Thread: Pirtek fishing comp last weeken

Pirtek fishing comp last weeken

Gday guys, just a brief report from Caloundra passage from last weekend, 22/23 April. As anyone local would remember, the wind was howling!!!! We left home Saturday at 8.30am with the plan being to return home Sunday lunch time. The target species for the comp were whiting and flathead.
    I had pumped some yabbies on Thursday as the tide was too high on Saturday morning.
    First thing was to drop 8 pots out hoping for a crab or 2. We spread them from golden beach to lighthouse reach to see if there was much about.
    Then south to try and seek some shelter from the wind. We went as far south as the narrow bits just before Cochin creek as that was about our limit for water depth. We did hit bottom many times prior to here but nothing serious.
    We fished until about 2.00pm for about 8 average whiting only. It was nearly impossible to keep a yabbie out there without pulling a crab in. Only Jenny muddies.
    Off to check pots and pump more yabbies. Ended that run with 6 good muddy bucks
    and 2 sandies. We cooked the sandies and 2 muddies for dinner.
    Not many more fish that afternoon.
    Up Sunday morning and checked the pots for the most crabs I have ever seen!!! Every pot had either 5 or 6 muddies in it. Mainly Jennie or small bucks but we did end up with 6 more keepers for a total of 10 to bring home. Fishing hadn’t improved and the wind was relentless so we headed home about 9.00am. Nice feed of whiting, nothing of any size but. No flatty to enter.
    Very average weather but still good times had by all.

Cheers
    LeeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1682371952.231562.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	9.6 KB 
ID:	126741

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Pirtek fishing comp last weeken

Thanks for that. Nice to get a Passage report. It seems the fishing has gone right off since the new bar opened.

Good report Lee. I did get out a few days before the comp and had contemplated taking some pots out but they're still sitting there with about 5 years of dust on them. The fishing was slow then also, I just think it's in between seasons and will pick up with the next full moon.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

There were some good rusty crabs in that hall good to see.

Yeh some good crabs Chris, they all looked ok but were pretty empty. Even the rusty ones were max 50% full. We through back others that were clearly empty and kept what looked ok but none were anywhere near full.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

That is the third year the comp has been ruined by bad weather, we fished Donnybrook to Toorbul area, my leccy couldnt move us at top speed against the tide and wind, we caught 10 flathead but nothing special.