Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garmin Gear and Lithium 24v Questions

Re: Garmin Gear and Lithium 24v Questions

I rhink Corry I need a drink trying to figure out how all of this is going to fit in a 4.2m tinnie.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I haven't started looking for a kraken yet as my boat wont be ready until early to mid March.

I will be running solar of some kind once I figure out what kind of shade I'll be putting on it.

Those 24v converters look pretty good but I'd think they would drain the battery pretty quick compared to a 24v battery set up.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    I haven't started looking for a kraken yet as my boat wont be ready until early to mid March.

I will be running solar of some kind once I figure out what kind of shade I'll be putting on it.

Those 24v converters look pretty good but I'd think they would drain the battery pretty quick compared to a 24v battery set up.
    It used to be around 8% loss but don't these days, the world of electronics changes faster than I can change my underwear.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It used to be around 8% loss but don't these days, the world of electronics changes faster than I can change my underwear.
    I am interested to find out too. Just need a 36v TM to try it out on!
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I rhink Corry I need a drink trying to figure out how all of this is going to fit in a 4.2m tinnie.
    Ya definitely right there Dignity, space is at a premium. I'm thinking any chargers can be mounted under the rear cast deck, and the batteries under the front, it will be interesting to see how, or if, it will all fit in. Plan will be to work out how to set it all up, then make up cardboard cutouts of it all and start the tetris game. Another fear is all the weight of it, so I'm going to fill containers with the same weights and put them in place and see how it goes also.
    It's running at T60 Yammy, so hoping it will be ok, just want to check first.

We're looking at going umbrella's, in purpose made tubes instead of a bimini, just to get some shade when needed on those really hot days. We've found in the past a bimini is really a PITA when flicking lures all day. If we do go a bimini then it has to be a 4bow that can fold in half on itself, same as what we have in out Top Ender, that way you can fold it half back and keep some shade. We run solar blankets on it that work really well.

I'll look into the converters and ask the questions about power draw, hence trying to find someone who knows what they're talking about that sets systems up to try and alleviate any future issues. Would be great to set it all up only once.
    Cheers
    Corry

Ausfish Platinum Member

So I got onto PowerPaul today, they don't assist or give advice with setting a system up, just sell the bits for it

I'll wait and see if I hear back from Revolution Power. They have some fantastic video's on their website of different set ups. Was interesting that one of them for a small boat was a 12v battery with a 24v converter... that might even work, I'll see what they advise when I can speak to them.
    Cheers
    Corry

Ausfish Platinum Member

So Revolution Power got back to me, they're recommendation is to run a normal battery as the starter, then run 3 x 12v Lithium batteries for everything else, with a 24v converter to step it up for the Electric, and put a DC-DC charger between the starter battery and the lithium's so they charge off the outboard once the start battery is full.

So I'm now off shopping for some batteries and some gear
    Cheers
    Corry

Im seriously looking at opting out on the third marine pro battery now and getting a kings 300ah lithium to run the fridge and a converter for the electric motor. Kings had them on sale today for about $1150.

I'm still interested on what the power loss id for the converters tho.

These guys have some pretty cool gear. https://safiery.com/shop/

Ausfish Platinum Member

I would love to know how to tell a good lithium battery from a bad one.

Looking at prices, there can be a massive difference between the same 'rated' battery, and I mean massive. I've never been one to shop to a budget, but I do like to get the best for what I'm paying.

If you look at these;
    Baintech, 110ah - $999 https://baintech.com.au/product/bain...ith-bluetooth/
    HardKorr, 100ah - $999 https://hardkorr.com/au/deep-cycle-batteries/lithium/
    Revolution, 100ah - $1998 https://revolutionpoweraustralia.com...thium-battery/
    Revolution, 100ah - $1398 https://revolutionpoweraustralia.com...thium-battery/
    iTechworld, 100ah - $599 (normally $900) https://itechworld.com.au/collection...olar-itech100a

Haven't got a price on Enerdrive or PowerPaul as yet.

But what makes them so different, are they that different to warrant the price difference, or is it marketing. When I contacted PowerPaul, he warned me out bigtime about iTechworld, their batteries aren't 100ah, they lower in tests, but they'd still be more economical to go for a 120ah version.

There would be a difference of over $4000 between going the Revolution high draw and the iTechworld, or $3000 for the Baintech or HardKorr.
    Cheers
    Corry

Corry, I know the pain you are in. If you read the descriptions you would say both their 100 amp batteries are word for word identical, there is no other details about them, not how they're built or anything. Very poor from a very reputable company, or is there a link that I've missed. For the MK on the tinnie I got a 100amp LiFePo4 with charger for around $1000 a while back and it has performed extremely well, mind you I have only had it down to around 50% DOD once, that was with a lot of heavy current and wind that day but still I'm impressed, it also allows me to push the boat into the shed easier as I shed around 14 kg from the bow of the boat when I changed from an AGM, there's a small lip I have to push it over and I struggled before.

Edit: I did find some more details, I obviously didn't check all the pictures out and discharge rates vary but stll no detail on the build.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    I would love to know how to tell a good lithium battery from a bad one.

Looking at prices, there can be a massive difference between the same 'rated' battery, and I mean massive. I've never been one to shop to a budget, but I do like to get the best for what I'm paying.

If you look at these;
    Baintech, 110ah - $999 https://baintech.com.au/product/bain...ith-bluetooth/
    HardKorr, 100ah - $999 https://hardkorr.com/au/deep-cycle-batteries/lithium/
    Revolution, 100ah - $1998 https://revolutionpoweraustralia.com...thium-battery/
    Revolution, 100ah - $1398 https://revolutionpoweraustralia.com...thium-battery/
    iTechworld, 100ah - $599 (normally $900) https://itechworld.com.au/collection...olar-itech100a

Haven't got a price on Enerdrive or PowerPaul as yet.

But what makes them so different, are they that different to warrant the price difference, or is it marketing. When I contacted PowerPaul, he warned me out bigtime about iTechworld, their batteries aren't 100ah, they lower in tests, but they'd still be more economical to go for a 120ah version.

There would be a difference of over $4000 between going the Revolution high draw and the iTechworld, or $3000 for the Baintech or HardKorr.
    Build your own battery and save heaps,you could build a 304amp kit for $1800 and save heaps of space and weight only 24kg.

So I got onto PowerPaul today, they don't assist or give advice with setting a system up, just sell the bits for it

I'll wait and see if I hear back from Revolution Power. They have some fantastic video's on their website of different set ups. Was interesting that one of them for a small boat was a 12v battery with a 24v converter... that might even work, I'll see what they advise when I can speak to them.
    So Revolution Power got back to me, they're recommendation is to run a normal battery as the starter, then run 3 x 12v Lithium batteries for everything else, with a 24v converter to step it up for the Electric, and put a DC-DC charger between the starter battery and the lithium's so they charge off the outboard once the start battery is full.

So I'm now off shopping for some batteries and some gear
    Paul asked me what my set up was going to be before he offered to sell me one of his batteries. I told him the lithium would be the house battery for all my electronics with Victron DC-DC chargers from the engines/start batteries then a 36v converter for the trolling motor. He said it would work fine.

It’s basically the exact same set up that revolution is recommending except one large 300ah Power Paul Battery instead of 3xRevolution 100ah batteries like Outer Line (YouTube) has on his set up. I went with the Power Paul battery for a few reasons:

1. they use very high quality 300ah Calb cells. As good as you’ll get and on par with the Eve cells.
    2. Those cells will draw 300amps continuous without degrading them. The BMS will limit it to 250a.
    3. I know what’s in the Power Paul battery and the quality is excellent.
    4. the Mueller Energy 250a BMS (option) is supposed to be the ducks nuts. (5a active balancer installed)
    5. LED display so I can double check the Bluetooth app is accurate.
    6. 6000 cycle life means this is effectively a life time battery.
    7 I can run a 3000w invert off it if I need to.
    8. You’ll for sure get at least the minimum 300ah out of each battery (he does a full charge/discharge test on each battery and labels their exact capacity).
    9. 26kg
    10. 6 year warranty.
    11. All that delivered for $2500Aud.

what is 3x 100ah Revolution batteries going to set you back?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Their top of the line 200ah battery was $8k compared to a Kings 200ah plus a led worklight for $820.

Thats 9 kings batteries for 1 revolution battery. And the kings have 2 years warranty but nothing stated on revolutions website about warranty.

I'm not a fan of the kings stuff but for those prices its pretty hard to go passed

Their top of the line 200ah battery was $8k compared to a Kings 200ah plus a led worklight for $820.

Thats 9 kings batteries for 1 revolution battery. And the kings have 2 years warranty but nothing stated on revolutions website about warranty.

I'm not a fan of the kings stuff but for those prices its pretty hard to go passed
    Theres a lot of empty space in those kings 200amp batteries theres 8 cells in them with packing there a big footprint.