Thread: Fork Tailed Catfish in Somerset?

Fork Tailed Catfish in Somerset?

A report that fork tailed catfish are now being caught in Somerset is a concern.
    If anyone catches one there, please kill it & then let let me know about it.
    Some idiots at Wivenhoe were recently asked what they were doing with the heap of small forkies they were catching. Reply was "we're gonna use them for cod live bait".
    If you want to use them for live bait, fine, use them in Wivenhoe. DON'T take them anywhere else. To anyone who has taken a forky to Somerset for live-bait, you are a BLODDY IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!! # > > >

For those that do the right thing, your help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Re: Fork Tailes Catfish in Somerset?

fitzy they are not natives i pressume

Re: Fork Tailed Catfish in Somerset?

Hi Redback,
    They are a native fish, but were never native to the Stanley River or Lake Somerset.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

hi fitzy
    ??? no problem were they already in the brisbane river
    and there must of been one hell of a barrier on the stanley for them not to be there just curious
    cheers Redback

There was possibly a barrier in the old Stanley Gorge that is underwater now, about where the Somerset wall is.
    I'm told that forkies were extremely rare even in the Brisbane River where Big W is now, until the 74 floods. After that they were pretty thick there.

fitz

if your ever thinking of having a catfish buster just tell me ill be down the brisbane river in a flash!
    cheers jack
    that goes for lake wivenhoe too just give me the word