6 solid hours to find the pinholes and highlight them, fill and wet sand:

IMG_4165.jpg IMG_4168.jpg

Didn't quite get it all sanded off.

Next step is to finish sanding, fill any obvious pinholes and highbuild #2

Hopefully, tomorrow...

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines V15 rebuild

Hi all.

Managed to move forward with the little Haines.

The fairing proved to be a bit problematic, as there was so much to do on such a little boat, because I had to grind off all the green deck molding gelcoat and re-glass and then fair. I won't be doing another boat with sun damaged crazed gelcoat. Just too much work, and it stopped being fun.

Anyhoo, I had to highbuild and fair a total of 3 times to get it right. It should only take 1, if done properly, but the pinholes were very difficult to get rid of.

Sanded down and ready for another highbuild. It was showing countless pinholes at this stage:
    IMG_4161.jpg

Highbuild, again:
    IMG_4210(1).jpg

Which was wet sanded with 400. A lot less pinholes, so I spot filled them with fine putty, but had to do it 3 times to get it right...

IMG_4234.jpg

It took 10 days from second application of highbuild to being ready for paint, because of the weather and the sheer volume of pinholes.

Eventually, it was good to paint.
    Everything was prepped bright and early, started painting at 10.30am, done just before noon:
    IMG_4235.jpg IMG_4234.jpg IMG_4238.jpg

Couldn't be happier. Good gloss, minimal peel - doesn't get much better than that.

The next morning, I found that all of the horizontal surfaces had blushed, and had to be repainted.

Yes, this exact same thing happened to the 19' Haines I did a couple of years ago. Dew settled on the fresh paint and the falling overnight temperature caused the blush.

Only solution was to paint it again, and leave it undercover for the night.

I had to get the trailer prepared. I had previously replaced the crossmembers, but the rollers all needed servicing. That happened fairly painlessly, and it fitted in the garage:
    IMG_4249(1).jpg

I then test loaded the boat onto the trailer, spent a bit of time adjusting rollers, got it working properly, then dropped her back on the deck, re-prepared the decks for paint, and masked her up ready to paint 1st thing next morning:
    IMG_4248(1).jpg

The painting went well, and I managed to load her back onto the trailer without touching any uncured paint, and put her into the garage for the night.
    I actually let her sit there for a couple of days...

Now I was happy. Paint looked beaut:
    IMG_4253.jpg

Next step in the process was to get the gunnel rubber on. As there is no deck/hull flange, I had to create one from Alloy unequal angle, 20x12x3:
    IMG_4266.jpg

And to then fit the gunnel rubber:
    IMG_4277.jpg IMG_4279(1).jpg

While I was at it, I found some chine tape left over from a previous build to try, and I really like it, so that's how it will be finished.

Now that the boat is painted, sitting on the trailer and the gunnel's done (which was a bit of a concern, as I don't have an assistant and it's pretty difficult to do alone), I have my JuJu back and I'm super keen to get the little boat finished.

The motor is ready to be fitted, so next stage will be mechanical fit out.

More soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

It's surprising how long some little jobs can take.

When I was modifying the trailer winch post after the boat was painted, I did some steel grinding a bit too close to the boat and after a few days I noticed traces of rust all over the horizontal surfaces, from stem to stern. The fix was to sand the boat with 3000 grit then to recut and polish.

Worked a treat. Looks even better!

I wanted to get the side pockets mocked up, but before that could happen, I needed to get the seats fitted.
    The original HH seats I scored had no bases, so it was build from scratch. I wanted to build them in glass, so I put together a base mold from melamine, which should do the trick:
    IMG_4295.jpg

Laid one up, fitted one of the seats and was quite pleased with the result:
    IMG_4294.jpg

I reassembled the mold and laid up the 2nd base and fitted the seats in the boat and confirmed my decision to use them:
    IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

While I was at it, I fitted the control box and tried to work out where to mount the hydraulic helm unit.
    IMG_4300.jpg

I didn't cut out for the helm, as the wheel hasn't turned up yet and I need to check clearances with the control box.

But I have decided to try to restore the original windscreen and refit it.

Waiting on a discontinued lower pan gasket (thick bespoke rubber) for the Mercury 90, from a 2nd hand dealer in USA.
    Just couldn't find one here. The wreckers didn't want to know about it.
    The US$15 that was being asked on eBay has actually cost me $87.00 with transport costs and the exchange rate.
    But gotta have it...

More in a few weeks, hopefully.

Ausfish Silver Member

Just got back from a few weeks away - and now back into the little Haines.

Paint work was looking a bit average after 3 weeks in the weather with kamikaze bats, so I gave it another cut and polish and a good squirt with ceramic coating. I was so pleased with the results that I did the cars as well.

The interior flowcoat was looking pretty average after glassing the deck to the hull, so I gave it all a good grind and a sand, acetone wipe and re-flowcoated. I'm liking it without the speckle, but I'll see how I feel in a couple of weeks.

I had previously bought some alloy "Table edging" section to run around the inner comings, and they went on fairly easily and neatly.
    Certainly looks better than the pinch-weld I used on the V19C...
    IMG_4632.jpg IMG_4633.jpg

The new steering wheel showed up, so on with the helm. Oddly enough, it went back exactly where the factory had put it originally.
    Who'd have thought?
    Perhaps they actually did know what they were doing?

Took the trailer to MRD for registration today, and stopped off at the weighbridge on the way home
    IMG_4636.jpg IMG_4635.jpg

Yep, that's 540kegs with no motor, which is another 135kg + battery +fuel (65litres 65kg) + ground tackle, safety gear, and Stuff = well over 750kg.

Bugger. I need to get a braked trailer... I think I know where there's one - in the back yard! The Dunbier that I used it to put the boat in the garage, but I was "Wishfully thinking" that the unbraked restored Brooker it's on now would do the job. Alas, the Brooker itself is 240kg, so I will need to swap to the braked 1500kg GVM Dunbier

Not minding the look of that screen. Maybe I can restore it.
    IMG_4629.jpg

But I love those looney seats!
    IMG_4297.jpg IMG_4306.jpg

Ol' mate Cyril is back from holidays tomorrow (motor is at his place), so may be able to get the merc on over the weekend...

More soon.

Where did you get the table edging from

Great job yer it dont take long for the weight to add up and the need for a braked trailer all the boat yard were sell a lot of 40hp 2strokes to keep under the weight for the trailer add a 4stroke and yep braked trailer time.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinwd1 View Post
    Where did you get the table edging from
    Action Aluminium at Geebung. (07) 3265 7150 They are also at Acacia Ridge and Molendinar.
    Item No. MTEF 2062
    Table Edge Finished 6060 T1 20.62 x 6.73 x 4.0mtr

The 2 lengths (8m) cost $30.00

Ausfish Silver Member

Spent a couple hours at Ol' mate Cyril's this morning and fitted up the 90:
    IMG_4660.jpg IMG_4662.jpg

Getting closer...

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

It has been a long time, but I have finally finished the little V15R.

The majority of time was wasted actually deliberating on how to finish it.

I decided on original windscreen (refurbished) and layback fore and aft seating.

1st thing was to get the wiring happening:
    IMG_0841(1).jpg IMG_0832.jpg

Which went well enough.
    New battery and battery box, custom cables, Battery isolation switch, pull down 6 gang switch block, manually operated 4500gph bilge pump and float switched 750gph.
    LED running lights and All round white on 2 position switch;
    IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0829.jpg

While it was undercover, I fitted up the fuel system - removeable 45litre bow tank and 25litre stern tank, fuel hoses feeding to water separating filter then through primer to engine.

Next was the windscreen refurbishment - frame repair -
    IMG_0912(1).jpg

Perspex replacement, and remounting:
    IMG_0936.jpg

I had asked for the blue tinged tint, but they gave me the black instead.
    Rather than lose mor time, I used it and found that it picked up the black in the gunnel rubber, so I can live with it.

It was all good enough then to water test, so got the boat and trailer registered and dropped her in at Colmslie ramp and went for a run up the Brisbane River to the University of Queensland and back.

Very surprised by this little boat.

Having done a V146R, I was expecting the ride to be very good, but this little original Ray Hunt design totally surprised me.
    Without doubt, it is the smoothest riding 15 footer I have ever been in.
    We were deliberately hunting City Cats with converging wakes to see if she could be upset. I set the speed at 4,000rpm (27kts) and just held the wheel with no change of course to see what she'd do.
    One would normally try to hit the wake square on the bow and possibly slow down a bit, but we were having none of that!
    She just took it in her stride and those aggressive chines gently flattened out the confused sea state.

Gave it a full throttle run for about 5 minutes and played with trim and weight distribution, and she seemed pretty stable at 37kts.
    I don't know if she was up on the plank or not. I certainly didn't feel it "pop" and float, but it did come up on the plane very easily and I dare to say would not struggle to pull up a single slalom skier.

The run to Uni and back only went through about 15 litres, so I'm optimistic that it will be pretty economical.

I enjoyed the boat so much, I decided to finish it properly.

This meant adding the original olive green to the deck, but with a bit of a modern twist:
    IMG_0946.jpg IMG_0948.jpg IMG_0950(1).jpg

I really like that look.

I got some of the chine tape sent over from the UK and finished the chine striping.
    IMG_1007.jpg

And finished the dashboard properly:
    IMG_1013(1).jpg

And that's it.

Done.
    Last edited by giddyup58; 10-06-2024 at 07:00 PM. Reason: picture didn't load

Superb job. Thanks for the story. It’s been a great one to follow over the time. What’s next ?

Enjoy it now would be the best thing for it.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Looks great ,especially with the original windscreen.Love the idea of the fold out seats