Thread: VHF Phone call

VHF Phone call

Can one still do this ??, once upon a time ago i used to be able to call up on VHF and get dialled up to my house number etc .
    Can one still do this if out of mobile phone range ??.
    Offcourse there was a cost attatched.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: VHF Phone call

Jeez, that's going back a long way. I used it a few times when i was commercially fishing. in the late 80's, early 90"s ? It was called Seatalk, IIRC. I think it may have gone the way of the dodo with improved mobile phone coverage.

Looks that way too lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Can one still do this ??, once upon a time ago i used to be able to call up on VHF and get dialled up to my house number etc .
    Can one still do this if out of mobile phone range ??.
    Offcourse there was a cost attatched.
    That was HF - radphone and selcall? Been a while. There are still a few bases doing it I believe but the ABC Radio Australia sites we used to book the calls through (Townsville base) are all shut now. Yes, not cheap. Last call I made would have been early 1990's.

edit - Looks like it still exists too. SWLD - Shortwave Listeners Delight - Australian Remote Area (4WD) HF Radio Network Frequencies (VKs-737, VKE-237, VMS-469)
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Ausfish Platinum Member

I e remember thinking it was wonderful--phoning up from out at sea. Then the "Mobile Phone" came along--original was the Motorola bagphone, which was just a Motorola car phone in a vinyl bag with a battery . We were all over that, you could mount an aerial and plug it in. HF radio traffic on 4620 dropped right away very quickly .

Thanks all , Yes i remember keepingin touch with better halfe years back when staying overnight and was a good service even if a little costly just for peace of mind ey .
    Mobile is good so long as your not out of line of sight or too far out but where we go most times cant get through even if ts a Telstra Service .
    Hence my query .

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    That was HF - radphone and selcall? Been a while. There are still a few bases doing it I believe but the ABC Radio Australia sites we used to book the calls through (Townsville base) are all shut now. Yes, not cheap. Last call I made would have been early 1990's.

edit - Looks like it still exists too. SWLD - Shortwave Listeners Delight - Australian Remote Area (4WD) HF Radio Network Frequencies (VKs-737, VKE-237, VMS-469)
    Thats a shame there used to be a Scottish guy on Townsville radio he was excellent to communicate with and listen too.