Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Hornet reveal

Project Hornet reveal

Well after a month of work on the Hornet - & a lot of cash ..... it's ready to hit the water . Hornet completed.jpg hornet cockpit.jpg Hornet 1.jpg

I still see this as a work in progress with a new console & gauges to be added but I'm now at a point where I can put her in the water & chill for a while .

I mentioned that I came up with a novel approach for spot lights - what do you think lights.jpg

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Project Hornet reveal

Looks like to will do what you wanted it to do

what have you done for rod storage and all new sounders ?

Sure looks the goods, hope it proves to be a lucky fish catcher! What's with the rego number on the back?

I think it will be great for the barra , cod & so

It has a rod locker which I've modified to take a couple of swim bait outfits . It will hold 4 rigged rods locked in & you'd be able to add another couple loose

I'll probably look to adding some vertical storage for travelling from one spot to another - I just need to work out where that doesn't impede - you can lay a couple of outfits on the rod locker lid .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Sure looks the goods, hope it proves to be a lucky fish catcher! What's with the rego number on the back?
    Well - come Christmas time I'll know if it's a fishy boat

Rego I managed to get BARRA in it 08ARRAN - waiting to get some decent custom numbers made
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Looking good. The spotties look good except there are a few things in front of them that will reflect back,hope it doesn't affect you're vision.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Looks great.

Out of curiosity, how did the final build cost go compared to what you thought? Not after any numbers, just curious about whether it cost a lot more than you thought or less or about right.

Quote Originally Posted by andoland View Post
    Looks great.

Out of curiosity, how did the final build cost go compared to what you thought? Not after any numbers, just curious about whether it cost a lot more than you thought or less or about right.
    Ta

This project has cost me a lot more than I envisaged . I didn't imagine that I would be replacing wiring / skin fittings / cast decks / fuel lines ..... all which add up very quickly .

Most of the big cost came through adding RAM mounts , wiring for the two HDS live sounders , 3 in 1 transducer & dual batteries with VSR .

Then adding a quality VHF Radio / antenna, replacing the stereo & speakers . Adding USB charging

Now that I'm going digital - The NMEA 2000 gateway + NMEA backbone + Digital gauge

Trailer - New wheels / tyres , winch , brake calipers & override brakes ...... most would have needed to be replaced sooner rather than later

So without accounting for a new console - close to $9K of additional spend

Thankfully - I already have the 2 large (12 & 16" sounders , minn kota / LiFePO4 batteries / Active Target which I can move from one boat to the next ....... That would be another $20K

So in the end this will probably cost me $32K which in my mind is fair & reasonable for what I have

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Its come up real nice mate...great to be able to switch over sounders, leccy, safety gear etc..that saves some big bikkies..

and great to see the mounted spotties there to blind anyone within 5 miles...

Have you taken it for a test spin yet...?

Not trying to put the mockers on you ,man......These poor Cairns bugga's bought an Explorer Trophy on saturday and gave her a maiden voyage Sunday...unfortunately the Quinny split along the keel before it could make it out of Cairns harbour..Trinity inlet is not a great place to end up in the water either with plenty of bullsharks and crocs lurking...but hey at least there was enough foam in it that it didnt sink..

explorer trophy.jpg

I have had a keel split before on a Telwater made boat and sometimes wonder about my current Quinny when out around the islands..not to mention my China boat..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Its come up real nice mate...great to be able to switch over sounders, leccy, safety gear etc..that saves some big bikkies..

and great to see the mounted spotties there to blind anyone within 5 miles...

Have you taken it for a test spin yet...?

Not trying to put the mockers on you ,man......These poor Cairns bugga's bought an Explorer Trophy on saturday and gave her a maiden voyage Sunday...unfortunately the Quinny split along the keel before it could make it out of Cairns harbour..Trinity inlet is not a great place to end up in the water either with plenty of bullsharks and crocs lurking...but hey at least there was enough foam in it that it didnt sink..

explorer trophy.jpg

I have had a keel split before on a Telwater made boat and sometimes wonder about my current Quinny when out around the islands..not to mention my China boat..
    Thanks Mate

Those little spotties are terrific & an absolute must when fishing some of the dams like Mondy ( be there at Christmas)

Yes took the boat on a shake down trip on the weekend . We really tested her out too . Loaded her up with camping gear & launched at Nelson Bay (Port Stephens) & did the long run up the Myall River ..... camping on the Myall river . Then heading up as far as Bulahdelah & doing some bass fishing . What a magnificent waterway . Ended up doing 155km & burnt 75 liters of fuel . We did initially have an issue with the motor spluttering & dying ..... turned out that the fuel hose was slightly too long & would kink . Cut around 4 cm out of the hose - problem solved . The motor ran nicely & on flat water we got around 52km / h out of her . The only issue is the dodgy fuel gauge ( full is 2/3rds on the gauge ) you have no idea so will just use my trip gauge on the sounder & count on 2km / lt for a 120km range . The gauge looked pretty sad at Bulahdelah & so walked up to the petrol station (3 times) with a 5lt petrol can & topped her up ....... gave us that peace of mind that we would do the 60 odd Ks back to Nelson bay without a drama.

But yeh a really good shake down trip

Yep cracked my keel on my first Quinny - 535 Reef Raider ........ easy fix & didn't have any more issues with it .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have helped repair quite a few tinnies cracked along the keel, almost all of them had crappy trailers with only a couple of keel rollers on them, the cracks start at a roller, then just get bigger/longer as the boat is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I have helped repair quite a few tinnies cracked along the keel, almost all of them had crappy trailers with only a couple of keel rollers on them, the cracks start at a roller, then just get bigger/longer as the boat is used.
    Mine happened in front of the first roller at the bow ...... a place that I thought would cop the least battering

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nearly all the ones I have seen (quite a few brands) were fitted with trailers way too small, obviously to get the "package deal" price down, a couple were straight out abuse, but, in the main, most had only two keel rollers, or maybe three, not counting the rear one that doesn't touch the boat when it's on the trailer (which is an issue in itself). My good mate across the road used to build and repair aluminium boats, and he always got me to help him get the boat off the trailer for repairs, shame he moved away, can't get little things made now.

Sounds like a perfect boat for smoothwater adventures Chris..probably easier for towing any distance as well..

You brought back a few nostalgic memories there man... I grew up in Bulahdelah..population just 1000..and yeah thats a cool trip down the river from there to Port Stevens..amazing waterways and coastline around that region..we used to fish anywhere from Crowdy head to Nelsons bay/Broughton island but it was also good for prawning in the Lakes so we used to sometimes camp at Mungo brush and drag the lake for prawns...used to love that as a kid....Seal rocks was also a favourite camping spot for land based rock fishing for Drummer and Blackfish....Greenzone now but I think..

and yeah Noel thats a good point about the trailers....I have learnt firsthand the damage you can cause with a shitty trailer setup....now I wouldnt have another trailer without a roller ladder or some full length keel support...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Interesting to see how you go with the lights. I had lights on both boats mounted so that I got the reflection off the electric, was the worse set up ever. I've since mounted different lights on the little boat as I use it more in creeks and closer areas, so much better now. It's surprising how much light reflects off a white object, I used to wrap it in a sack bag to stop the reflection. Can see so much better now there is no reflection at all.
    I'm about to put new lights on the big boat and relocate them at the same time.
    Love the build, and the updates along the way, has given me some good ideas for my next tinny (trying to get one built at Aluvan) with layout and positioning stuff. Well done.
    Cheers
    Corry