Thread: Trophy thoughts

Trophy thoughts

Hi there

Been given the green light by the boss to invest a new to us boat.

Traditionally been in a sub 4 metre range creek boat so this is a big step and looking for thoughts on our options from others.

Main thing is we will be in Sydney Harbour, Of the heads of Sydney and Botany Bay and possibly creeks of some description so not looking to go to far over the 5.5 metre mark in size.

Looking for something that I can also anti-foul and keep on a mooring as parking boats in Sydney is not fun these days but would also like to take it out periodically and trailer it to other locations.

It will mostly be two up fishing and cruising and have narrowed it down to the following I like the low backs of these ones for lifting crab pots.

1) Trophy 1952 walk around in board diesel
    2) Tournament cuddy cab
    3) Arvor in board diesel

Any pros or cons to the above boats from the great minds would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Trophy thoughts

The 1905 Trophy is a big boat for a creek, fine for everywhere else you mention, personally I would give the stern drive a real big miss. Trophy are a mid tier built boat, after about early 2000 should contain no timber in the construction. The Arvor is a way different boat to the ones mentioned, they go OK though. Not too sure what model the Tournement is, there's lots of boats loosely fitting under that name.

The Mercruiser 120hp diesel 1.7L is generally one to avoid. Potentially a money pit. Do some very thorough research to know what you are potentially getting yourself into before going anywhere near it.

The arvor shaft drive diesel seems to be a common ish boat to keep on a mooring, from what I have seen in the Greater Sydney area. If putting out and retrieving crab pots is your thing, then the lower manoeuvrability and deeper draft might not suit as well as an outboard powered boat?

I don’t want to be a downer. But I think finding one boat that fit all your criteria and do it well will be extremely daunting and possibly impossible. If you’ve got mates that have small tinnies you could possibly ditch that part of your criteria and focus on a harbour/offshore boat that’s a bit more capable and go crabbing with ya mates in their tinnies.

what will your tow vehicle be?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I agree with Lovey - none of the boats mentioned would be an ideal creek boat & would you really want crab pots bashing into your new gel coat..

Where in Sydney (mooring)?

What type of fishing do you want to do ?

Other destinations ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

The one we are looking at has a new 250hp mercruiser and is already anti-fouled and moored.

In terms of location usually Sydney harbour and botany.

Tow vehicle is an older model Pathfinder capacity is 3T but 2.5 is the max it’s happy with based on previously towing vans. Likely will only tow it 3 or 4 times a year and rest will be moored.

In terms of travelling would be up Brunswick, Ballina, Lucinda / Townsville area so reefs and some limited creek.

The trophy is a bit smaller than the others but yes agree it’s a bit big for the creeks but I am going with what we would mostly be using it for which is crushing / fishing harbour or bays and some river / creek.

Could go a cuddy cab design Tournament 1800 second hand or a new Revival 525 with an outboard to but prefer the Avror or Trophy considering it woo be moored.

Avoid stern drives at all costs if mooring. Too many moving parts to get fouled up. I also believe corrosion is an issue when moored.

Rather than a mooring - which I'm assuming will be a swing mooring (any mooring in Sydney Hbr will be expensive ) Can you use a storage facility ?

I know they dont come cheap either but if you consider the time & cost of antifouling every year .... the need for a tender (if on a swing mooring) plus your desire to travel ...... it doesn't make sense as you'll still have to have the trailer parked or stored somewhere . Better off storing the boat on the trailer IMO.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was going to suggest the same thing, all things considered, storage on a trailer would be way cheaper, and so much more convenient. Not too sure I would be thrilled at the idea of towing a 1902 Trophy to Ballina from Sydney with a Pathfinder though.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I was going to suggest the same thing, all things considered, storage on a trailer would be way cheaper, and so much more convenient. Not too sure I would be thrilled at the idea of towing a 1902 Trophy to Ballina from Sydney with a Pathfinder though.
    I re read the initial post it just didn't gel ...... particularly when there is a desire to tow the boat up north .. ( so where was the trailer going to live for most of the year ) .

Having the boat on a trailer gives so much more flexibility .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have parking for the trailer sorted but it’s a bit of a drive from home so was only going to get and use the trailer when absolutely required which is maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Parking a bmt in my area is a nightmare!!!

Previous boat which was much smaller I copped a fair bit of abuse (written and verbal) and it was not a pleasant experience and took all the fun out of owning even a small boat.

The fact is I would only go for a boat if it was moored now so happy to pay the fee associated.

Personal circumstances aside seems to be a lot of dislike for inboards is that because of expense of service and access and or room or is it other things? Most of the boats moored are inboard unless I am missing something.

What about the quality of Trophy’s themselves any comments on them? Is it the fact of its size / weight or just that it has an inboard?

Anyone got alternatives they would like to throw out there?

Quote Originally Posted by dadstinny View Post
    I have parking for the trailer sorted but it’s a bit of a drive from home so was only going to get and use the trailer when absolutely required which is maybe 3 or 4 times a year.

Parking a bmt in my area is a nightmare!!!

Previous boat which was much smaller I copped a fair bit of abuse (written and verbal) and it was not a pleasant experience and took all the fun out of owning even a small boat.

The fact is I would only go for a boat if it was moored now so happy to pay the fee associated.

Personal circumstances aside seems to be a lot of dislike for inboards is that because of expense of service and access and or room or is it other things? Most of the boats moored are inboard unless I am missing something.

What about the quality of Trophy’s themselves any comments on them? Is it the fact of its size / weight or just that it has an inboard?

Anyone got alternatives they would like to throw out there?
    What about using a storage yard / facility ? ....... seriously worth checking out the cost & comparing it to a mooring & the cost of antifouling .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The arvor and the trophy are both seaworthy boats. I feel the arvor rocks more when stationery. Shaft drive is better than inboard outboard for maintenance. If on a swing mooring , an outboard that you can lift out of the water is better. The less holes in the boat the better when it's lonesome on the water. Also self draining deck would be a must with back up bilge pumps etc.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks

I am down tot the trophy and the arvor

I have noticed the arvor rocks more at rest.

Checking out a trophy on the weekend and will decide.

Attachment 126266

Just rounding back.

There wasn’t much love for the Trophy but we got one in the end, it comes with a near new Mercruiser 250hp and she is anti fouled as well ready for our mooring on Sydney Harbour which we have now as well!

Its also just under the magic number of 2.5m beam width so we can tow it without needing a wide load setup.

The arvor was very nice but is over 2.5m so legally needs a wide load setup when towing, although I feel like a few people seem to ignore this for this and other boats.

Also found a place we can hire a trailer rather than have to worry about having my own and booked a few spots to hire it over the next 6 months!

I know the inboard is not for everyone but I quite like have everything hidden away while under way and she has some get up go.