Thread: Moreton Bay Diver Whiting

Moreton Bay Diver Whiting

Did a quick run over to the Sand hills on the Southern end of Moreton Island to hunt down a feed of Diver Whiting. Ekka Wed and a glassed out Bay, what more could you want !!

Found 20 boats over there doing the same thing, so we joined the pack.
    The fish were in tight schools, you were either catching squat or pulling them in hand over fist. With a bit of persistance my crew of 3 were getting our share with fish quickly adding up on deck when we were sitting right on the fish . Squid and worms for bait, catching them 2 at a time !! Some quality mixed in there too, up to 28 to 30cm

With about 100 in the esky it was time to go, with a run back across the bay in perfect conditions.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sand hills divers.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	95547  

Re: Moreton Bay Diver Whiting

Nice quality there Craigie, bet those alveys where whirring
    Tangles KFC

Yeah Mike, some decent size amongst them ! It was amazing, you could drift for ages and not even get a bite but soon as you sat on a school, it was fast and furious action ! better to just drop under the boat than cast out, seemed like the fish were hiding in the shade of the hull ?

I have heard whiting like the shade and up at Noosa i used to get them casting up current from someone anchored and get hit as it drifted under their boat

Good one Craig, any preference on tides? Ive always seem to do better over there on a run out.
    Cheers
    Bill

Hi Bill,

We got these on the run in tide but I have no idea on the best tides ?

Cheers
    Craigie

I like the run out. Dont ask why. Just seem to do better