Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Project Hornet reveal

Re: Project Hornet reveal

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Mate

Those little spotties are terrific & an absolute must when fishing some of the dams like Mondy ( be there at Christmas)

Yes took the boat on a shake down trip on the weekend . We really tested her out too . Loaded her up with camping gear & launched at Nelson Bay (Port Stephens) & did the long run up the Myall River ..... camping on the Myall river . Then heading up as far as Bulahdelah & doing some bass fishing . What a magnificent waterway . Ended up doing 155km & burnt 75 liters of fuel . We did initially have an issue with the motor spluttering & dying ..... turned out that the fuel hose was slightly too long & would kink . Cut around 4 cm out of the hose - problem solved . The motor ran nicely & on flat water we got around 52km / h out of her . The only issue is the dodgy fuel gauge ( full is 2/3rds on the gauge ) you have no idea so will just use my trip gauge on the sounder & count on 2km / lt for a 120km range . The gauge looked pretty sad at Bulahdelah & so walked up to the petrol station (3 times) with a 5lt petrol can & topped her up ....... gave us that peace of mind that we would do the 60 odd Ks back to Nelson bay without a drama.

But yeh a really good shake down trip

Yep cracked my keel on my first Quinny - 535 Reef Raider ........ easy fix & didn't have any more issues with it .

Chris
    Ha Chris have you any idea what the package weighs???? I thought the 75 may have pushed it over 30 knots.

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Interesting to see how you go with the lights. I had lights on both boats mounted so that I got the reflection off the electric, was the worse set up ever. I've since mounted different lights on the little boat as I use it more in creeks and closer areas, so much better now. It's surprising how much light reflects off a white object, I used to wrap it in a sack bag to stop the reflection. Can see so much better now there is no reflection at all.
    I'm about to put new lights on the big boat and relocate them at the same time.
    Love the build, and the updates along the way, has given me some good ideas for my next tinny (trying to get one built at Aluvan) with layout and positioning stuff. Well done.
    That's were experience comes into play (been there , done that) - This design is brilliant ..... even if I do say so myself

With the lights mounted so far forward there is no reflection (visible) a little off the front of the minn kota - which you dont notice . spotlights (2).jpg
    If I pointed both lights inwards - there would be none . We tested it up the Myall river & they were brilliant.

I'm really pleased with how the boat has turned out & looking forward t the road trip up north next week.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Ha Chris have you any idea what the package weighs???? I thought the 75 may have pushed it over 30 knots.
    No idea really & I haven't had the opportunity to test it flat stick

I do have my suspicions that the motor height needs adjusting & or that it is incorrectly propped ....... I notice that it is trim sensitive & that the motor needs to be trimmed down or it porpoises . There is a lot of weight in the back (two blokes , two batteries) & as the MK batteries are LiFePO$ - there isn't a lot of weight to balance it out . I'll get to check this out on flat water next week .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

You may need to make a wedge up for your motor bracket if lifting it up don’t help have fun it’s a good looking setup.

Hi Chris, So is she all finished now or more mods to do...

If you had it over would you still buy a Hornet hull..?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Hi Chris, So is she all finished now or more mods to do...

If you had it over would you still buy a Hornet hull..?
    I haven't done anything more to it .....

I raised the motor 1 hole which did bugger all . I reckon I can lift in other . It's just a big ass heavy motor . Ideally a newer 75 or the lightweight 70 yammi would really push this boat along nicely.

The Hornet hull is a superb boat to fish out of (stable)........ casting lures . Being a 480 it's plenty big too ....... In a river / flat water situation - lake it's a fine boat & it's why I bought my second 480 Hornet.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO