Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haines V15 rebuild

Ausfish Silver Member

Re: Haines V15 rebuild

Hi all.

A little further advanced.

I ground the gelcoat off the dashboard and the well, and finished filling the holes in the dash - steering helm and tacho:
    IMG_4083(1).jpg IMG_4084(1).jpg

Next, epoxy glassed the entire deck area to fix the micro cracks, and this included joining the aft deck to the side decks:
    IMG_4091(1).jpg

Cyril has started hasseling me for painted engine pieces, as all the parts arrived from Mercury to put the 90 back together again, so I got stuck into preparing the transom assembly, gearbox, trunk, lower cowls and powerhead cowl for paint:
    IMG_4090(1).jpg IMG_4094(1).jpg

Managed to get them all into colour:
    IMG_4099(1).jpg IMG_4100(1).jpg

Really happy with the paint job.
    I'll probably fit the decals tomorrow.

Today, I spent a fair bit of time accurately cutting the deck flange to the same height around the perimeter of the boat, then fixing it in place.
    I was happy that the gap between the deck flange and the hull feature profile was now the same, that I got inside under the deck and began glassing the deck to the hull:
    IMG_4101.jpg IMG_4102.jpg

I got about 50% done, but thankfully, it was the worst part, (under the foredeck), so tomorrow should be a lot easier.

The plan for tomorrow is to finish the glassing and to then get some epoxy bog onto the deck, engine well, top-sides and transom.
    I'd really like for it to be fully painted by the end of the week-end.

But, as they say, the greatest plans of mice and men...

Maybe Smidsy should have sent his cowl to you to do at the sane time. He seems to have had a little problem painting his.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi again.

Pushed on today and managed to get most of the wish list done.

Started with the completion of bonding the deck to hull. Nothing untoward - just uncomfortable upside-down glassing - but it was over fairly quickly...

I then ground off the last of the gelcoat in the dashboard "well" and epoxied over with some granite fibre. I'm happy now that all of the gelcoat has been removed. I just had a bad feeling that but for an hours' work, that gelcoat was going to come back and bite me on the butt. But it's all gone and glassed now, so no worries.

This photo shows the newly applied Basalt fibre:
    IMG_4109(1).jpg

I was also a bit concerned about the st'b'd side reverse chine and on close inspection, I did find stress fractures which I'd missed earlier.
    Grind it out, epoxy on some basalt:
    IMG_4108(1).jpg

I then had a go at speed board 40 grit fairing of the Port side reverse chine repairs:
    IMG_4106(1).jpg

Quite happy with the result.

Next, I washed the whole deck down with acetone and began applying epoxy bog:
    Started in the engine well, back deck and transom. The 1st coat went down as expected:
    IMG_4107(1).jpg

Running low on microballoons, but I had just enough to do the foredeck:
    IMG_4111.jpg

Looks like the next few days will be bogging and fairing.
    That in itself is not an issue, but using epoxy is. Once applied, it usually can't be touched with sand-paper for 24 hrs, so a lot of time is spent waiting.

And I don't do 'wait" well...

Giddyup can I ask why the use of basalt fibre as I don’t know what it is and searching for it on the internet doesn't give me a good reason as to its use.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Is your fairing bog just a combination of microballoons and epoxy or do you add some aerosil

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Giddyup can I ask why the use of basalt fibre as I don’t know what it is and searching for it on the internet doesn't give me a good reason as to its use.
    Contact AA Composites at Hemmant in Brisbane. Des (the proprietor) invented the fiber, is the manufacturer and the point of sale.
    In a nutshell, it is almost as strong as Carbon but significantly cheaper, can be used with poly, vinyl or epoxy and is really easy to use.

Ausfish Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinwd1 View Post
    Is your fairing bog just a combination of microballoons and epoxy or do you add some aerosil
    Microballoons and epoxy only.
    Add aerosil and it will be like trying to sand concrete. Not a good plan.

Ausfish Silver Member

Couldn't do too much today, as (expectedly), the epoxy bog had not cured enough to sand, so I prepped the rest of the boat for epoxy and set upon it with lots of bog:

IMG_4114.jpg IMG_4115.jpg
    IMG_4116.jpg

Of course, I completely forgot to bog the reverse chine repairs... Bugger!

I seriously doubt that I will have it painted by the end of the weekend, but I'll be happy if I can get it into 1st highbuild.

Ausfish Silver Member

Didn't even get close!

I realised too late on Friday afternoon that I was not going to have enough epoxy to finish the job over the weekend, but I did manage to get 1st coat sanded and the 2nd coat onto the deck and the engine well and transom. Still a lot to do.
    IMG_4118.jpg IMG_4120.jpg

Saturday was spent having a good look at the trailer and working out what is needed to be replaced, mechanical work on the 90 - trying (unsuccessfully), to salvage upper engine mounts from a wreck -
    IMG_4117.jpg

Finishing the merc cowl with decals:
    IMG_4121.jpg

So basically, a pretty quiet week-end...
    Last edited by giddyup58; 25-06-2023 at 07:05 PM. Reason: photos didn't load

Ausfish Silver Member

Sorry folks, pressed wrong button...

Ausfish Silver Member

And the sanding and bog work continues:

1st big sand then 2nd application of bog:
    IMG_4123.jpg IMG_4124.jpg

2 day wait, then after 6 solid hours of sanding, 3rd application of bog:
    IMG_4126.jpg IMG_4127.jpg IMG_4128(1).jpg

Getting closer and closer to highbuild...

You must have the patience of a saint, not sure I could put that much effort into it although the finished product will be schmick.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Silver Member

I do admit to being a bit over bogging and fairing. It wouldn't be so bad if the epoxy would go off in half a day, but if it's applied after 3pm, it's un-sandable until the 2nd morning of the day after application. It seems to need about 40 hours drying time.
    So I lose a complete day, which doesn't fare well with my OCD...

Anyhoo, given that I need a fill in job while waiting for bog to dry properly, I wheeled the trailer front and centre, and had a good look at what was needed.

There's as fair bit of ugly there, but most is superficial:
    IMG_4135(1).jpg

All of the rollers need replacement, the roller assemblies need a birthday and some surface rust treatment, the rear crossmember needs replacement and the frame needs the rear 2m of both rails replaced.
    I got the necessary steel for the repairs and figured out "the plan".

Next day, the bog was cured 100%, so out with the speed board again, but before I got carried away with sanding, I refitted the original gunnel alloy to see if any bright ideas would jump out at me:
    IMG_4140(1).jpg IMG_4141(1).jpg

Dead easy to fit and definitely looks the part, but it's bloody expensive and not particularly robust.
    I may stick with the original idea of putting a more modern rubber gunnel on, but that will really detract from the originality of the old girl...

So I lost myself in sanding and bogging, again.

Sand and re-bog #3:
    IMG_4142(1).jpg

IMG_4143(1).jpg

While I was there, I drilled 28mm holes where necessary in the transom for the engine mounting bolts and ski hooks.
    Those holes were then filled with thickened epoxy.
    The purpose is to fully protect the ply core, and the epoxy will be redrilled with the requisite 13mm holes, thus totally isolating the ply.
    IMG_4144(1).jpg

Next day, (today), back onto the trailer.

This photo shows the trailer stripped, the rear crossmember removed and the new stb'd side rail installed:
    IMG_4145(1).jpg

Here, the port side rail has been welded in, the replacement rear crossmember fabricated and fitted , all the surface machine wire brushed and the entire trailer treated to a coat of extoll rust preventative.
    IMG_4147(1).jpg

Tomorrow should be right to get back into sanding and prepping for high-build, unless I missed something and need to add more bog...

The trailer will get attention during "drying" days. The Jotun high-build I use also needs a full 40 hours to cure to the point where it can be sanded without instantly clogging the sand paper.

But it's all good fun and I'm enjoying seeing the progress

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

Sand and re-bog #4 went fine, but lost a couple of days with the rain.

Blue sky this morning, so last bog sand (#5) and prepped for highbuild:
    IMG_4153(1).jpg IMG_4154(1).jpg

Got the highbuild on:
    IMG_4156(1).jpg IMG_4157(1).jpg
    IMG_4158(1).jpg IMG_4159(1).jpg

Couple of days to harden, then 240 wet sand.

More soon, hopefully.

Ausfish Silver Member

Hi all.

I managed to finish the 1st wet sand of the highbuild since the last post.
    It's always a milestone to get the highbuild on, as the boat looks much better and give the impression of nearly being finished.
    But it's a total illusion, as when sanding off the guide coat, one sees all of the imperfections.

There's now about a million pinholes to fill, and they have to be done by hand. The highbuild just blows out of the holes, so fine putty has to be literally wiped in, faired, then more highbuild applied.

IMG_4160.jpg IMG_4161.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg IMG_4164.jpg

But slow and steady wins the race, right?
    I'm hoping it will only need 1 more highbuild, but I'm prepared for 2.

More soon.