst you form the FG knot around your loop,
    Main line (Braid ) is held firm from the tip of the Rod in its holder.
    Only annoying bit doing it this way is trying to burn the mono (Leader tag ) if a tad windy. At 70 odd i can still pull the knot tigjht without the jigs i made for that purpose , though the hands object to my doing so ..
    See if i cant find the vid for you??

Thereyago

I've never ever burned the mono/leader but occasionally will use the stuff that fly fishers use which is set via uv i.e. sun, to coat the knot to make it smoother for casting.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Like Corry i prmake a swag of rigs , stick in a plastic bag for when needed but i am that used to doing my FG knots quite quickly and without no assist tool either . head over to yayatube and find the moethod where you wrap the line around your last two fingers , form a loop , place one foot to hold bottom of leader in place whilst you form the FG knot around your loop,
    Main line (Braid ) is held firm from the tip of the Rod in its holder.
    Only annoying bit doing it this way is trying to burn the mono (Leader tag ) if a tad windy. At 70 odd i can still pull the knot tigjht without the jigs i made for that purpose , though the hands object to my doing so ..
    See if i cant find the vid for you??
    Be warned about burning tag ends - that heat you are using could also weaken your knot - Than flame blowing towards your knot for even a fraction of a second could be enough. UHMWPE has a softening point of something like 110-120 deg C .

A well tied FG shouldn't slip ...... so no need to burn off tag ends . If you do want added insurance use a UV curable resin (as mentioned by Dignity) such as Solarez or Loon UV Knot sense . Not only does it reduce the chance of a knot failure but it is smooth & flexible - reduces the knot banging through your guides when casting . I've been using this stuff for a decade or so & it certainly makes a difference.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris will look into getting some.

I had a fg whiz if someone wants it $30 posted

https://isofishinglifestyle.com.au/p...5c722bec&_ss=r
    switched to one of these and just more convenient and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

Yer thats the one i bought the knot assist 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post

Yer thats the one i bought the knot assist 2.0

Ausfish Platinum Member

Are they easier to use than the Whizz? When I use the whizz I find it a pain unless it's clamped down.
    Cheers
    Corry