Thread: 1770 Offshore - March 16-17 2023

1770 Offshore - March 16-17 2023

Had been keeping an eye on the weather for a quick strike mission to the reef in the new rig and last week did not disappoint.

Loaded the car Tuesday night for a Wednesday afternoon getaway after work. 6 hour drive from Brisbane to 1770 and set up the swags at the ramp for a few hours of broken, sweaty 'sleep'.
    It was evident right away that our decision to skip work for a couple days would be justified based entirely on the number of boats at the ramp. The place was FULL.

Woke up pre-dawn to pack up and get going. Left the ramp as the sun hit the horizon for the 1 hour punch to Fitzroy reef in total glass.
    https://youtube.com/shorts/__nrHPHeZE0?feature=share

Having not fished this stretch of reef before the day was spent sounding around for marks, deploying the electric, drop the jigs (Nomad Squidtrex are like crack for fish), catch fish then move to the next spot. I didn't have an electric on the old boat and the sounder wouldn't read at anything over 6 knots so the difference these 2 items of kit make is really quite astonishing.
    We ended up with a few Trout and Tuskies each.

One thing I did notice was a distinct lack of surface action the entire 2 days. Besides the odd splash here or there we saw nothing. Just birds floating in flocks barely moving.

Fished and explored the rest of the day. Also did some diving around Fitzroy but it was pretty barren in 10-12 metres.

Pulled the pin around 3pm and headed in for a well deserved beer or two.

Day 2 greeted us with similar conditions only this time we headed for Lamont Reef for some new ground and supposedly better diving.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7758.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	126636

Same deal as the day before, sound around for marks then drop. Another few good trout and tusk fish were landed so the decision was made to get out of the heat and do some diving.
    We drifted the edge of Lamont reef in anywhere between 6m & 15m depth. Found plenty of life around especially that of the toothy variety.
    I managed to shoot my PB trout estimated at 80 cm (thing was a horse) but unfortunately only surfaced with the head after a large Whaler decided it wanted the fish more than I did.

Sharks are always part of our dives so I am very used to dealing with them but the ones I encountered on this trip on Lamont reef were the most aggressive, pesky bastards I've ever had to deal with. I was nudged twice (without a fish on the spear) and lost 2 good fish before deciding it was pointless to continue.

Still, had a great trip with a couple of mates. Caught enough fish to keep us happy, enjoyed near perfect conditions and helped put my mates on to their first real reef fish. Smiles all round.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7763.jpg 
Size:	90.9 KB 
ID:	126637 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corey.jpg 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	126638

Re: 1770 Offshore - March 16-17 2023

A fishing report!!
    Would have been an awesome couple of days, terrible conditions though!

Thanks for the write-up.

Great to see you had a good time. A shame I couldn't access the video, kept saying it was private.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Well done, very jealous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

very nice ..... .great to see a report go up

Horrible conditions you had to deal with

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Great to see you had a good time. A shame I couldn't access the video, kept saying it was private.
    Apologies mate. Should be fixed now.
    Absolutely magic part of the world.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Unit View Post
    Apologies mate. Should be fixed now.
    Absolutely magic part of the world.....
    Great looking boat there mate. Certainly is, I haven't fished that way for a number if years now but hoping to get back soon, weather and crew permitting
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Ausfish Platinum Member

Looks like an awesome trip, these ones stay in the memory banks for years.
    I've always wanted to get over the side and do some spearing, I'm keener now that we live in Cairns and the reef is just there, but having not done it before, every time I do go to jump overboard, something happens, we see a big shark or something else stirs up, and I then find all the excuses under the sun to stay onboard. One day, I'll get there.
    Great to see a fishing report too, been missing these lately.
    Cheers
    Corry