Thread: putting sand on a deck?

Question putting sand on a deck?

hey all,

we will be putting our trimaran back into the water soon after we rebuilt the outer floats (inside and out) and will have to get started on the deck soon. my question is this, we redid the deck some years back and sprinkled sand on it after we painted it to give it grip, i suggested putting another layer of paint over it but no. so in time the sand wore off, worse yet whenever you walked on it then walked into the ccabin you would drag a bucket load of sand in with you. so is it better to put sand on after your last coat while its drying or the second last and use a coarser sand to compensate for the layewr of paint, and if you have any special ways of putting it on, its a 38ft tri with the gaps built in between the floats so theres a bit of deck space to put sand on. last time we used salt shakers. any ideas or comments/what no to do's also would be greatly appreciated.
    ben

Re: putting sand on a deck?

Ben,

On the trawler we used to sprinkle it around while the second last coat was drying then paint over it again later.

Dunno if that's the right, wrong or otherwise method, but it worked for us.

Isn't there a better product than sand though?

I 'sanded' a floor in an old blokes boat ages ago.
    The ply was painted in two pac and just after I put on the last coat I used my bead blasting gun and blasted beed blasting glass in a course grind into the paint. A few beads have let go but the vast majority stayed put.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

better to buy some non slip paint and forget all the sand (that is if you want to do it properly)

i think we only went for sand because it is a cheap option, its my grandfathers boat and he just spent a heap doing the hulls and having to pay for 8 months worth of slip time, that an it dosent require to much messing around, just sprinkle while you paint.!

noelm, the boat has a slippery gradient, and with old ladies walking on it when when accidents will happen, and the fencing around the outside is only knee high, would probably feel better with something to grip old and young feet.

Epiglass (I think?) make a product for running through spray guns.

or,

When I was younger we had timber dinghies built like furniture with lots of polished timber. We used sugar with resin. Once cured the sugar is washed out so that it cannot damage the other surfaces by coming loose uder foot. Had to do some tests to get it right though.

There is a product that paint shops sell that has the same effect as sand. It is pretty cheap, and does not break out of the paint in the way that you describe sand does. I don't know what it is called, but I have used it on the deck of my boat with not problems.

International Intergrit is what you require. Buy the right product, do it once and its done and enjoy your efforts!!

Ben , go down to your local concrete suppliers shed and get some non-slip glass.
    It's glass crushed down and is used on decorative concrete to give it non-slip.
    It is tiny round ( not sharp) glass bits and you can get different grades to suit your purpose, Just mix it into the sealer/paint you are using and it comes out looking like sand , but it is already graded and clean.
    Probably the same stuff as intergrit just not with an expensive name.
    Worth a look anyway.
    Ta

thanks for all the replies guys, some great info

B_E_N, we used to put sugar (raw) to stop slip on kids sailing boat floor. You sprinkle it over area when paint is still wet. Once dry, water will disolve the sugar and leave indents for grip. Lot easier to redo later, as don't have to sand the sand off. Cheers Pete