Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Online Fishing Stores

Re: Online Fishing Stores

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Classic example of why I buy online....Officeworks is local to me.
    Search google for bt-904s and have a look at the price variations in the results.
    I paid $4.50 each in the end.
    It's still buyer beware. I have bought batteries for a dyson vac cleaner that didn't last anywhere near as much as originals and in the end paid a bit more for them, online still although at times I have found that buying in store can be cheaper. I like Mustard Big Gun hooks and often cheaper for me to buy at the local than from the Australian online stores. If they have to come from china they are cheaper but can take a long time to get here and at times they are a knockoff. My mate decided to buy a mould for SP jigs, it was OK but the hooks he got were a bit ordinary, bent easily and the eyes weren't fully closed, a PIA when you buy them by the 1000.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Ya spot on Jack, it's frustrating isn't it, how much it costs to have it in the same town. Most of my shopping is done online for that reason, but I'm a bit skeptical about buying $1600 fishing reels online.
    Were is it coming from and what reels is it??????.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Were is it coming from and what reels is it??????.
    Looking at buying a couple of 16 or 18000 Saltiga's with rods, and a Lexa on a Spartan rod. Just started shopping last week, but have been 'looking' (researching) for about a month.

I went to our local Tackle World (they are sometimes good to talk to), but the guy that served me last Friday made it feel like I was being treated like a 2nd class citizen... so I walked out. He did have some good stuff to recommend and show me, hence I stayed as long as I did, but I'm not going to support anyone who talks down to people.
    I do like to support local, so I will try a couple of the other tackle shops in town, but I'm not going to support those that I don't believe deserve it. It's not only the rods/reels, now that we're going to be doing a lot of reef and offshore fishing it's going to be the ongoing shopping sprees of gear.
    I miss the early days of Pat's Bait and Tackle in Gladstone or Tackle World Mackay and the service that they used to give years ago (dunno what it's like now but)
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    It's still buyer beware. I have bought batteries for a dyson vac cleaner that didn't last anywhere near as much as originals and in the end paid a bit more for them, online still although at times I have found that buying in store can be cheaper. I like Mustard Big Gun hooks and often cheaper for me to buy at the local than from the Australian online stores. If they have to come from china they are cheaper but can take a long time to get here and at times they are a knockoff. My mate decided to buy a mould for SP jigs, it was OK but the hooks he got were a bit ordinary, bent easily and the eyes weren't fully closed, a PIA when you buy them by the 1000.
    I have found that hooks are best to source online for exactly what I am after. Mustad Demon Circles I can buy at less than half the price of shelf stock locally, usually coming from either Adelaide or Singapore. When the deal turns up I stock up.

I don't buy rods online though, I need to feel what it is to decide.

One item I have not been able to source is bulk packs of lure single hooks.
    Jack.

There's a few store to look at the one just over the board starting with M and Tacklewarehouse there's a there's a few sales on now give them a ring and tell the what you want and see what deals they will give you for the high end stuff you want to buy, Ive gotten a few reels from that store over the boarder over the years,these days if you don't ask or hagle your missing out

Edits: sorry apparently i can mention that store over the boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I have found that hooks are best to source online for exactly what I am after. Mustad Demon Circles I can buy at less than half the price of shelf stock locally, usually coming from either Adelaide or Singapore. When the deal turns up I stock up.

I don't buy rods online though, I need to feel what it is to decide.

One item I have not been able to source is bulk packs of lure single hooks.
    Those single hooks are always a pain as we pour our own flattie and snapper jigs and they don't always fit the moulds. For flatties we like a wider gape than store bought jigs and get a 4/0 from one supplier and they are basically a 3/0 or in-between a 2/0 and a 3/0. Also the gape varies so matching the hatch (excuse the pun)is difficult.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Those single hooks are always a pain as we pour our own flattie and snapper jigs and they don't always fit the moulds. For flatties we like a wider gape than store bought jigs and get a 4/0 from one supplier and they are basically a 3/0 or in-between a 2/0 and a 3/0. Also the gape varies so matching the hatch (excuse the pun)is difficult.
    I am expecting a challenge next time I order jig hooks with Matzuo no longer in the market.....
    Also looking at trying to get beast hooks and creating a new mould to fit those in for a chin weight rather than a belly weight...I do like the coil type keepers and I like EWG hooks but I do not like what is on offer for making a jig utilizing a EWG plus the coil keeper.
    Jack.

Last one I couldn't remove from the top of my middle finger and neither my wife nor daughter wanted to try. Had to pack up the picnic gear, carry it across from Bribie sea side to passage side, drive the boat back to the ramp, load the boat on the trailer, drive home then to the local minor injuries clinic. They wouldn't remove until they gave me an anaesthetic needle into my finger no matter how much I argued but it was policy. I should have walked out, those needles in the top of my finger was far more painful than almost anything else I've had. So much more careful these days.

Edit: the nurse that came to remove it just carefully looked at how it went in, grabbed a pair of forceps and slipped it out. She said if she had of attended me at first she wouldn't have bothered with the needle.
    I just crush the barbs on my trebs , safer for me and better for the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Ya spot on Jack, it's frustrating isn't it, how much it costs to have it in the same town. Most of my shopping is done online for that reason, but I'm a bit skeptical about buying $1600 fishing reels online.

I have imported a couple of high end Daiwa reels from Japan along with some other gear like extra spools without issue and better yet, customs has waived all my high end Japanese fishing gear through so no GST .

High end rods I buy locally as I want to feel them in my hands before i commit. The rest I am happy to do online.

Sadly customs do not do not wave my cigars orders from Europe through, wish they did , wish very much.,

Like someone said above, you need to do your research first so you buy once , buy right.

ok this week i got:
    squid jigs ex Melbourne
    Outrigger rod holders ex Victoria,
    Live bait pump cartridges ex USA
    Ceramic sharpening stones ex Spain
    Jack.