Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Online Fishing Stores

Ausfish Platinum Member

Online Fishing Stores

Who shops online, and where's the best?

Previously I've always liked walking in to a store, having a chat, looking around and then making a purchase... but, should I be looking at online stores. I'm guessing from a warranty perspective they'd all send it back to the creator, it'd just mean that I'll have to send it to them.
    I'm looking at getting a few offshore set ups, going to be chasing maybe 3 rigs, 2 for big GT's etc and one for Sails or Marlin. I'm thinking I can save heaps by buying online, but just skeptical about that whole 'what if something goes wrong' (considering what I'm looking at investing).
    I'll start another thread about the tackle and what you recommend there.

So, you're thoughts on buying big $$ stuff online....
    Cheers
    Corry

Re: Online Fishing Stores

There are plenty of reputable online tackle stores (talking overseas now) & you can save some coin.... but it really depends on what the dollar is doing.
    The first point of call would be Japan . (eg Asian Portal fishing) Oh & at times ... .you can end up paying more overseas - so be aware of the local prices for comparison . Remember we now pay GST on imports where we didn't in the past ( Thanks Gerry Harvey )

Just make sure you know what you want to buy ........ you've held a reel / rod & are certain that is what you want.

Be aware that any warranty claim will not be honored locally

Now from my experience - I've never had a reel returned for warranty so I'm comfortable buying overseas . Keep in mind if you buy high end Daiwa reels , you will need to get them serviced by Daiwa due to the Mag seal technology.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

In the past ive bought a heap of these, hooks need to be replaced as does split rings but they work great and are cheap.
    Fishing Lures Lipless L6972 1/3 inch 1/2 oz – wLure

If buying within Australia I use the tackle place that starts with Mo.

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    In the past ive bought a heap of these, hooks need to be replaced as does split rings but they work great and are cheap.
    Fishing Lures Lipless L6972 1/3 inch 1/2 oz – wLure
    Are these your flattie slayers?
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Are these your flattie slayers?
    They work great but i am starting to steer clear of any lure bar a plastic, as you know a flatty in a net can twist and turn and make a hell of a tangled mess, my go to lure lately has been a 3 inch Zman slim swim in pearl, they catch lots of fish and last for 30 plus fish landed, also the 2.5 inch Zman prawn is also deadly, i also have a fear of getting a set of trebles in my hand or fingers, i had to get a set of trebles out of a guys thumb under the Hornibrook bridge, was not very pleasant for him, i got either spiked or hit with a hook monday last week and it hit a vein in wrist, blood poured out, this was 5 seconds worth, had to wrap it with my tracky dax.
    20230608_130545.jpg

Yep most my Braid and Hooks comes fromonline must say..

They work great but i am starting to steer clear of any lure bar a plastic, as you know a flatty in a net can twist and turn and make a hell of a tangled mess, my go to lure lately has been a 3 inch Zman slim swim in pearl, they catch lots of fish and last for 30 plus fish landed, also the 2.5 inch Zman prawn is also deadly, i also have a fear of getting a set of trebles in my hand or fingers, i had to get a set of trebles out of a guys thumb under the Hornibrook bridge, was not very pleasant for him, i got either spiked or hit with a hook monday last week and it hit a vein in wrist, blood poured out, this was 5 seconds worth, had to wrap it with my tracky dax.
    20230608_130545.jpg
    Ouch. I also hate trebles, seen too many injuries.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Most of my gear is bought online now.
    Do not go online to buy it now....spend the time researching price trends.
    There are a lot more lies told in the online game than in the local store.
    If you allow yourself three weeks to search for a particular reel or whatever you will learn who is offering the right bargain....anything under 50% of in store value is generally a scam.
    I buy globally for cheap stuff like lures.
    I search specifically for clearance or closeouts...in there you can really do well. I bought a heap of one of the squidgy lures that were dropped about 5 years ago for $1 per packet....about 10 years of stock i still have.
    I also bought a 4000 Fi stradic on clearance for $110 delivered from Malaysia...probably my best buy.

The JDM scene is now full of sharks...be sure you factor in the exchange rate, taxes and freight before committing.....they make their profits from extra hefty freight a lot of the time.

I am lucky enough to have a friend or two that are regular Japan visitors....
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ouch. I also hate trebles, seen too many injuries.

This was my last one Sam...its so good when the hook goes right through and then its just a quick and easy fix with a pair of quality sidecutters to cut behind the barb and it slips right out...

treble trouble.jpg

Ones where the hook stays inside present differing levels of both pain and ingenuity to remove depending on where its lodged...

20230608_130545.jpg
    Yer done that on th first fish obf the morning one day lucky it was a small trebble.

Last one I couldn't remove from the top of my middle finger and neither my wife nor daughter wanted to try. Had to pack up the picnic gear, carry it across from Bribie sea side to passage side, drive the boat back to the ramp, load the boat on the trailer, drive home then to the local minor injuries clinic. They wouldn't remove until they gave me an anaesthetic needle into my finger no matter how much I argued but it was policy. I should have walked out, those needles in the top of my finger was far more painful than almost anything else I've had. So much more careful these days.

Edit: the nurse that came to remove it just carefully looked at how it went in, grabbed a pair of forceps and slipped it out. She said if she had of attended me at first she wouldn't have bothered with the needle.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Who shops online, and where's the best?

Previously I've always liked walking in to a store, having a chat, looking around and then making a purchase... but, should I be looking at online stores. I'm guessing from a warranty perspective they'd all send it back to the creator, it'd just mean that I'll have to send it to them.
    I'm looking at getting a few offshore set ups, going to be chasing maybe 3 rigs, 2 for big GT's etc and one for Sails or Marlin. I'm thinking I can save heaps by buying online, but just skeptical about that whole 'what if something goes wrong' (considering what I'm looking at investing).
    I'll start another thread about the tackle and what you recommend there.

So, you're thoughts on buying big $$ stuff online....
    If you look in store first then look at the online stores for bargin's or cheaper prices because there's nothing worst than opening up the parcel and finding its not what you thought it would be especially rods ,i bought an Okuma titus 20 overhead reel many years ago thinking it was going to fit a 30lb stick well but it was to big and heavy for the rod,going by the fish you want to chase id be looking in store or may be gumtree with interest rates going up everyone is selling there unused toys these days and there serious fish your fishing for and only the best will do if you want to catch a lot of them and you want your gear to last.

And another thing to consider the delivery drivers these days are not what they used to be long fragile items or any item doesn't get the care it deserves anymore.

Classic example of why I buy online....Officeworks is local to me.
    Search google for bt-904s and have a look at the price variations in the results.
    I paid $4.50 each in the end.
    Jack.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ya spot on Jack, it's frustrating isn't it, how much it costs to have it in the same town. Most of my shopping is done online for that reason, but I'm a bit skeptical about buying $1600 fishing reels online.
    Cheers
    Corry