Thread: Anchor rope length?

Anchor rope length?

I've just picked up my new boat (Bar Crusher 615BR) and it came with 50m of anchor rope. I'll mainly be using it in Moreton Bay for a combination of fishing and leisure. Will occasionally go offshore but wouldn't expect to anchor.

I'm wondering if 50m of rope is enough for the bay? I know Moreton Bay isn't very deep but even if I want to anchor in 20m of water 50m of rope just doesn't seem enough.

Any recommendations on how much I should have?

Re: Anchor rope length?

That's being cheap of them, 100m is bugger all cost, how much chain they giving you. I would expect 8m of chain, generally the amount of rope you need is 3 tines the depth generally although in good conditions you can get away with less but you also need more if the conditions worsen.

Yeah I didn't think to check before I took delivery. Oh well. I agree, I'll grab a 100m of rope.

Splice the 2 together and you'll have 150m which is better.

Ausfish Platinum Member

The accepted rule of thumb is depth x 3 for length of rode. But this will vary according to strength of wind/tide, type of bottom and efficiency of anchor design for that type of botttom. Use plenty of chain, 8m of 6mm for that boat, or more, and as Dignity says, splice 100m onto 50m.

Now, of course , you will need to store it somewhere on board.

You'll never need 50m inside the bay if you have the right amount of chain.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    You'll never need 50m inside the bay if you have the right amount of chain.
    He does mention offshore trips and in most cases not needed. Having more is definitely safer, caught in a storms I've had to extend the 3x depth to 5x depth to stop anchor dragging, both times storms were not forecast.
    These days the space allowed for anchor gear e.g. 8m of short link takes up most of the space so it becomes a balancing act.

Edit: Moreton Bay extends from top of Moreton Island to Kings Beach headland, plenty of water there that is 65 - 90m in depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    He does mention offshore trips and in most cases not needed. Having more is definitely safer, caught in a storms I've had to extend the 3x depth to 5x depth to stop anchor dragging, both times storms were not forecast.
    These days the space allowed for anchor gear e.g. 8m of short link takes up most of the space so it becomes a balancing act.

Edit: Moreton Bay extends from top of Moreton Island to Kings Beach headland, plenty of water there that is 65 - 90m in depth.
    Beat me to it Dig and worthy of remembering. Ive been caught in GOOD Storms mostly offshore in both deep and shallow water and patted myself on the back each and every time for not only having long lengths of Rope , anchor n Chain but extra of exch at times i layed out two anchors just to be on the safer side.
    pain in the butt carrying , laying out and and re gathering but after an event you realise what a safe backup is all about ..

Yep Volvo, been caught inshore inside South Straddie a few times in storms and needed a fair amount of chain and rode in 5m of water. Remember ond doozy that went through, it dragged boats, mostly house boats,flipped the sea plane at Southport plus lots of damage sth parts of brisbane etc. It's that one occasion you need it that counts.

And based on 50m of rode for a 6m plus boat I'm wondering what size anchor andoland got, usually the boat yards go for the smallest, cheapest they can get away with. I use a Mooloolaba Pick and 9lb is recommended formy size boat and it will hold but the 16lb one is so much better.

Remember riding out not only a Storm but huge Seas that tagged along with it anchored on the top "Johnsons Patch" west of Nth West Island one particular trip.
    Not tagged as Johnsons Patch but we refer to it as such.
    Comes up from quite deep to 11/13 mtrs and we used to anchor on it fish for Lipper , Trout , mackeral etc one day and uplift anchor and move to Douglas Shoal , Haberfield etc next day .
    Glassed out first day we went and that night we dropped pick on abovementioned spot and early evening could see the lightening n wee bit of thunder rolling in from the South West so decided then and there to uplift anchor drive a tad shallower and drop two
    anchors instead of one and just as well we did lol !!.
    Cant remember how many hour it took the storm to get to us as we were hoping it would head north n leave us alone ??, but not when this little Vegymite is concerned when it comes to Storms its like Flies attracted to Shyte!!.
    We/I get the worst of it.. Tried napping and woke to the Boat first being tossed about , Lights from a Ship which appeared to be heading for us and knew if it did it would run aground in the process lol , hoping it wouldnt be ontop of us ..
    Got up for a lookaround when the Storm hit!! Large drops of Water , Wind and Lightening lighting up the sky ..
    Beutifull as it was to behold i was still doing the Cross thingy over my chest in the hope those anchors held !!..
    Which they did thank feck..
    These Storms we get up here come Summer can be quite Beutifull to behold out on he briney especially of a night time , but they still dont stop the ole poofle valve from quiverring to the point of becomming a laxative that one definetly needs a good shyte after the process has passed .
    Trouble is one never learns when young and still heads out again doing overnighters out there during storm seasons , though not now at my age as the ole Poofle Valve would collapse under the stress during such an event quite sure of it ..
    So its mostly inside fishing now ..

So ALWAYS carried extra Anchors n Rope when heading offshore . And still carry an extra anchor and length of chain now in the Harbour and has come in handy quite a few times with Missus onboard as she freaks out when an anchor digs in and doesnt want to let go so have to do the cut thingy and splice and rejoin later ..

And go 10mil rope 8mil will hurt after pulling in 100 mts without a winch.

Yep, I'm going with 10mm for that exact reason.

On a different note, I find that the only way I can reply to threads (or start a thread) is using Microsoft Edge browser on my PC. If I use chrome on my PC or ipad or use safari I can't reply or create new threads. It brings up the text box but I can't type anything.

Quote Originally Posted by andoland View Post
    Yep, I'm going with 10mm for that exact reason.

On a different note, I find that the only way I can reply to threads (or start a thread) is using Microsoft Edge browser on my PC. If I use chrome on my PC or ipad or use safari I can't reply or create new threads. It brings up the text box but I can't type anything.
    Happens with my Tablet ??.

For ipad go to bottom lh of screen and select style/color selector and choose ipad, maybe that will help.