Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Daiwa leaving Shimano behind

Daiwa leaving Shimano behind

When it comes to marketing and targeting the right audience I think it’s fair to say Daiwa is miles ahead of Shimano at the moment. Daiwa is very smartly sponsoring a lot of the fishing YouTubers, knowing a lot of kids watch. The AFTA show was held on the Gold Coast this weekend and vey wisely Daiwa had some of those YouTubers at their stand giving away free gear to the kids. No kids left empty handed. My 14 year old son and all his mates who are all fishing mad only want Daiwa gear. It has the extra bling (blue, orange, red rods and reels) plus they watch the YouTubers using it all the time. Very smart, very simple.

Re: Daiwa leaving Shimano behind

Very cheap advertising when you think of it ....... hand a popular you tuber a few grands worth of gear & bingo ...... the content generated by the Youtuber is free & each video gets out to 10's of thousands of viewers ...... 100s of thousands in some cases time & time again .

Personally I think it clouds peoples judgement ....... very much like what ETEC did to the outboard market after they pretty well sponsored every man & their dog since it's introduction .

I still like to see someone put their own cash down on a product & give an honest opinion .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Alan Hawk does decent reel reviews for anyone interested.

https://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/reviews.html
    Matilda

Ausfish Platinum Member

Agree with Chris on this one. I watched a few of the 'infamous' You Tubers, but when they started getting sponsorship, they become boring to me. I still watch quite a few You Tubers, but more of the ones that are starting out, or happy to keep it as a 'hobby', as they buy their own gear and give honest feedback on it.
    But yes Billy C, you're right, it is a very smart marketing ploy by them which seems to be working well.
    Cheers
    Corry

It was the Honda F1 engineers that changed Daiwa’s reels with the digi gear some of them did bass fishing in the off season and said to Daiwa that they could make there reels better and they did and moved them into the future of reel development to we’re we are today .

Why can’t they make a top end bait runner!,!,!,!,!,
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Why can’t they make a top end bait runner!,!,!,!,!,
    The one they are offering reminds me of the old Silstar bait runner and only in a larger size for $270 or there about , i changed over to Daiwa reels years ago and all are still great after having used shimano gear for ages previously. Matt

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collecti...ree-swimmer-br
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    The one they are offering reminds me of the old Silstar bait runner and only in a larger size for $270 or there about , i changed over to Daiwa reels years ago and all are still great after having used shimano gear for ages previously. Matt

https://daiwafishing.com.au/collecti...ree-swimmer-br
    Being a baitrunner fan

I'm keen to have a look at these ..... but yet to see one in a shop .

They read well as far as the technology goes but they are still a pretty cheap reel by Daiwa standards

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It's just occurred to me ...... fishing tackle sales are being driven by "Influencers" - worst of all most of these "Influencers" are pretty average fishoes . How times have changed .

I mean Rex Hunt did a lot for fishing (& Shimano)..... but he was just a celebrity ex footballer & commentator who fished - He knew his limitations & that's why he employed the likes of Starlo & Bushy .

Today - As long as you look good on camera with a bit of personality - have a hot chick on deck & put out content ..... you'll be right .

I watched a video that Johnny Brooks put out the other day ...... where he missed a fish & threw his outfit in the water . What a knob but I reckon this was done for content .

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I watched a video that Johnny Brooks put out the other day ...... where he missed a fish & threw his outfit in the water . What a knob but I reckon this was done for content .

Bit of a dik that bloke...

Had a similar experience on the weekend..

Fella and his 2 kids next to us on the mackeral grounds was letting his Spotties run like crazy with his drags too loose..

I tried to untangle one fish from our anchor line for him but the fish snapped off..

When leaving I pulled up the anchor with the retrevier and had line tangled all around the rope and then felt some weight so pulled in like 50m of line and found a rod and reel attached to it...

Was a sub $100 outfit..shame it wasnt a stella...

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It's just occurred to me ...... fishing tackle sales are being driven by "Influencers" - worst of all most of these "Influencers" are pretty average fishoes . How times have changed .

I mean Rex Hunt did a lot for fishing (& Shimano)..... but he was just a celebrity ex footballer & commentator who fished - He knew his limitations & that's why he employed the likes of Starlo & Bushy .

Today - As long as you look good on camera with a bit of personality - have a hot chick on deck & put out content ..... you'll be right .

Broosky has changed a lot since he got sponsorship, it really does show in his content. The original material they put out under the morning tide channel was far better and far more genuine. I still follow Cavy and Brigsy. Even Cavy has his content more tuned for youtube but hey these guys make a full time living off this , sponsorships, merchandise and lures,.so you cant really knock them for it. I buy Daiwa reels because I had one as a kid and these days their Japanese made reels are awesome. I also have a stella which gets very very little use not because its a bad reel but I am yet to pair my 4000 with a rod it deserves. I use Certates on everything in rotation. Such a great reel and I bought the first one by luck and the others because the first one ( 2500XH) is so damned good.

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    Broosky has changed a lot since he got sponsorship, it really does show in his content. The original material they put out under the morning tide channel was far better and far more genuine. I still follow Cavy and Brigsy. Even Cavy has his content more tuned for youtube but hey these guys make a full time living off this , sponsorships, merchandise and lures,.so you cant really knock them for it. I buy Daiwa reels because I had one as a kid and these days their Japanese made reels are awesome. I also have a stella which gets very very little use not because its a bad reel but I am yet to pair my 4000 with a rod it deserves. I use Certates on everything in rotation. Such a great reel and I bought the first one by luck and the others because the first one ( 2500XH) is so damned good.
    I agree with the whole Brooksy thing ....... Was great as part of a threesome but he clearly had stars in his eyes . Once he realised he could do this for a living & go solo .... it quickly progressed into something less genuine . ....... very much like what we are now seeing with Back to Basics - its just about content .
    Pelagic pursuit ....... another one that has become pretty boring to the point where I rarely can watch the video through .

Been a Daiwa fan boy ..... for decades but really more so since the the introduction of the Certates in the early / mid 2000s & the Zillions around the same time . ...... I still have & use a few of those reels - I've been lucky to go along for the ride . I'd hate to calculate how much I've spent on Daiwa reels , rods , braid over the years .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Generally I think of the Daiwa reels as lighter, more refined, lower tolerances. However this also equates to more maintenance to keep them going. Most of the Shimano reels are both tougher and more serviceable. When i say tougher I mean tolerate more abuse.
    I’ve had mostly Daiwa reels but have migrated back to Shimano as magseal has taken hold. Still have a few of the Real4 generation Daiwa Certate and they’re still amongst the favourites. Keep replacing bearings and drags and they keep performing, brilliant reels, interchangeable parts across the range. The newer Certates don’t take the same abuse and need to be serviced more often. But while they’re running well they’re nicer to use than the Shimanos, in my hands at least.
    Much of my Barra/thready fishing now is a mixture of Certates and Stradics, and Shimano baitcasters. If you’re looking for a workhorse reel then you need a pretty good reason to go past the 2020 model Saragosa. Can’t kill those things.

I read a while back that Daiwa service times were many months wait and this is something that concerned me as a clumsy angler. Well clumsy anyway, A couple of weeks back and right after landing a 46cm bream, i tripped in the boat and my beloeved Daiwa Certate 2500XH/Samurai combo went overboard and was submerged for around 10 minutes. Long story short, I got it back and it was pretty clear two weeks later it needed to be sent in for a service.

Going to the Daiwa website, it was easy to fill out the form and submit the request, upload my receipt and then have the reel posted into them. Two days later I got a call ( last Thursday). The tech explained that warranty does not cover reels submerged. I told him what happened and the story that goes with it. Lets be honest here, 46cm bream do not grow on trees , they hide under them

Every big fish I have caught has been with that reel, its my favourite by far for this reason. He further said the bail arm was bent and it would need new bearings through out, then quoted me 280$. I said it is what it is and agreed to the costs. Ouch right?

Well fast forward to today and someone in the office gave me a small package, I opened it up and there is my beloved Certate LT 2500XH neatly packed in a box. The bent bail arm was in there as was a bag filled with what I assume is the old bearings ( theres is far more than I expected). The reel had been fully serviced, new bail arm and it came packaged with an invoice showing all the parts replaced and the value for each. At the bottom is had a sub total of $0.00.

You read it right, they didn't charge me at all.

Not sure how you guys see that but to me that is good old fashioned customer service and turn around from the time it left my hands to the time it came back in 5 business days. Reel is only 5 months old by the way.

#daiwa

20220806_150220.jpg

in before someone calls BS on the bream I caught.

Quote Originally Posted by steve099 View Post
    I read a while back that Daiwa service times were many months wait and this is something that concerned me as a clumsy angler. Well clumsy anyway, A couple of weeks back and right after landing a 46cm bream, i tripped in the boat and my beloeved Daiwa Certate 2500XH/Samurai combo went overboard and was submerged for around 10 minutes. Long story short, I got it back and it was pretty clear two weeks later it needed to be sent in for a service.

Going to the Daiwa website, it was easy to fill out the form and submit the request, upload my receipt and then have the reel posted into them. Two days later I got a call ( last Thursday). The tech explained that warranty does not cover reels submerged. I told him what happened and the story that goes with it. Lets be honest here, 46cm bream do not grow on trees , they hide under them

Every big fish I have caught has been with that reel, its my favourite by far for this reason. He further said the bail arm was bent and it would need new bearings through out, then quoted me 280$. I said it is what it is and agreed to the costs. Ouch right?

Well fast forward to today and someone in the office gave me a small package, I opened it up and there is my beloved Certate LT 2500XH neatly packed in a box. The bent bail arm was in there as was a bag filled with what I assume is the old bearings ( theres is far more than I expected). The reel had been fully serviced, new bail arm and it came packaged with an invoice showing all the parts replaced and the value for each. At the bottom is had a sub total of $0.00.

You read it right, they didn't charge me at all.

Not sure how you guys see that but to me that is good old fashioned customer service and turn around from the time it left my hands to the time it came back in 5 business days. Reel is only 5 months old by the way.

#daiwa

20220806_150220.jpg

in before someone calls BS on the bream I caught.

That's a great result ...... hat's off to Daiwa

As far as repair / service lead times go - Daiwa are generally longer .......weeks but not months & it just depends on their work load .

My recent experience with Shimano ( repair on a Thunnus) was just as positive . ..... had the reel back in 1 week & no charge.

In reality no one should expect a 1 week turnaround ..... 2-3 weeks would be fair in my opinion. The other thing is the age & type of reel - carrying spare parts for a 10 year old reel shouldn't be expected ..... but people do

BTw ..... nice bream

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO