Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They’re back.

They’re back.

Took my brother for a mackerel fish this morning at the Sunshine Coast.
    Did the dead bait troll thing , missed the first fish after a solid hookup. I think another fish took a liking to my swivel.
    Bummer , but continued on.Bang Bang - bag limit achieved , so off we went home.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1215.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	127238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1217.jpg 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	127239  
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Re: They’re back.

Well done beast. I don't think I've ever got my bag on Spanish. Schoolies/spotties yes but for some reason when the Spanish are hot, plenty get lost for various reasons. And when they are slow I land a higher percentage but never get to the bag.

Such a good eating fish and freezes well if you are frying it later. Should hold you over for a while.

Look forward to future reports.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Well done beast. I don't think I've ever got my bag on Spanish. Schoolies/spotties yes but for some reason when the Spanish are hot, plenty get lost for various reasons. And when they are slow I land a higher percentage but never get to the bag.

Such a good eating fish and freezes well if you are frying it later. Should hold you over for a while.

Look forward to future reports.
    Shouldn't be too hard Lovely, only allowed 2 per boat these days.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

Nice catch, there's a few getting about now which is good.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Shouldn't be too hard Lovely, only allowed 2 per boat these days.
    really? Not per person? That’s a bit steep!

really? Not per person? That’s a bit steep!
    1 per person
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I must have missed that change. When did it come in?

Yes 1 per person , max of 2 Spanish per boat. If you have 3 on board it’s tuff luck for the 3rd person. There’s also northern and southern closures on the species. Most ramps have signage explaining the new rules.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

I must have missed that change. When did it come in?
    Here you go:
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/20...otas/102539954
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ah I remember this now. I think this was the one where Fisheries started using a new model and it went from sustainable to overfished over night.

"There was a comprehensive stock assessment done in 2020, 2021, which showed that the biomass on the east coast was … about 17 per cent," Dallas D'Silva, executive director of Fisheries Queensland, said."

Also, it's a curious bit of information on the commercial side of things. Why was the TAC not caught each year? Only half the TAC? Was this through some sort of reduction in effort or was 250+ tonne caught each year fairly average or were we seeing a decline in catch rates in the commercial sector. Some questions I have on that one.

"For commercial fishing, the total allowable commercial catch has been adjusted to 165 tonnes for the 2023 fishing season, down from the previous 578 tonnes.
    Since its introduction in 2004, approximately 50 per cent of the total allowable commercial catch of 578 tonnes has been used each year according to the department."

Quote Originally Posted by BeastMaster View Post
    Took my brother for a mackerel fish this morning at the Sunshine Coast.
    Did the dead bait troll thing , missed the first fish after a solid hookup. I think another fish took a liking to my swivel.
    Bummer , but continued on.Bang Bang - bag limit achieved , so off we went home.
    a few more photos
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flat.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	127285   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5927.jpg 
Size:	100.9 KB 
ID:	127286   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5944.jpg 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	127287   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	school.jpg 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	127288   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mac 1.jpg 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	127289  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5950.jpg 
Size:	99.2 KB 
ID:	127290   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5956.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	127291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5958.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	127292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5961.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	127293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5962.jpg 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	127294  

Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

At least a feed there, shame about the scorpion cod as I didn't mind them if you didn't overcook them but to get a legal one at 38cm is damn rare.
    Thomas Sowell

Yes , He was released to grow a bit bigger.
    Keep Ya Tip UP
    Beast

Gday Sam, on the “Scorpian Cod”, I think you will find they are actually an”Eastern Red Scorpian Fish” with no size limit. If ever get decent ones, I always take them.
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Quote Originally Posted by Any_Weather View Post
    Gday Sam, on the “Scorpian Cod”, I think you will find they are actually an”Eastern Red Scorpian Fish” with no size limit. If ever get decent ones, I always take them.
    Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Lee, the Scorpaena cardinalis is known as both names, I was at Mooloolaba boat ramp few years ago and a boatie was being issued a fine for him having several of them on board as well as a few other undesized species. I take the precaution of not antagonising the fisheries so play it safe.
    Needless to say I'm starting to forget what fresh fish tastes like since I sold the big boat, I have been out in the tinnie a few times but usually have given the flatties away to whoever's with me, grilled atkantic salmon seens to have made a regular appearance at my place.
    Thomas Sowell