Thread: electric moter advice

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

electric moter advice

g,day all, i would love some info on which motor and size for a 4.2 tinny im an old fella and know nothing about them,but i want one so i can sneek up on some jack in my local river.
    cheers,hilly

Re: electric moter advice

a 54lbs would be good for a tinny of that size, dont forget you also have to factor in the cost of a good battery 100-120 amp should see you well.
    bow mounts are alot better for that style of fishing but come at an extra cost over the transom mount. The bow mounts are better and eaiser to control because they pull the boat along rather than the transom mount that has to push the boat.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Yeh somewhere around 45 -55 pound thrust, and like benny said get a large deep-cycle battery. A 4.2 tinnie would prob need a long shaft if you buy a bowmount too.
    I currently own a Wireless Motorguide 55 bowmount, it's ok, but I'll never stray from Minn Kota again.
    ~~~><))))*>

Yes, agree with all of the above, we have a heavy 4.2m tinny with a 55 Minn Kota, and it is without doubt our favourite fishing accessory, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good! If you live anywhere near Pine River and want to line up a test drive with us you'd be welcome.

Tim and Trace

Blog Entries

thanks guys now to find a well priced minn kota,
    cheers, hilly

minn kota is a good motor and as already told here the bow mount is the way to go for your purposes, but be aware there are some other steps to take - you need to have the motor mounted and if your tinnie doesnt have a spot for one then you are likely looking at having one welded on. i used ARK welding in Virginia to get mine done. you also will need the cabling to connect the motor to the battery, most use anderson plugs but you can also get the wiring / plug kit from minn kota for about $30. i would also suggest you spend the extra 99 for the quick release plate - very handy in case you ever want to take the motor off. you obviously need to charge the battery from time to time and its worth having a quality charger for your new battery. oh, and lastly you may need to invest in a bigger esky for all the additional fish you will probably catch with your new motor

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

I have a 3.2m tinny for fishing small creeks. Needed an electric so got a 54lb Watersnake tiller steer. Motor was $280 and the Century deep-cycle with 2yr warranty was $190. It is a 42" shaft so it allows me to stand up and cast and I can steer by nudging the tiller to where I want to go. If I sit down and steer the tiller is above my head so I usually stand. With tiller steer you can troll easily. When I'm nudging around snags I usually drive the boat backwards as speed is not the priority.

I usually barra fish Hinchinbrook on my mate's 4.6m with bow mount Watersnake 44lb. It pushes the boat around easily. Foot pedals are an acquired art and you'll see fantastic reviews of the Minnkota ipilots but they cost a lot so you need to be dedicated.

Blog Entries

g,day guys i got a minn kota,.
    now i am looking for some one to mount it for me if any one knows of some one on the south side of brissy.
    cheers, hilly.

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    g,day guys i got a minn kota,.

cheers, hilly.
    Excellent, looking forward to the reports when you test drive it. Hope you love it as much as we do,.

Tim and Trace