Thread: Moreton - Jan 27, 2023

Thumbs up Moreton - Jan 27, 2023

Quick rundown from last Friday while I ease my way back in to the working week.

Did the early run out of Manly headed offshore of the cape to chase some Mackerel before the closure.
    We stopped off along the way to pick up some live bait. Couldn't find any Yellowtail or Slimeys so made do with a few Herring off one of the beacons. Made it out to Hutchisons just after dawn and trolled for around an hour before the first hook up. A nice little Black Marlin (a first for the new boat) on a live Herring. Not the target species but definitely very welcome.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	126555

Finished our lap to the end of the reef with no more hits so decided to check out the FAD nearby for some Mahi. Ended up with a few decent sized models all on livies (they simply weren't interested in lures this morning).
    Then once we had enough for a feed we headed back towards Flinders for a last troll before pulling the pin and landed a Spanish right at the end of the troll. We had run out of live bait by this stage and caught the Mackerel on a slow trolled gar on a simple dead bait rig.

While the old man was tidying up the deck I dropped a soft vibe in 20m of water and snatched a Grassy Emporer. I attempted to release him but there was no saving this one so in the esky he went.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fish.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	126556

Decent half day trip in the end. I did another run out the following day (Saturday) but with the weather as good as it was it was an absolute circus out there. There's no doubt in my mind that the heavy boat traffic pushes the fish out. For this reason I try not to fish the weekends where possible. I'm just lucky I've put myself in a position where I can sneak the odd day off from work when the weather plays the game.

Hope eveyone else had a chance to get out over the weekend. Was too nice to be stuck indoors

Re: Moreton - Jan 27, 2023

Nice work well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk