Thread: What is with the fascination with Bangers?

What is with the fascination with Bangers?

As it’s now know on socials now days. Bangers = Giant Trevally.

I know from more than 10 years ago, maybe 15. I saw the vids of people catching these monsters and thought I’d like to have a red hot crack at these things. I ended up doing a trip to Fiji, I think back in 2009 and managed to bag a few of them. A few more pulled my arms off even with the best gear money could buy. But at the end of that rip, As fun as that was, I felt like I’d been there and done that and had no desire to throw poppers at bomies for GT’s anymore to have my muppet arms pulled off.

thinking about it today, I thought maybe it’s because I mostly chase edible fish for the esky. But then the desire to chase and release speedsters like Marlin still remains. That chase and possible fight still stirs the juices to go out and troll skirts or big live baits. The possible bye-catch may have something to do with it.

But if someone asked me right now, you have the choice of trolling for marlin on prime ground or throwing huge poppers over prime coral reef for GT’s. I’ll pick the Marlin fishing every time. Once you’ve bagged a few decent GT’s I don’t see the fascination anymore.

Once or twice yeh. But what’s fascination of every second YouTube fishing channel chasing GT’s? Is it just about “content” on a serious sport fish? If there was no camera, are these blokes throwing $50 poppers at fish they won’t eat for the fun of it every other weekend?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: What is with the fascination with Bangers?

If you are a sportfisherman - it's pretty obvious what the attraction is ......

An aggressive fish - a real mongrel

Most people surface fish for them - so the visual aspect is second to none ...... If that doesn't get your blood racing , you're probably dead .
    Then that first minute of the fight is pretty hectic before you settle down for the slog fest where you & your gear is tested to the limit.
    50kg fish are on the cards - they can & do appear at any time. ....... so you never know.

As a catch & release fish .... they release well.

Add to it some pretty amazing places you fish - particularly on the reefs & it all becomes pretty clear.

Yes there is certainly a lot of content on youtube ...... but only a few do it well & the popularity exists because of how this stuff is often filmed (drones) & some of it is pretty amazing . It's pretty obvious why it attracts youngsters as it's a very active & demanding form of fishing.

Comparing GT fishing & Marlin .....I 'd take a GT session on the reef every time & IMHO the only time any form of billfishing compares is when sight casting to sailfish. Marlin fishing is generally 90-99% boredom.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I kinda agree with Lovely, I'm not into chasing fish specifically for the sport of catching and releasing, why stress fish out but that's another argument and thread.
    In the late 80's and early 90's we'd be chasing reefies in the Bunker group and we had a few red emperor sites where we'd get hammered by big GT's. Lots of cursing 🤬 occurred as it was just not what we wanted. They weren't even good for bait so we tried to avoid them.

Yes Chris, it is thrilling when you see a fish take a lure especially when it is a good table fish, and yes chasing marlin can be as boring as bat shit although watching them in 1 metre of water is off the top of Fraser Island is fascinating to watch, have I been tempted to throw a lure at them, no, it was more enjoyable just watching nature at it's best. I've caught marlin as incidental to chasing other fish.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I kinda agree with Lovely, I'm not into chasing fish specifically for the sport of catching and releasing, why stress fish out but that's another argument and thread.
    In the late 80's and early 90's we'd be chasing reefies in the Bunker group and we had a few red emperor sites where we'd get hammered by big GT's. Lots of cursing 郎 occurred as it was just not what we wanted. They weren't even good for bait so we tried to avoid them.

Yes Chris, it is thrilling when you see a fish take a lure especially when it is a good table fish, and yes chasing marlin can be as boring as bat shit although watching them in 1 metre of water is off the top of Fraser Island is fascinating to watch, have I been tempted to throw a lure at them, no, it was more enjoyable just watching nature at it's best. I've caught marlin as incidental to chasing other fish.
    I love it

It's the kind of response that would be hard to pen ...... not being into stressing a fish but ok to kill them I'd take stress over death every time .

But you are right - not the place or thread to go down that rabbit hole .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I Kind of agree with Dig, mainly because im a Bread n Butter Fisherman and The Sprt of it for comes when i hook into a good sized mackeral for the table.
    Theres a Wreck not too farout of here wrote an article on some time back and dropped some Greenback herring down and the GT's that would come up and snout them was frightening after the third/fouth/or fifth Fish lol.
    catch them accidently then i like to get my tackle back so get my back out of joint fighting them ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    I Kind of agree with Dig, mainly because im a Bread n Butter Fisherman and The Sprt of it for comes when i hook into a good sized mackeral for the table.
    Theres a Wreck not too farout of here wrote an article on some time back and dropped some Greenback herring down and the GT's that would come up and snout them was frightening after the third/fouth/or fifth Fish lol.
    catch them accidently then i like to get my tackle back so get my back out of joint fighting them ..
    Apart from that "Each to their own ) ..

$50 for a popper for GT thats a lot of broom sticks and lots of poppers to catch a dumb fish they will eat anything that falls over the side of the boat.

Im thinking that there easy to catch and pull harder than other fish,but a rubber ring and some VB cord stops them cold when tied the the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    $50 for a popper for GT thats a lot of broom sticks and lots of poppers to catch a dumb fish they will eat anything that falls over the side of the boat.

Im thinking that there easy to catch and pull harder than other fish,but a rubber ring and some VB cord stops them cold when tied the the boat.
    $50 would be a cheapee - you can double or triple that .

Buy a good cod swimbait & you'll pay more than that ........

that's the thing with lure fishing .... you can spend a bomb & then some ......... $30 to catch a bream or bass & have a tackle tray with a grands worth of lures in it .

dumb fish or dumb fishoes ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    $50 would be a cheapee - you can double or triple that .

Buy a good cod swimbait & you'll pay more than that ........

that's the thing with lure fishing .... you can spend a bomb & then some ......... $30 to catch a bream or bass & have a tackle tray with a grands worth of lures in it .

dumb fish or dumb fishoes ?

Chris
    Dumb fishoes I would say. Chased barra with some of the cheapest lures, just upgraded the trebles and split rings. Many a soft plastic repared with some super glue. Made my own hex head lures(dental plaster molds work well) about 1/4 the price or even less. Used to make a lead weighted spinner for chasing mackerel, all my mates loved them but kept losing them to big fish. Cost me about $5 to make them but couldn't be bothered now as sourcing all the materials is an ongoing thing. Trying to prioritise my life a bit better. Most I've ever paid for a lure is $24 and it didn't perform ascwell as any home made lure I've produced.
    Even where I chade flatties, they've all seen most lures but sometimes just a slight change in them and their presentation can make the difference. So many are presented as the newest and greatest only to jave it replaced soon after.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I do my best to avoid them at any size....nothing but time wasters to me.
    Caught enough to learn they are of no value to me.
    Jack.

Ausfish Platinum Member

We love having a go when out, we normally start with our bottom bashing, either jigging or bait, then we'll go and do some top water stuff for a while, then head off for a snorkel and a swim around a sand cay and have some lunch. Then repeat for the afternoon. Having the reef as our back yard helps
    Cheers
    Corry