Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Props .Help

Re: Props .Help

Had my Son , Daughter IN Law , Missus , n Grandaughter out fer a few hours yesterday and with five of us onboard and not in the lean side of weight lol the Seajay kinda argued getting on the plane in too much of a hurry but when she did she purred along n wish i thought of having put the four blader on for the outing.
    But fuel consumption didnt alter all that much including speed , just took a tad longer .
    The 15P might even have been a better idea rather than the 17 but they dont get up here all that often so went with what was onboard..
    Given over 130 ltrs of fuel , us , etc onboard little girl didnt do too bad ey..

Ive just read this post again as I am going throught the same thing again but this time with bigger motors after an upgrade to twin 90's.

I appreciate the fact that the comments in the forum are still here and still relevant.
    I tried the Suzuki 13.75 x 17 3 blade . I got good speed but quite a bit of slip. I was a little disappointed with the fuel use so have come back in pitch with a little increase in diameter in stainless. Lets see how they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    Ive just read this post again as I am going throught the same thing again but this time with bigger motors after an upgrade to twin 90's.

I appreciate the fact that the comments in the forum are still here and still relevant.
    I tried the Suzuki 13.75 x 17 3 blade . I got good speed but quite a bit of slip. I was a little disappointed with the fuel use so have come back in pitch with a little increase in diameter in stainless. Lets see how they do.
    Prop selection is definitely an art that very few have down pat. It really is get as many as you can get hold of and test them all. I guess the problem is when you have twin motors getting enough test props gets that much harder.
    One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by robothefisho View Post
    The genuine suzuki props have lots of cup and grip. The stainless genuine are a bit better than the alloy ones. After mucking around with 5 boats with suzukis and countless genuine and after market props I always find the best performance with genuine stainless steel props. I believe this is because of Suzuki's higher gear ratios than other brands. The genuine props are designed for this slower rotation.

Thanks Robo, i definately learned that with the 70's after 5 different 4 and 3 blade versions I found none performed better than the Suzuki Aluminium props.
    Ive tried the 17 inch 3 blade Suzukis but they are not quite giving me what I expected so Im trying some slightly larger diameter props to reduce slip but going down in size by 1 inch of pitch to compensate. Hoping for a little more drive and lift from the Powertech Stainless>

Time will tell.

Well that didnt work. It seems a 13.750 x 17 aluminium prop performs better than a 14 x 16 stainless prop. Speed down and revs up across the rev range and the engines seem to roar more. Its a totally different noise.
    Advice is to try a different design of prop in 13.5 x 17 SS.

time will tell but between you and I, im not confident.

What revs are the 17s turning. You want to be up near 6300 lightly loaded.

The suzuki stainless would be 14 by 18p if it will turn it. Another good option could be mercury trophy plus 17 pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by robothefisho View Post
    What revs are the 17s turning. You want to be up near 6300 lightly loaded.

The suzuki stainless would be 14 by 18p if it will turn it. Another good option could be mercury trophy plus 17 pitch.
    My dealer doesnt have any in stock. Ill be trying a 13.5 x 18 and 19 after lifting the engine one hole.
    I thin I am running a little deep for these props as I did a full lock turn at 20 knots and didnt lose grip one little bit. I can also tilt all the way to the tilt without blowing out. I like the grip but Ill be losing efficency.