Thread: Guthrie

Guthrie

Hi all I have been fishing out East of Douglas Schoals lately it's been a hard slog with no marks but slowly getting there
    Found a decent one the first trip but only managed the one good Goldban who went 80 and 3 good trout between 60-70 and a few other reefies
    Second trip was totally dead hard fish on the neap but managed to find a good spike on the sounder while I was heading to a mark from the day before went back for a look pulled 5 reds off it only 3 keepers in them then the tax man found me
    Headed out the other day at 5am on the full moon solo again as usual was going to overnight at North West but the forecast was not great for the next morning when i woke up so thought I would just do a day trip but I was loaded for a overnighter (110 km out to my first mark)
    Second drop on the slow pitch nailed by a good amberjack between 90-100 cm
    And that's how the day went crazy session on big tides
    3 Ajs biggest 105 cm
    4 chinaman 85-99cm never caught one before in my life
    3 reds 72-77cm only 1 on the jig other 2 where on slab baits on the afternoon tide change because I was to worn out from using the jigging setup and the tide was running to hard so I had to drop 24 Oz leads to hold bottom
    Kept a couple of maori cod also then thought I would camp at North West and head back home at sparrow fart bad move blowing 25knots at Heron at around 6 am slogged through a short head sea with the odd 2m set hidden in it for 40 odd k before it backed off hell of a fun trip hopefully next time I can find a decky to put through some pain Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot008.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	126116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot005.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	126117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220912_105325_342.jpeg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	126118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GH010028_1662935174664.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	126119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GH010021_1662937618005.jpeg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	126120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220912_122604_782.jpeg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	126121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220911_153031.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	126122

Sent from my SM-G991B using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Guthrie

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Hi all I have been fishing out East of Douglas Schoals lately it's been a hard slog with no marks but slowly getting there
    Found a decent one the first trip but only managed the one good Goldban who went 80 and 3 good trout between 60-70 and a few other reefies
    Second trip was totally dead hard fish on the neap but managed to find a good spike on the sounder while I was heading to a mark from the day before went back for a look pulled 5 reds off it only 3 keepers in them then the tax man found me
    Headed out the other day at 5am on the full moon solo again as usual was going to overnight at North West but the forecast was not great for the next morning when i woke up so thought I would just do a day trip but I was loaded for a overnighter (110 km out to my first mark)
    Second drop on the slow pitch nailed by a good amberjack between 90-100 cm
    And that's how the day went crazy session on big tides
    3 Ajs biggest 105 cm
    4 chinaman 85-99cm never caught one before in my life
    3 reds 72-77cm only 1 on the jig other 2 where on slab baits on the afternoon tide change because I was to worn out from using the jigging setup and the tide was running to hard so I had to drop 24 Oz leads to hold bottom
    Kept a couple of maori cod also then thought I would camp at North West and head back home at sparrow fart bad move blowing 25knots at Heron at around 6 am slogged through a short head sea with the odd 2m set hidden in it for 40 odd k before it backed off hell of a fun trip hopefully next time I can find a decky to put through some pain Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot008.jpg 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	126116Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot005.jpg 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	126117Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220912_105325_342.jpeg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	126118Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GH010028_1662935174664.jpg 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	126119Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GH010021_1662937618005.jpeg 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	126120Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220912_122604_782.jpeg 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	126121Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220911_153031.jpg 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	126122

Sounds like a breeze of a trip compared to some I've been on happy to crew with you. Haven't fished NW since early 90's when we used to camp on it for couple of weeks or so.

Last I remember you were domiciled a little further south.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Sounds like a breeze of a trip compared to some I've been on happy to crew with you. Haven't fished NW since early 90's when we used to camp on it for couple of weeks or so.

Last I remember you were domiciled a little further south.
    Hi Sam it's always random with me when I go back home on break it's normally around a half decent weather window as usual I will give you a call in the next day or two

Nice report..

Sounds like an interesting trip mate...something kind of exhilarating about bashing through a 25 knot head sea isnt there.....apart from the backpain I mean...

and welcome to the heartbreaking world of Monster Reds turning into Chinamans just before they hit the surface....

I used to do overnight solo trips as well but these days I find it it a bit safer and easier to have the missus or a deckie onboard out that wide..must be getting soft or old or both..

Are you drifting or anchoring or spotlocking..?

You must have some good stamina to be bringing up all those beasts while jigging or using that much lead.....I have found Alvey deck winchs not as much fun but definately easier and more chance of boating the Reds when the sharks are about..

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Nice report..

Sounds like an interesting trip mate...something kind of exhilarating about bashing through a 25 knot head sea isnt there.....apart from the backpain I mean...

and welcome to the heartbreaking world of Monster Reds turning into Chinamans just before they hit the surface....

I used to do overnight solo trips as well but these days I find it it a bit safer and easier to have the missus or a deckie onboard out that wide..must be getting soft or old or both..

Are you drifting or anchoring or spotlocking..?

You must have some good stamina to be bringing up all those beasts while jigging or using that much lead.....I have found Alvey deck winchs not as much fun but definately easier and more chance of boating the Reds when the sharks are about..
    Yes I was feeling it after the first hour but the run on the middle of the tide got a bit fast and they shut down a bit so went searching for a couple of hours then into them again it's a lot easier in that depth though compared to where I normally fish down at Sykes in the 70-100 metre range
    Just drifting with a sea anchor

Good stuff! What boat?