Thread: New Structure Scan Sounder Advise

New Structure Scan Sounder Advise

Hey Guys, I need your feedback on Hummingbird and Lowrance structure scan sounders.

I know that there is a new lowrance touch screen coming out after xmas.
    What I have heard about Lowrance is that if there is any problem with it, they can take months to fix the problem.

Hummingbird has a 72hr turn around.

How easy are they to use and understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Fishfreak.

Re: New Structure Scan Sounder Advise

touch screens are out although I haven't seen a twelve yet. I think navico has improved their customer service. I personally dislike touch screens, finger marks all over screen you accidently touch it (ocean) and you have done something. I would suggest the biggest screen possible (mine way too small still) as I have HDS 10 gen2 w/SS, plat card, dr depth software w/BT and SS and I love this technology humminbird don't do dr depth or structure map overlay. big plus IMO I have my Structure scan working reasonably well 40m(good enough to overlay and redraw contours and maps and define bottom hardness.

Humminbird does have 360 coming out soon though which I think is awesome bit of gear but at $2k or more for the an add on it is super expensive.
    I have always been impressed by navicos service but my last dealing with them was 7yrs ago. but they do have the 5yr advantage warranty another plus for them I reckon.
    Also absolutely stoked with ease of use on this unit with quick keys down the bottom and menus super quick and easy to use.

i have a humminbird 798ci and it's fantastic but i only fish fairly shallow, to 40m or so, after that you really need to look at the normal sounder, i'd stay away from touch screens, interestingly found some wonkys the other day that didn't show up on the normal sounder as they were partially filled with sand, awesome bit of kit and couldn't imagine fishing without one now.. as one guy put it it's like trying to find fish in the fog without one.. but for deeper stuff regularly i'd say forget about it.

Thanks guys for your advise. The problem with lowrance is there service and customer relations, as I've heard they really don't have any.

g'day fishfreak, i have the lowrance structure scan which is linked to my simrad nss8 touch screens and love it. awesome bit of gear. in regards to customer relations the company which runs lowrance and simrad, navico, have been helpful a number of times through a direct phone number to a technician. also i had a screen replaced recently which was around a 7 day turnaround that i thought was pretty good. hope this helps.

G'day

I've just installed a Simrad NSS8 in my new boat, simply INCREDIBLE.

Totally customizable. It is a hybrid, being both touch and simple buttons for navigation of the menus. I have just ordered a screen protector for it, help keep the fish slime and salt off of it.

Navico (importers of lowrance and simrad) have picked up their game a hell of a lot with regards to customer service, so if you hear different, just ask how old that information is?

Dave.
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au

I have the hds5 with ss and just recently added the hds7 touch screen. I must say, having both, you can't go past the touch screen. Its like the iPhone....you just gotta have one.
    It is really simple to use, especially selecting the source. I only fish the bay or close inshore to 40m and works fine. Good luck with whichever you choose

hey fishfreak,
    i cant really comment on the hb units as ive had very little to do with them.
    As for lowrance i cant speak highly enough.

i hear alot of people saying that the lowrane units are alot clearer and alot more user friendly. i use to say i would not go fishing without an electic motor but now id leave it at home if i could only have my structure scan.

I have 3 units on my boat all linked together and they all share information between each other in an instant. Its great for plotting fish at the helm, jumping up on the leccy and the marks are on the front unit and allows you to pin point your fish. Lowrance units can backtrack though your soundings and can use the cursor to scroll across the screen and put a gps mark right ontop of the structure or schooled fish which is a great feature.

Im about to get a 9in touch screen but havent played with one on the water yet but am looking forward to the ease of use with them and the personalized customisation you get with them . And with structure scan built into the touch units it saves alot of mounting space, cables and money. If your on the south side of brisbane you can pop round and have a play with my units and could give you a bit of a run down on them. just shoot me a pm if you want.

As stated above Navico have stepped up there commitment to customer service the last couple of years. I had a 7in unit play up and receive a new unit within a week. so i was happy with that.
    If you wish to learn more about reading and getting the most from your Lowrance units or learning more about fishing with artificial baits I will come out in the comfort of your own boat for one on one coaching. Please call for more information.