Thread: Offshore Tackle

Ausfish Platinum Member

Offshore Tackle

For those that fish offshore, what gear are you using?

The detail...
    Wanting to go out and do the surface stuff. Throw big poppers and stickbaits over the reef, targeting GT's, going to get two set ups for this.
    Also want to have a shot at a Sail or Marlin, and,
    Would like to set up a couple of rigs for jigging.

Not looking at setting up purely for Sails/marlin, just want to be able to have a go as I'll be in the area for them, so that is probably not as important as the surface set ups. Thinking this would be more trolling and chasing anything that's there.

I've looked around the web, done a bit of reading, I think I've come down to Diawa's Saltiga for the GT reels, but not sure on size, thinking around the 16-18000. Is this close to the mark, are they too big or should I be looking at the 20000?
    Rod wise, haven't got a clue where to start.

As for the jigging, again, no idea where to start. Up till now I've been using either my Shimano 5000 Sustain or Tranx, both pretty much on standard rods, not jigging rods. These set up are great for the trout and nanny's when bottom bashing, but I want to move towards a dedicated Jigging outfit.

So, throw your experience at me, what are you using, what do you like?
    Cheers
    Corry

Re: Offshore Tackle

GT's ?? , there's a wreck aproxx 12 miles out from the bottom of Farmers here we used to fish for Nannys , Grunter n a couple other species.
    Trying to cut down on costs we used to castnet for Grrenback Herring ( sprats or tailor also known as ).
    Every time we would drop one of these greenbacks a huge GT would be heading up to meet it and i can assure you after awhileit would be not only backbreaking but frightening doing battle with them lol.
    So No Poppers in the tackle box for G T's lol.