Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VHF Static

Re: VHF Static

Finally got out to test the vhf reception, all good.
    After taking advice from this thread and speaking to a tech at gme the best option was get it high, now its mounted on top of rod rack and yes there was some pissing about.
    Thanks to all for your guidance, Mark

Re: VHF Static

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    I am gathering from you reference to the 27mhz old base being " too hard to remove" that you have utilised that for your new setup? Moisture works it's way into those cables on a boat, as it does on any cable on a boat, and it corrodes from within. This will cause a high impedance, and attenuate signal, which would explain the boats nearby being easy to pick up, and the coast-based station being weak. I think you just need to get that old base out, and replace with a new one.
    this is a little bit confusing to me. Assuming that we are talking about a repeater (duplex) channel?. Then isn’t the RX transmission from the boat 2km away, likely to be coming from the same repeater as the coast based transmissions? In this case I’d expect that the coast based transmission to be better on the whole as they are likely to get a stronger transmission between their antenna and the repeater than the boat offshore would (all else being equal as far as antenna length and power output of the radios themselves of course).

if we are talking about a basic simplex transmission then this makes sense and please disregard.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.