Thread: Your Combo Unit

Your Combo Unit

What do you own and what do you like about it that makes it worthy of ownership ??..Userfriendly , Detail in what your veiwing , Sidescan , Downscan etc ???..
    Looking to upgrade but cannot justify doing so as this Hummingbird 999 i have on the dash still does its thing though not so user friendly as the Garmin or Lowrance ive owned in the past..
    Will buy another unit sooner than later im sure as the old saying that sez "PLAY AROUND SLIPPERY BANKS AND EVENTUALLY YOU WILL FALL IN " lol.
    Sorry for the upercase letters there , eyesight has been playing up ..Not to mention "Attention " .
    Reason for previose post of "Sternpads " i asked about as will need to mount transduce other end of stern where there is no Taransducer Mount .
    I am leaning moreso towards a 12" Lowrance though Garmin is only a shytehair behind in favour..
    See how i go ..

Re: Your Combo Unit

The boat was recently sold but I had Installed 2 x gpsmap 8410 and 1x 8412
    amazing clarity ease of use and range of function

Tbh it all depends on what map brand you like better as the Garmin mapping wasn’t as flash as the ones lowrance were using
    I had to Use two different maps one for inland and one for the coast

Do you run a leccy a MK links to Hummingbird, Motorguide to Lowrance/Simrad. I recently retired and old Garmin 750S with a Lowrance HDS so that I could utilise this feature.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

I'm not impressed with my Solix 12 G2 for reliability.....loses touchscreen regularly....reset to factory defaults to get it back then change the settings to metric.....pain in the ring.
    Imaging is good though.

Will be going back to Garmin when i lose my block with the Solix.

Word is the Helix and the Onix are both in the same category with issues.

Had a look at the Raymarine a few weeks ago.....imaging is not as good as the Humminbirds......Garmin is closer to the birds.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I'm not impressed with my Solix 12 G2 for reliability.....loses touchscreen regularly....reset to factory defaults to get it back then change the settings to metric.....pain in the ring.
    Imaging is good though.

Will be going back to Garmin when i lose my block with the Solix.

Word is the Helix and the Onix are both in the same category with issues.

Had a look at the Raymarine a few weeks ago.....imaging is not as good as the Humminbirds......Garmin is closer to the birds.
    I dipped my toe in the humminbird pond ..... once - bought a 998 SI ....... Waste of space particularly with those stupid connections that they use .
    Yes there 360 & SI are great ....... but I've spoken to others & they all pretty well mentioned they have issues .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

No More Hummingbird for me i can tellya , detail might be good but really not user friendly which is what i am after .
    Think it will be a garmin or Lowrance next up..

The trouble is you just learn your sounder and the when it dies the newer ones have improved and the head of the company has moved on and the next CEO wants to change everything to show he’s made improvements I’m still take the manual out with me because I’ve forgotten how to do things because I’m not getting out as much as I use too.

I have had Garmin 2 x 7inch screens then upgraded to a 16inch screen And would much prefer over Lowrance previous boat/hummingbird on mates extreme 540.
    There side scan is great and ease of use is effortless. mapping is good as well.
    I personally believe the 2 best units are Simrad and Garmin For best user integration I have a Simrad 16inch on the new boat and love it so far. Furuno I feel you need to spend a lot of time on to maximize it.

Just Personal Preference Don't hate me
    happy days ahead summer is coming

Ausfish Platinum Member

I like the Raymarine Axion Pro units--more so than the regular Axiom, which is touchscreen only. Personally I find pure touchscreen on a rolling pitching boat, with wet fingers, just a huge PITA.I have 2, one of each. The Hybrid Touch, where you have both configurable buttons, a knob, AND touchscreen, as pretty near ideal. The whole Raymarine eco sysyem, if you want to call it that, is very good.

Furuno tzt3 touch 16 inch... will never look back.... EVER

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Furuno tzt3 touch 16 inch... will never look back.... EVER
    At $8k plus tranny I wouldn't look at replacing it in the foreseeable future either. If I was a commercial operator, needed but for recreational anglers way beyond my pay packet.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell