Thread: A little help with a work tow vehicle.

A little help with a work tow vehicle.

Hey fellers.
    Atm we are using a small truck at work to tow a 2.5ton trailer but we need to free this truck for other dutys which leads me to my question.
    Which manual single cab ute do you guys think will tow this Weight roughly about 30km a day with long reliability.
    He's two choices are a Toyota hilux 3ltr or mazda bt50 3.2ltr.
    These two where chosen mainly on price but if have any other ideas in the 30grand range I'd love to hear about it.
    Btw the Toyota is a 4x4.
    Thanks heaps fellers.

Re: A little help with a work tow vehicle.

Single cab Amarok will do it and also carry two full size chep pallets in the back.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

That's a lot of weight behind a light single cab ute, how would it feel, would it push you around a lot?

Toyo can only legally tow up to 2.5t, unless they have recently increased the capacity, so you are right on the limit. For a work vehicle it always needs to be 'legal' I would assume?

From those 2 options, there is only 1 choice then!

Cheers
    Brendon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you go a second hand cruiser ute for the same dollars.
    Would not have the creature comforts, but will tow that all day.

Cheers
    Rob

Thanks guys.
    We have to stick to new for tax perporses but we calculated the load again and it's closer to 2 ton so it should be ok if think.
    I towed the loaded trailer today with my Isuzu dmax auto 3lt td and it did it pretty easy so a hilux shouldn't have a problem.

We only use Hiluxs and for some reason the tow and shoulder their max capacity much better than other Utes. I feel they are all built as strong as each other and weigh about the same so one can't handle more weight any better than another.

Toyota are number one because they are smart enough not to be drawn into a pissing contest which does nothing to improve a Utes ability to safely handle a heavy trailer.

Plus the auto Hilux has 360nm now which is enough to tow as it's not something you do fast anyway. And Hilux has the lowest peak torque 1400rpm and holds it longer which is why it doesn't struggle.

On paper it looks sad on the road it performs wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Single cab Amarok will do it and also carry two full size chep pallets in the back.
    And yet I have never seen a single Rok with one in the back. Anyone using a ute in this manner will have an alloy tray so it's an irrelevant marketing gimmick. Still sucked you in by the sounds of it. Must be such a relief for you to carry both of your pallets at once now. Can't imagine how the pallets got moved around before the Rok came along. Nice family car but.

Go the Dmax mate. Mate of mine has one, 4 door with a tub, tows a goose neck horse float with 2 horses, shower bed etc. goes off for weeks at a time so has a lot of gear in there. He said it shits all over Toyota's for price, comfort, reliability and power.

Quote Originally Posted by Gon Fishun View Post
    Go the Dmax mate. Mate of mine has one, 4 door with a tub, tows a goose neck horse float with 2 horses, shower bed etc. goes off for weeks at a time so has a lot of gear in there. He said it shits all over Toyota's for price, comfort, reliability and power.
    Reliability? How long has he had it? Because of that claim I don't believe anything you just wrote.

Come back and say that after 7 years of work use and 300,000kms and only having to change the oil, tyres, clutch and brake pads. Then I'll believe it's as reliable as the Hilux.

The only car I have personally seen go that distance is the D22 Navara, still have one nearing 350,000kms and not a think has gone wrong. The body has had it but mechanically it's as good as the day it was bought.

And that includes missing quite a few services and never being looked after (or washed). The Hiluxes are treated the same only they are still quiet and comfortable after all the abuse. The D22 not so much.