Thread: Rod Holder Specifics

Rod Holder Specifics

HI again.

I have a tight time window to have a baitboard made with a rod holder located at each side - all in SS.

What is the best angle (to the horizontal) the rod holders should be?

What other key criteria should be considered when fabricating/selceting a rod holder?

Things to consider - sensitivty of fish bite, no rod in water after big bite or bump over wave, etc..

Splash
    Last edited by Splash; 17-06-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Re: Rod Holder Specifics

Angles are personal preference the two outside ones of ours are angled to the side and to the front slightly....about 20-25 degrees and the middle two are only 10 degrees or so if I remember okky dokkky.
    The main thing is angle them so you can get an even spread in conjunction with the rod holders on the gunnels and the bait-board for when your trolling.
    But don't forget to make the top lip curled outwards a tad or have some plastic inserts to stop chaffing of the rods in the holders.
    Also make sure they bung a little bit of flat (key) in the bottom for the gimbals to lock into.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thansk Finga.

Thi s angle seems very low - why this particular angle?

And, how does this key ensure the rod does not swim after bite, etc

Splash

All to do with the spread of the rods...the angles that is
    Have a look in the bottom of your gunnel holders. They have a key as well. It stops the rods turning and going all over the shop.

Wink Re: Rod Holder Specifics

splash, mate whoever is building the baitboard should have some kind of idea as to the angles, and i put a round rod in the base of my holders for gimbles to sit into and guy who is building this should also know what he,s doing and if not find someone that does cheers ian

Quote Originally Posted by sid_fishes View Post
    splash, mate whoever is building the baitboard should have some kind of idea as to the angles, and i put a round rod in the base of my holders for gimbles to sit into and guy who is building this should also know what he,s doing and if not find someone that does cheers ian
    Good idea in using the round stuff. Good on ya Ian.

thnka sboys.

what are gimbles?

The round bit at the bottom of the rod mate.Some are round rubber others are hard plastic or stainless-ussually a cross grove in the base that locks into your harness to allow movement one plane(Up and down) (this would lock into the rod that you may put in the base). Id make sure the holder is the same as the bait board ie SS on both. Easier to keep the finishes on them if the metals are the same. So if you go stainless go stainless on everything.

Cheers Chris
    Last edited by Lovey80; 20-06-2007 at 12:10 AM.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

If you already have other rod holders in the boat and you are happy with them, why not replicate the angle of those?