Thread: Oh yeah, the reds are getting bigger!

Oh yeah, the reds are getting bigger!

Wind’s howling this week so a chance to post up last weekends trip report.

Departed the ramp at 4 am and headed 65 km to see if we could beat the sharks this time. Slowed up a few hundred metres from the mark and idled in to run over a big show about 200 m out from the main mark. Fish on from the first drift and no sharks! Unfortunately one of the reds turned into a dirty big cod for the young bloke who took it pretty well. A lot better than I did anyway! Bite was pretty slow through the middle of the day but everyone ended up with a PB red. Moved up over the shoals as the tide dropped out but nothing happening. Only the one shark but had to drag it all the way to the boat and cut it off. The weather just got better and it was a very smooth fast run home. Bloody hot though with no breeze. With summer here now that’s probably it for another year but we can live in hope!

Cheers
    Craig

Re: Oh yeah, the reds are getting bigger!

Bout time ya lazy bugga..

That nanny is an absolute beast..

Why were you so upset about the cod.?.I bought home a nice one from Hinchinbrook 2 weeks back....it was delicious..betta then barra for sure...

and yeah when there is no breeze its damned hot out there..we just camped on the boat and had the fans absolutely blasting to try and cool us down...

Well done mate..the young fella looks like he had a ripper of a time..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Bout time ya lazy bugga..

That nanny is an absolute beast..

Why were you so upset about the cod.?.I bought home a nice one from Hinchinbrook 2 weeks back....it was delicious..betta then barra for sure...

and yeah when there is no breeze its damned hot out there..we just camped on the boat and had the fans absolutely blasting to try and cool us down...

Well done mate..the young fella looks like he had a ripper of a time..
    Because I'm spoilt
    They eat alright but they take up heaps of room in the esky and are slimy snotty bloody things that inhabit rarely fished red marks and aren't red! Better than barra isn't hard either is it!

The nanny went 8.5 kg!

The young bloke badly wants his first legal red. Mongrel cod didn't help there either!

Quote Originally Posted by CT View Post
    Because I'm spoilt
    They eat alright but they take up heaps of room in the esky and are slimy snotty bloody things that inhabit rarely fished red marks and aren't red! Better than barra isn't hard either is it!

The nanny went 8.5 kg!

The young bloke badly wants his first legal red. Mongrel cod didn't help there either!
    If you leave the cod on ice for a week the slime disappears according to my mate, I still will fillet straight away. If I take a cod I always have a hessian sack on board and throw them in that, helps keep the slime away from other fish and seems to reduce the amount they want to keep producing but have pressure clean the sack afterwards.
    Great family trip, wish I could get conditions like that down here.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell