Thread: High's and Low's of Freshwater Fishing???

High's and Low's of Freshwater Fishing???

Despite a large low pressure front moving in over the weekend and bringing with it steady soaking rain, plenty of anglers made their way to the Lake Burrendong with the large rain clouds looming.
    Scott Hazlewood and I fished both Saturday and Sunday, and found the fishing tough for the first half of the trip. Fishing with Soft Plastic Lures and baits we only managed four fish for the first day’s fishing. The low pressure system moved in overnight and the fish seemed to like the change, as Sunday morning saw the fishing heat right up! The first cast of the day produced a fighting fit Golden Perch of 46cm, and they came thick and fast from then on. The rain started to well and truly come down midmorning and the fish moved right to the top of the water column, as they could be seen engulfing the lure just centimetres below the surface on several occasions which made for exciting fishing.
    The weekend’s shifting weather patterns seemed to prove the theory that barometric pressure can be a determining factor in the level of success anglers experience on different fishing trips. It has long been debated within angling circles that high and low pressure weather systems can shut down or trigger fish to feed. The research so far seems to be some what inconclusive, but has uncovered interesting links between fish feeding habits and pressure on the swim bladder. Undoubtedly, the more time spent on the water in a variety of weather conditions will ultimately mean more fish for the angler in the long run.

Do any Aus Fisho's have an opinion on weather high's and low's and its effects on success in the fresh??

Kind Regards, Pod
    P.S- Hope to see you all at the Lake Burrendong Classic at Easter time next year! 100% Not for profit comp ($20,000 worth of prizes) with all proceeds to re stocking and rec fishing projects!

Re: High's and Low's of Freshwater Fishing???

Good question that has varied opinion Pod. I believe it has to be factor because it is weather/nature we are dealing with here and fish are very much controlled by the effects of the weather/nature as well as other factors some not natural. e.g noise. Personally I have found the barometer issue very baffling.

I have hit my local dam many times above 120hPa for no result at all. Many times we have expected a great session due to the barometer and got nothing. Other times we've been out when there has been a spike in the barometer and have got good fish. Recently I went out on a very low barometer expecting nothing and did quite well.

Surely it is ONE of the factors. I just don't know what it has to coincide with to bring on a great session. - cheers Richard

Re: High's and Low's of Freshwater Fishing???

I am starting to think that the (for want of a better way to put it) "shift" time between weather patterns is the time to fish. For example, if a stinking big high has been sitting over the centre of the state for a long period, when it starts to "shift"- its the best time to get stuck in and have a fish. Same with a low, if its been set in for a while, when it starts to "Shift" I look to go fishing as well.
    I am in the same boat (no pun intended) as you on the being BAFFLED side of things though Richard! Just when I seem to grow some understanding- somthing happens that makes me scratch my head and think it all over again!
    Cheers, Pod.